How did you first find out or get introduced into the EU?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

well, when i was little, i played a lot of comuter games, my favorite game was indiana jones and the infernal machine, then my friend had lent me his copy of Jedi knight: Dark forces 2, and i was forever changed. soon i had gotten jedi academy which further interested me in the EU, the first novel i had read was shadows of the empire, which also holds a lot of memories from my childhood since i had a lot of the Shadows of the empire toys. and thats it Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ah! A fellow Infernal Machine player! Okay, I know this isn't the Indiana Jones thread, but I must touch on this for a moment.

I used to play that game over and over on our old computer, and I would always play it in the middle of the night. The game was shrouded in fog, making it impossible to see more than a few feet in front of you. That thing gave me the creeps at night when things would jump out at you, especially the sharks.

The hilarious part, though, was that the only reason there was "fog" was that our computer couldn't handle the graphics! I have since played the game for nostalgic reasons on a newer computer, and I was utterly horrified at the terrible graphics and complete lack of fog! I hadn't been able to see anything well enough the first time around to realize how blocky the graphics were, and the "fog" effect of not being able to see anything added a creepiness that originally upped the game tenfold in awesomeness. I try to pretend the game I recently played was a cheap ripoff. I'd rather remember what I played all those years ago in the middle of the night, shrouded in spooky greatness.

So yeah...I have fond, though odd, memories of Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

haha, i never had the fog, but my computer did like to freeze up every time i fired any rifles, so i completed the entire game using a whip and pistol (which makes an authentic indy expirience) it is a great game, and i only wish indy games now were more like the infernal machine, no other indy game could match that story and epicness, even if indy's hands were triangle blocks Laughing it also took me forever to beat, even with a stratagy guide, maybe i'm just a bad gamer, but you certainly get you money's worth with YEARS of awesome gameplay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

My first novels were the OT novelizations. Started reading them just after the turn of the century. Was hooked after that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Does that count as EU? Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I barely read any of the books, but I got some at Borders in '03, and I've been ever since amazed by the vast universe that is Star Wars.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Reepicheep wrote:

Yes, because they have deleted scenes and such that "expands" on the movies. Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My family was going on a trip to Florida in the early 90s, and my parents bought me the Original Trilogy novel. I was a really little kid (third grade, I think) and a good deal of it went over my head. But I still loved the idea of reading about Star Wars, and when I stumbled upon The Thrawn Trilogy in bookstores not long after (you mean there were more stories than what the movies showed?) I was hooked for life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

Yes, because they have deleted scenes and such that "expands" on the movies. Wink

Rolling Eyes Right, right.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

When I was nine years old this movie came out that was simply called Star Wars, later to be known as ANH. Watching Carrie Fisher lay on the bench in the Deathstar asking Luke if he was a little short to be a stormtrooper kick started me into puberty I think. Shocked

After that movie, anything that had the name Star Wars on it, I wanted. I read Splinter of The Mind's Eye when it came out and got any comics that I think Marvel began doing back then. When I was ten I told my older brother in all seriousness that I was going to marry Princess Leia some day.

I haven't read every book that ever came out as real life does tug you in every which direction and you sometimes lose focus but it has been a thirty one year obsession.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

While I had vague memories of seeing SW OT as a young kid, I officially saw OT: Special Editions in theaters at the prompting of my dad. After that, we went to a bookstore and he pointed out at a "True at Bakura" paperback and from then on, I vowed to read every SW novel written in order. Nowadays, I am more selective with books but have retained my fangirl-ness well beyond family expectations. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Revmacd wrote:
When I was nine years old this movie came out that was simply called Star Wars, later to be known as ANH. Watching Carrie Fisher lay on the bench in the Deathstar asking Luke if he was a little short to be a stormtrooper kick started me into puberty I think. Shocked

Laughing

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was given a subscription to the (translated) Marvel Star Wars comics by my mother in mid-80s (I still remember the speculation about the plans for Clone Wars -movies in letters section...) and soon afterwards got from a used books store my first SW books, (translated) novelizations of ANH and ESB plus Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

My actual first memory of anything connected to Star Wars is seeing in a newspaper an advert for RotJ's showing in a cinema back in 1983...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Hmmm...you say translated. Do you mean literally translated? Like English isn't your first language? Cause if so, that's cool. I never would have guessed, honestly. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yes, literally. My first EU books in English were the novels in Zahn's original trilogy - which I read in a wrong order... Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 3 of 6