Koran Burning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Cerrinea wrote:

The perpetrator of the Koran burning can dress it up any way he likes and excuse it with bible quotations, but his motivation is hatred, plain and simple.

Which in itself shows that he is not even a good student of the Bible- and especially the New Testament. Peter, Paul, and company didn't seem to need to go into a temple to Diana, or otherwise and burn their sacred writings- they did this thing called reasoning; in fact Paul even praises the zeal of the Athenians even though he believed it misdirected. Unfortunately too many didn't learn his lesson and they, like this nut-job pastor, get trotted out as typical examples and products of their inherent beliefs- and maybe sometimes we deserve that.

Being a Christian (leaning Orthodox Christian) I don't agree with Islam, I've read a lot of the Koran and Hadith, been many times to the middle east and have seen what Sharia Law can bring- and in my view it isn't good. But, on the other hand, I have met scores of these people who deserve my basic human respect, who sat me down next to a campfire and offered me tea, who laugh and try and talk with me. I believe the Koran and Hadith are wrong, I believe the path they teach is wrong; but to then burn it and hope that people will come and meet Jesus? Who would want the false Jesus that that book-burning represents? To me that may be as dangerous, if not more so, than any particular Islamic teaching.

Last edited by ironsiderodger1 on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Old Master Ben wrote:
You're perfectly entitled to destroy any personal possession that you want. Can't make that illegal, and singling out specific religious book burnings as illegal would be mixing government with religion.

Ultimately that is the reality, but I would just hope that some would rise above that- when it comes to purposefully destroying something to offend someone and prove a point. This pastor has not drawn any sane person to want to change their views on Islam.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, I agree that it was wrong. I was just saying why this isn't illegal. If you start telling people what they can and can't do to their own possessions, like destroying them...that won't go over well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Old Master Ben wrote:
Oh, I agree that it was wrong. I was just saying why this isn't illegal. If you start telling people what they can and can't do to their own possessions, like destroying them...that won't go over well.

I in turn totally agree, I hate to use the cliche, but that would be a slippery slope.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

ironsiderodger1 wrote:
I believe the Koran and Hadith are wrong, I believe the path they teach is wrong; but to then burn it and hope that people will come and meet Jesus?

And that's the last thing this is going to do. What does this pastor expect to happen? All these "extremists" not only fail to draw people to Jesus, they draw people away from Jesus. People look at things like this and think, "Well that was weird. I'll just back away slowly ."

Heck, it's even happened to me a few times when I was younger. I remember two times in particular. One time, a while back, I was in the back seat of our car, driving through Toronto. There were people with 'The End Is Near' picket signs shouting and getting way to close to the car for my liking. More recently my family went to a church that was really intense (I can't remember why for the life of me now). Preachers screaming at the audience they'd got to Hell if they didn't do as he told them (which, of course, elevated himself). I couldn't remember a Scripture quote throughout the whole thing.

That stuff freaked me out and I'm a Christian! I can only imagine what this stuff does to non-Christians. Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 3 of 3