Natural Disasters - Your Stories and Photos

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natural Disasters - Your Stories and Photos
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Here's a thread where we can share photos of natural disasters or just plain storms or something that happened in our areas. For instance, I'm in Louisiana, and Katrina was right on top of us. I know we all see/hear things on the news, but I thought it would be cool to share our own personal photos and stories of things that happened. I thought up the idea when Judicar asked me about Katrina yesterday. So I thought he should get at least partial credit! Smile

Anyway, to start us off, I'll post some pics I have of the aftermath of Katrina:

Our driveway.

Our house.

Our barn.

We live on a highway, and this is it to the left...

...And to the right.

Our church was destroyed, and this picture was taken through the doors that were still standing.

And here's one that'll getcha. It certainly got me. I happen to have a picture from the same angle looking off our porch before and after. Here's before...

...And after.

Granted that the before picture is a few months older than the after picture, but nothing really changed until Katrina. You can see the same three trees standing and fallen, and the background tree line all destroyed. Then the bushy tree that's on the left in the before picture, you can just see it laying over in the after picture at the bottom. All in one day.

But anyway, I thought this would be an interesting thread to share this type of stuff. So feel free to add your own!

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote  

Nice pictures Mara, they say a picture's worth a thousand words and those pictures say quite a bit, especially the before and after shot.

One time we had a tornado 'briefly' touch down in our front yard. I never took any pictures, but it was enough to tear up several tree by the roots and broke all sorts of limbs in the area. We got lucky it didn't hit the house or continue on.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:13 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Good pictures. Were you inspired by our conversation last night?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
-The Code of the Sith

In mourning . . . Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yep, sure was. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote  

Well I wouldn't say it was a disaster but I did get to feel an earthquake last week and a couple aftershocks afterwards. Wasn't any real damage, a few places reported cracks in foundations and such. I thought it was kind of interesting, now I can say I've actually been in one, even though it was a insignificant baby one at that. Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I experienced most of the hurricanes that hit Florida a few years ago. A lot of damage to many of the buildings, and it's taken a long time for the landscape to look like it used to. The time during the hurricane wasn't so bad, but afterwords stunk. It took a lot of work to rebuild some of the stuff. Luckily, nothing directly related to me or my family was damaged besides some roofs and trees.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Shocked Wow. Those are cool. Sorry about all the damage it caused.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1