S3 - Episode 6: The Academy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
S3 - Episode 6: The Academy
 PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote  

Season 3 - Episode 6: The Academy
Airs: October 15, 2010 at 8:00 PM CST/9:00 PM EST
Replays: October 16, 2010 at 8:30 AM CST/9:30 AM EST
Summary: Much to her displeasure, Ahsoka is given the duty of teaching a class at the academy on Mandalore.
Featured Characters: Almec (Prime Minister of Mandalore), Captain Rex, Satine Kryze, Anakin Skywalker, Ahsoka Tano
Featured Locations: Mandalore

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Satine again? They're killing me.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote  

You're not the only one. I tried to watch Corruption twice, and it still wasn't able to keep my attention. I really don't like these new Mandalorians and Satine. There just isn't anything to really distinguish them from any other group of humans. The old Mandalorians at least had personality.

Here's something to chew on...how much cooler would these Mandalorian episodes be if we had the old Mandalorians instead of these new ones? Imagine if Satine was a Mando instead of a pacifist senator. She could lay down the law and be a fairly action oriented character, or at least a more forceful and colorful leader. I don't see how they gained anything with remaking the Mandalorians. Especially with them ditching the Live Series they had planned. The only way there would be any pay off from this is if they play up some new angle on Boba Fett and how he's the last of the old tradition or something.

And now I get to use this

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I keep hoping there'll be some conflict between the old and new Mandalorians. If that doesn't happen, imo LFL will have missed the boat...again.

And I still prefer Satine over Siri. Very Happy Although I have to keep reminding myself that TCW is a show geared towards kids. And JA/JQ were young adult books. I'd really love to see Obi-Wan involved with someone written with an adult perspective in mind.

Taria Damsin does not count. God, what a Mary Sue.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I still don't get how she was a Mary Sue. I guess I'm a little fuzzy on the definition. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ahsoka as a school teacher...

This sounds like one of Jedi Joe's jokes.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Laughing

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
I still don't get how she was a Mary Sue. I guess I'm a little fuzzy on the definition. Neutral

*ahem* Mary Sue: a fictional character with overly idealized and hackneyed mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as a wish-fulfillment fantasy for the author or reader. Perhaps the single underlying feature of all characters described as "Mary Sues" is that they are too ostentatious for the audience's taste, or that the author seems to favor the character too highly. The author may seem to push how exceptional and wonderful the "Mary Sue" character is on his or her audience, sometimes leading the audience to dislike or even resent the character fairly quickly; such a character could be described as an "author's pet".......they dominate the spotlight or are too unrealistic or unlikely in other ways.

That help?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:

The author may seem to push how exceptional and wonderful the "Mary Sue" character is on his or her audience, sometimes leading the audience to dislike or even resent the character fairly quickly; such a character could be described as an "author's pet"

This is the very complaint fans have had with Karen Traviss for years.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Because she totally turned the Mandos into Gary Stus. And she made them a bunch of farmers. I ask you; is farmer the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear Mandos? Please.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Neither does pacifist Satine.

I'll take the Gary Stu farmers any day. Confused

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

They weren't quite Gary Stus, but yeah, Traviss was a little too in love with them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

S'ok, that's her right, is it not? I mean, hey. If you've got a fan base, half of which is roaring in approval, and half of which is roaring against you, what have you really got to lose? If you quit loving on the Mandos, you'll make your loyal fans unhappy. If you continue, you'll make the naysayers unhappy. So, they are her characters that she's seriously developed here, so...I say run with it! Besides, I was in love with them, too. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quote  

Up until her last book. At that point I have to agree with this part entirely: The author may seem to push how exceptional and wonderful the "Mary Sue" character is on his or her audience, sometimes leading the audience to dislike or even resent the character fairly quickly.

But back on subject, I am so glad we get to see Snips teach a class. She is so awesome and wickedly smart. A regular chosen one in her own right. She'll totally steal the show with her superior intelligence and life experience, making all the students excel far beyond what any of their teachers could have hoped to achieve.

Okay, that was just for you Jedi Joe Laughing

Seriously though, I wonder if Snips can make the Mandos less sissy. I mean, you do have to admit that Snips herself isn't a sissy, whether you like her or not. So she should theoretically be able to instill a little aggressiveness in these students. But wouldn't that be the bane of a lot of fans, Snips being the one to bring back the Mando in the Mandalorians. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Actually you're making Ashoka sound like a mary sue now. lol

Speaking of which, here's a good article/definition of Mary Sues from PPC Wiki that I put up on my RPG site.

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Beckoning_Darkness/index.php?showtopic=342

Also if you really want to have a good laugh, take The (Original) Mary Sue Litmus Test. If you don't laugh all the way through it, I'll be severely disappointed. Very Happy

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Beckoning_Darkness/index.php?showtopic=343

Btw, my first original character ever was a total Mary Sue. What can I say? All of us writers start off that way, and SW is such fertile ground for Mary Sue/godmodding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 1 of 2