Koran Burning
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koran Burning
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay. There is an extremist pastor in Canada who is planning on having a public Koran burning. As a Christian I'm all for standing for what you believe in, but this is just... dumb. This type of behaviour does nothing, but push people far away from Christianity because they feel creeped out and provokes an already hostile nation.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh boy, I've been hearing about this on the radio. ALL extremists, of any "religion" are nutjobs.

Big problem here is many muslims overseas, with limited access to news, will only see newsfeeds of this occuring and assume it is more typical ugly american/christian behavior. I hate the muslim extremist as much as the next guy, but this crap just adds fuel to the fire that doesn't need to be there. This guy is an idiot, doing his best to propogate holy war.

I am an athiest. However, I truly beleive that if there is some higher power, that the christians, jews, muslims and anyone else all beleive in the same being, with the differences being human translation of those events from so long ago. And IF that being exists, it has to be shaking it's head at the morons walking the earth.

Holy War. The ultimate oxymoron.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well technically Canada and Mexico are America too. But yeah I'm still irked about hearing Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter were banned for being "irreligious".... and that's the tip of the ice berg on the "Seriously?" factor Laughing

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I'm honestly worried about our troops. Like Kurt said, if the extreme Muslims get word of this, which I'm sure they already have, what is going to stop them from making a foolish attack on our troops just out of anger? And does anyone think this will make them not want to do another 9/11 in the future?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I feel the sudden need better clarify my statement as I am going through old posts...I can organize my thoughts better, and certainly spell better.

I think what I was trying to say was that it is never a good idea to fight hate with more hate. It only fuels more problems and creates a bigger divide between cultures. As a Christian, I have no reverence toward their book, but as an American I recognize the importance of respecting other people's decisions to follow different religions. What's great about America is that it's full of lots of different cultures and we strive to respect one another. This man in Florida may have been within his rights to burn that book, but that doesn't mean that he should have. The act was obviously directed towards violent radicals, so the potential unintended consequences to what could be seen as an extreme insult don't make the act seem worth it, especially if it could put Americans at further risk. It just seems like there are better ways to fight radicalism than fanning the flames and pushing away the population of non-violent muslims.

Last edited by Commander_Zasso on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I also thought it was Florida, and I also agree that the man is insane. I am a very devout Christian, but I would never have a Koran burning! Out of respect for those who want to believe that religion (it is their choice, after all), and also because of the retaliation it may, and most probably will, incite! Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
I also thought it was Florida, and I also agree that the man is insane. I am a very devout Christian, but I would never have a Koran burning! Out of respect for those who want to believe that religion (it is their choice, after all), and also because of the retaliation it may, and most probably will, incite! Confused

I'd also like to just point out that its not just Christian troops fighting overseas. Its quite probable that we have Muslim soldiers serving, at the very least we have Muslims helping our troops survive.

How is is supporting our troops if you burn the religious book of a comrade who may have saved a soldier's life? I don't think you have the right to ask someone to die to protect you if you're going to spend that gift hating everything they believed in. What ever happened to Voltaire's "I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death your right to say it"?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well, the feelings of that quote can change a bit if the people of that religion committed what was basically an act of war against you, and not even a military one. Attacking civilians. Obviously it's made a lot of people not like the Muslims at all. But this is not the right way to go about it. Confused

And, it was an event that took place everywhere. There was a guy in Florida, but there were probably dudes in Canada too. Confused

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Huh, I thought it was Canada. My mistake.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

No, you're probably correct Reep. Like I said, it was a thing all over the US, not just Florida, so I'm sure some Canadians could have done it too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Well, I'm a Christian, so obviously I don't believe there is anything "holy" about the Koran, but having a public book burning? Not worth the risk to Americans in Islam nations. It's just foolish. Confused

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Not worth the risk to American's in America. Or Canadians in Canada.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Excellent point.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote  

Old Master Ben wrote:
Well, the feelings of that quote can change a bit if the people of that religion committed what was basically an act of war against you, and not even a military one. Attacking civilians. Obviously it's made a lot of people not like the Muslims at all. But this is not the right way to go about it. Confused

And, it was an event that took place everywhere. There was a guy in Florida, but there were probably dudes in Canada too. Confused

Granted and I don't mean to defend those extremists. My point with Voltaire is that the Koran doesn't inherently encourage that (witness how the majority of Muslims aren't attacking us and many live in America peacefully as fellow Americans), ergo there is no reason to hate the Koran itself or see it as pure evil.

Obviously you shouldn't defend an extreme, potentially violent opinion. But you do have the responsibility to protect people from harm if their view is peaceful even if you don't agree with that specific world view. At least that is how I understand what Voltaire intended.

The book burning also misses the point that Muslims are Americans too and very well could be serving so this is more than just endangering out troops. In a way it mocks what they've sacrificed for. Among other things burning the Koran has the potential create a movement that equals the hatred of the very people our troops have been fighting. I don't believe our troops have fought and died to protect some "right" to hate an entire group of people simply because they worship from a different book.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

This is true, but people burn other books, which I guess could be seen as mocking the freedoms that our troops fight for. Confused

While we are on the subject - what do you all think of building a Mosque two blocks from the World Trade Center site?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 1 of 3