Ryn vs Noghri

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryn vs Noghri
 PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote  

The Ryn and the Noghri were awesome species that at one point or another, played a cool part in the EU. Han Solo had a Ryn for a copilot for a few books in the NJO, Droma not only sported some cool mustachios, but he also had a tail and a flute for a nose. The Ryn were given to us as a gypsy race who wandered amongst the stars without a homeworld and looked down upon by all other species. They were mysterious, gifted, and very very interesting. Toward the end of the NJO they came together as a powerful information cell.

And then they disappeared.

Then there was the Noghri, the kick-butt bodyguards that protected Leia and could make even a Barabel seem tame. A Noghri was responsible for killing the infamous Grand Admiral Thrawn, marking the beginning of a new era, the one of Star Wars books. And yet the Noghri were swept under the rug after the NJO, conveniently killed by Darth Caedus. Cakhmaim and Meewalh would seem to be the last of their kind since we haven't heard of any Noghri since their deaths. Cakhmaim was Leia's bodyguard for an amazing 31 years, an amazing feat in itself. Meewalh served with Leia for 13 years. Both of them surviving the Yuuzhan Vong war and the Dark Nest crisis.

So I can't help but wonder, when will we see the Ryn and Noghri again?

And perhaps and even tougher question, if you had to choose just one, which would you rather see return?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I always found the Ryn semi-interesting, but bring back the Noghri if anything. They have been a staple for a lot longer and to be honest I found them more interesting. Even as Leia's bodyguards, they should've had more of a starring roll.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Noghri are like the ninjas of SW. End of discussion. Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yes, I'd rather see the Noghri return than the Ryn although I'm not holding my breath for either to be honest.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well I guess the Noghri - although more involved and not silent like Leia's bodyguards. If all they are gonna do is hide in the shadows and then whack people... wait thats pretty cool too.

Noghri it is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I always thought the Noghri were rather boring. Ok, they're bodyguards. And when they die, Leia gets... new Noghri bodyguards. I'd love to see a compelling Noghri character, for once.

For me, my vote is for the Ryn. I thought Droma was really cool, so I'm always game to see more. Or even just a return of Droma.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'll go with the Nohgri because they were awesome on Jedi Academy.// Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:31 am Reply with quote  

I'd like to see a Noghri and a Ryn picked up as main characters for new books. Personally, I think it would be nice to change the emphasis away from the big 3 and focus on new characters that don't push the Galactic scheme. The Noghri have a significant combat focus which would make a good Bounty Hunter character or a good sidekick/supporting character for a Ryn. But I really do think the Ryn need to come back, not so much because I like them more than the Noghri, but because they haven't gotten as much exposure. I'd like to see the Ryn brought up with this slave subplot in FOTJ. It would be a very nice bone to throw to the fans.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
I always thought the Noghri were rather boring. Ok, they're bodyguards. And when they die, Leia gets... new Noghri bodyguards. I'd love to see a compelling Noghri character, for once.

Maybe that's why I never was too fussy about them. No personalities.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:20 am Reply with quote  

Well I liked them. And at least Cakhmaim was with her through thick and thin, I mean he was the only one who didn't get killed and replaced. But it's the authors fault for not giving them more personality and treating them more like extra baggage than genuine characters. Too much focus was put on the main characters and not enough on developing new ones. Personally I'd kill Leia and replace her with a Noghri Cool

But I'm a Sith Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 1