Faith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Anakinlover89 wrote:
It seems that everyone on this site is Christian which is interesting. It would be interesting to have a Muslim or Hindu come in on this discussion. Here's an interesting thought, do any of you believe that the God of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity is the same God?

I believe that other religions have "echoes of truth", but only one can be totally true. I believe it's Christianity.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Reepicheep wrote:
I believe that other religions have "echoes of truth", but only one can be totally true. I believe it's Christianity.

Very well said, Reep. I think I'm in agreement. Every religion is looking for some kind of truth to hold on to, but they can't all be right.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I believe Christianity is real. I have seen the works and miracles of God when people call on Him. I have called on God, and He has listened, and showed me that He listened. I cannot, by any means, deny it,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote  

Quote:
"...do any of you believe that the God of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity is the same God?"

Well technically they are all the same god. Islam merely believes that the word of the Christian Bible was corrupted and that Muhammad received the word in its uncorrupted form. Their god is the same, just different views of his teachings.

And Christians built their religion from Judaism. I don't think there are many Christians would would say that the god Moses spoke to wasn't their god.

So really it's not a question of whether those three religions have different gods, it's all a matter of their views on God and whether each respective religion thinks the other one is wrong or not.

Now the real question is whether you believe the god/gods the various American Indian tribes worshiped, the gods the Egyptians worshiped, and the gods the Hindus worshiped are all just different views of God. If a group were to find God but to break God down into different aspects, thus creating several gods, is it still God? I always found it interesting how the Hindus believed in thousands of gods and that all of them were part of one god, just different aspects of him.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
Anakinlover89 wrote:
It seems that everyone on this site is Christian which is interesting. It would be interesting to have a Muslim or Hindu come in on this discussion. Here's an interesting thought, do any of you believe that the God of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity is the same God?

Why does one have to be correct though? They could all be slightly wrong and the ONE is not even followed for all we really know.

I mean that's the joy of this- it all boils down to having faith in the belief.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:

Now the real question is whether you believe the god/gods the various American Indian tribes worshiped, the gods the Egyptians worshiped, and the gods the Hindus worshiped are all just different views of God. If a group were to find God but to break God down into different aspects, thus creating several gods, is it still God? I always found it interesting how the Hindus believed in thousands of gods and that all of them were part of one god, just different aspects of him.

As a Cherokee I always saw it as the "Spirits" were more like Angels sent to watch over that part of gods world. And that the natives knew that they had a relationship to God through them.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I tend to believe that all religions are basically the same, they all have moral codes and guidelines how to live your life correctly, for example each religion has a goal to whether it's getting off the wheel of life, reaching nirvana, or going to heaven. They all want to reach basically a better existence than that on the Earth.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So I'm back in this thread with the discussion I started with Reep in Gripe of the Day. Reep I checked the article and it kind of has to do with my issue but there's one thing that bothers me. I almost don't want to describe my encounter with God because it was really really personal but I'll just say this: I'm sure.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Anakinlover89 wrote:
I tend to believe that all religions are basically the same, they all have moral codes and guidelines how to live your life correctly, for example each religion has a goal to whether it's getting off the wheel of life, reaching nirvana, or going to heaven. They all want to reach basically a better existence than that on the Earth.

Some religions do, those who have become the "world religions", but in many others the existence beyond death has been but a bleak afterthought to life on Earth, like in Greek, Roman and Norse mythologies to average folk. In those religions, the goal of religious worship lay in things you could achieve when still alive here on Earth.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
So I'm back in this thread with the discussion I started with Reep in Gripe of the Day. Reep I checked the article and it kind of has to do with my issue but there's one thing that bothers me. I almost don't want to describe my encounter with God because it was really really personal but I'll just say this: I'm sure.

This is a tough one. It's a very serious thing to believe you've heard God giving directions to you. One thing to consider is how each of your 'callings' match up with what you know about God. Which one more closely matches His character or which one matches up more Biblically.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Reep

Without detail all I can tell you is that my experience was fairly life changing. Unfortunately so was hers and neither is contradictory to the Biblical God, either Old Testament or New Testament. It continues to get worse.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Unfortunatley not a lot I can say to that without more details, but I understand your reasons for not giving them.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Unfortunatley not a lot I can say to that without more details, but I understand your reasons for not giving them.

Its just that its very personal between her and I and its actually caused me a lot more damage because while she's questioning what she heard she is better with blind faith where as I'm jaded and need something concrete. The reason this is so damaging is because the ONE TIME I felt something from God it turns out to be contradicted by something someone else felt and its been really hard. I don't even feel comfortable in church anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Jedi Joe wrote:
I believe Christianity is real. I have seen the works and miracles of God when people call on Him. I have called on God, and He has listened, and showed me that He listened. I cannot, by any means, deny it,
I agree with you Joe, i am a Christian and i think its the true faith, i too have seen God work miracles in my life and in others and i believe that this faith is true

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Littlewood defines a miracle as an exceptional event of special significance occurring at a frequency of one in a million. He assumes that during the hours in which a human is awake and alert, a human will experience one event per second, which may be either exceptional or unexceptional (for instance, seeing the computer screen, the keyboard, the mouse, this article, etc.). Additionally, Littlewood supposes that a human is alert for about eight hours per day.

As a result a human will in 35 days have experienced under these suppositions about one million events. Accepting this definition of a miracle, one can be expected to observe one miraculous occurrence within the passing of every 35 consecutive days – and therefore, according to this reasoning, seemingly miraculous events are actually commonplace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littlewood%27s_law

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 3 of 27