Star Wars Saga in 3D
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Wars Saga in 3D
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Read the whole story here: http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2010-09-29-starwars29_ST_N.htm

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on this.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If anyone can do it, it's the people over at Lucasfilm and ILM.

Very interested in it, and will definitely hash out money to go see 'em. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

If I can see them in theaters, I am so there. The 3D aspect? Well...it's way too early to judge that. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Comments forthcoming on Thursday... Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
If I can see them in theaters, I am so there. The 3D aspect? Well...it's way too early to judge that. Wink

Have you ever seen them in theaters before?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quote  

I'd like to see them in theaters. I got to see the special edition of A New Hope in a theater. Getting to see the whole OT would be cool. However, as of yet, I've never watched a 3D movie so I don't know what I'm missing out on.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I'd like to see them in theaters. I got to see the special edition of A New Hope in a theater. Getting to see the whole OT would be cool. However, as of yet, I've never watched a 3D movie so I don't know what I'm missing out on.

You're missing out on an aspect that enhances no story and usually comes with gimmicky shots that were put in the movie only because its in 3D. Seeing Star Wars in 3D will be cool but ultimately won't do anything for the films overall and my fear is that since Lucas is known for adding to and subtracting from his movies that he'll add scenes that fall into the category of "gimmick"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Report is the films will not be changed in any way besides the 3D. No new scenes or scenes removed. But I agree. 3D is a pointless gimmick that usually is placed on films with no plot and bad acting so that the movie will still sell. I wish Star Wars wasn't doing that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:20 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm certainly not holding my breath or anything. If I did that when talk started about the saga in 3D, I would have been dead several years ago. I'm sure it'll happen, but I highly doubt it'll be in 2012. That's just what fans have come to expect from Lucasfilm. Delay.

As far as the format itself; I have never watched a movie in 3D. The only thing close to that that I have experienced is the Terminator 3D thing at Universal. I didn't like it. I'll probably give TPM a try, but if it makes me sick, I wont see the others. I would rather spend my money on EU or something instead of paying for more movie tickets for a mediocre rehash of the Saga. I say mediocre because viewing it in 3D may actually not be enjoyable. They're only doing this to milk the cow. Not to improve the quality of the film.

If this was a concerted effort to actually improve the quality (don't confuse that with changing the content, or adding CG; simply improving some of the existing CG and sound that has obvious issues) and not about the 3D gimmick, I'd be on board all the way.

The excuse over the years was that movie theaters weren't ready for the technology, which may have been true. But I also think Lucasfilm wanted someone else to take the big initial risk, to see what the reaction would be. I know 3D has been around for years, but it hasn't been showcased on a SW-like scale until Avatar came along. Now that Cameron is reaping the benefits of that success, Lucas basically has said 'I want some of that.' But can he pull it off with an existing picture? Can his ego allow for another quality clean-up (fixes that fans actually want), or will he simply be gimmick-driven?

This could actually turn out to be the biggest Lucasfilm blunder ever. Time will tell. If that were to happen, I think we would have to kiss the live action series goodbye. Though most EU fans would probably rejoice at the thought of that. Smile

Last edited by Master Optician on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:23 am; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Interesting - I heard films that are altered to 3-D post production (recent Clash of the Titans Movie) turn out far worse than those shot in 3-D (Avatar). On the other hand they have two years instead of months. I am pretty excited for another chance to see the films in the theaters but I am actually more interested in having the movies on blu-ray to be honest.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Old Master Ben wrote:
Report is the films will not be changed in any way besides the 3D. No new scenes or scenes removed. But I agree. 3D is a pointless gimmick that usually is placed on films with no plot and bad acting so that the movie will still sell. I wish Star Wars wasn't doing that.

You mean designed for films with no plot right? Cause all this is adding an effect. SW was never intended for 3D. So think of this as the NEXT special edition you KNEW was coming. Cause when 4D comes we'll see a version in that as well.

Think about this- many clamor to get these as Blu Ray- but 3D is the NEXT Blu-ray- it makes sense that GL will convert the films to that format as well. After all we've been clamoring for it on Blu Ray- he's just staying ahead of the tech.

When the 3D dvd players come out he'll be ready to release the 3D version to that format.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

comanderbly wrote:
Interesting - I heard films that are altered to 3-D post production (recent Clash of the Titans Movie) turn out far worse than those shot in 3-D (Avatar). On the other hand they have two years instead of months. I am pretty excited for another chance to see the films in the theaters but I am actually more interested in having the movies on blu-ray to be honest.

I think it also boils down to the how involved- I've gone to some theaters where the glasses used are clear- this is the best set up, the ones where it's a hockey glasses set up will make for poor 3D experience. but the Read3D set up most are using is a very good effect. I was impressed and I have ALWAYS been skeptical or flat out hated 3D movies with their red and blue glasses.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

There are already 3D players and TVs. He's not ahead - by 2012 3D is old news. And Blu-Ray is not like 3D at all. Blu-Ray just makes the image clearer and better. 3D completely changes how you watch the movie, what you focus on, what you see. And 3D has been put in movies designed for it (Avatar) and placed on movies that were filmed 2D (like Avatar - The Last Airbender). Either way I feel it's done to sell the film, raise ticket prices, and get people to say "Oh, 3D! Let's go see it!", even if the film is so bad that they would normally have skipped it. I feel Star Wars is above that. If George wants to get ahead and show that he can do 3D, make a new movie with it and do it better. Just re-releasing the old films with 3D slapped on seems like an easy way to get some cash and is not original and does not improve the films.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I agree with OMB, but something else was said that makes it make a sort of sense. People will see a movie in 3D and regardless of how dumb it is (avatar...) it is regarded as stunning due to just the visuals. Star Wars will be the same. People who don't like sci-fi or aren't already fans could become fans simply because they wanted to see a 3D movie. I do agree that it'll be a bad conversion as Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans were horrible to see due to the 3D. That and they just weren't good movies...but anyway. This 3D thing is indeed a gimmick and lets say it, George doesn't need the money anymore so I'm just hoping we get new fans and possibly those who find the EU through the 3D films. I know I'll see them all, I do. I admit it. Its gimmicky and I rant against it but I'll see them just because its Star Wars, though seeing the old ones in 3D will no doubt only anger me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Old Master Ben wrote:
Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

Have you ever seen them in theaters before?

Only RotS, and let me tell you. When that surround sound kicked in and the Jedi starfighters came screaming past my head before I even saw them on screen...my jaw dropped in awe and it never closed for the rest of the movie.

RotS comes 4th on my favorite list, because I still consider all the originals better. But if the awesomeness can come anywhere near what I experienced with RotS, I will see the OT in theaters 7,000 times 3D or no.

Main thing I'm holding out hope for, though, is that we have several accessible theaters in our area. And so far, it has never failed that at least one of them has offered a 3D movie in 2D. So...if the 3D turns out to be horrible and ruin the theater experience, I'll just go see the 2D! Very Happy

Of course, that's now, and we're talking 2-3 years away. Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 17