Jedi Expedition: Part 2 - Pursuit
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Roleplaying View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Expedition: Part 2 - Pursuit
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The Hammer-head class cruiser Nykon Graves suddenly found himself in command of was called the Saber's Hilt. It was a ship that was designed to take Jedi out into the galaxy to spread a message of peace.

The ships commander, Rep Gordon was in bad shape. Brent Darklighter has said that Rep wasn't out of the woods yet, shocking that the Naval officer was correct and the Jedi healers were wrong.

With Rep out of commission, the remaining Jedi had elected Nykon take his place, a position that didn't sit well with Nykon one bit.

Nykon was a Jedi Weapons Master, and a Jedi Drifter, he'd spent the last few decades traveling the Galaxy solo. And now in a matter of a few weeks he found himself back into the fold, and whats more leading the expedition!

Fortunately Rep had some good Jedi Soldiers with him, Truger and Will in particular. Until Rep was healed enough to take charge again, it was up to Nykon and these other Jedi to see that Jayda was safely returned.

The Saber's Hilt was currently heading after Jayda's Shadow Breaker. The Sith who had been hidden away on Hoth had captured her and her shuttle, and had ran to the safety of Hyperspace. Presently the Jedi were following the coordinates for the Shadow Breaker which should in theory lead them to wherever this Sith had taken her.

The Jedi only wished they were not too late when they arrived in the Sullust system .

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote  

Will had barely managed to place down his equipment before collapsing on his bunk in exhaustion. Drifting off to sleep his mind wandered, recalling the comparatively easy days as a padawan. Then he was a Jedi Commando on Tatooine, laying prone on a sand dune he looked through electrobinolculars at what appeared to be a Sand People encampment. Shading the lenses with a hand to prevent the sun from reflecting off them he zoomed in on one of the Raiders. The Raider shifted, revealing the armor of a Sith Trooper underneath. Will smiled, it had taken the better part of three weeks but his small recon squad had finally tracked down the illusive band of Sith soldiers. So much for the hopes that these guys stopped recruiting years ago. Wonder where their recruits keep coming from... Tucking his electrobinoculars away he pulled up a map on his data pad marking the location. We got what the commander wanted, let's bug out before they notice we were here Will and his partner silently creeping away into the desert wastes to await pickup.

Will blinked, his quarters were completely dark. In the background he could hear the whine of the ship's engines. Will stretched and went to the fresher station. Carefully removing his armor he inspected it, except for a few minor scratches there was no damage, though there was a decent amount of blood now caked onto it. After scrubbing off the blood he hung it on the door to try before attempting to make repairs. In the meantime I might as well find out what's going on, but first I think I need some food. Yawning Will slipped into a simple light brown shirt and khaki trousers. Strapping on his combat boots and belt he made his way out of his quarters in search of food and information.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:45 am Reply with quote  

"And so I said 'Hands off the lady' and ignited my lightsaber just to emphasize the point. Well that caught their attention, and most of the guy's goons were smart enough to back away, but their leader had a reputation to keep, and running away from a Jedi wasn't going to be it. So he went for his blaster and I swept forward with my lightsaber. The fight pretty much ended at that point, but the nick name stuck, Hands Off Hollandro." Truger flashed a smile to the younger Jedi gathered around him. "Now, onto more serious business. Positive twenty-two."

Groan went around the table as the other Jedi laid down their loosing hands.

"I don't like this game, let's go back to Pazaak."

Truger looked over at Caslet and saw the agreement of the others. Reluctantly he relented. "Guess it's a little cutting edge still, but trust me, this game is going to catch on. Corellians know their stuff." He passed the deck over to Weber. "Your turn to shuffle."

"So what was it like on Hoth?" The youngest of the group asked.

Truger hesitated before giving his answer. "Bad. Very bad. I don't think anyone anticipated the danger we got ourselves into. It just goes to show that the Dark Side can cloud many things. The Sith we ran into...he could be very powerful. He would almost have to be in order to pull off that sort of thing. The Force didn't give us any warnings at all."

"And we're going after him?" Weber asked while dealing out the first card.

"No, we're going after Jayda. But in the end, it'll come down to taking out this Sith." He could see the worry in their faces. "It'll be different this time though. We'll be prepared."

The Jedi looked at Truger, and they saw the confidence he radiated. It was enough to wash away their worry, and it didn't hurt that they were safe and sound at the moment, able to enjoy a simple game of pazaak.

"Alright, let's make this game interesting..."

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote  

Everyone at the mess hall had been fairly quite, though Will had managed to find out that their destination was Sullust. Some of the younger Jedi had nervously joked that the Sith on Hoth must have been desperate to thaw out. After getting his fill from the mess hall Will had checked up on the Jedi in the med bay. Rep's condition was unknown, he along with many others were still listed as critical. Vera Sato was on the mend, which in light of how badly the Hoth mission had went was something. At least all the Padawans didn't die, maybe some of them will even make it to Knighthood The same couldn't be said for Master Nelvoa, Padawan Sato's master. Its amazing he's alive though, not only loosing an arm but also being half flayed alive when Bream's group found him. Skin grafts can only fix so much though, the real question is will his mind still be there when he comes to...

Still slightly shaken from the ferocity of the wampas on Hoth Will headed for the training room. No better way to get rid of remaining nervous energy than a good training exercise. I'll need to be in top form when we catch up to this Sith anyway.[i] Spending the first hour on the basic muscle warm-ups and strength building exercises Will tried to focus his mind on each breath and heartbeat, eliminating all other distractions. Ever since Hoth though it seemed more difficult to just focus and be at peace with the Force. No it wasn't just the mission as a whole, it was some part of the mission where everything had changed.

Shaking his head to clear the thoughts of Hoth Will did his last set of push-ups and went over to the equipment locker. He removed and strapped on two wrist weights and then removed a training remote. Setting the stun blasters to their highest power he then programmed in a set of drills of varying difficulty which the remote would select from randomly every few minutes. Unhooking his lightsabers he activated them and assumed a ready position. The remote began firing, most Will deflected but a few went whizzing by mere millimeters from his face as he dodged them. He grinned, remembering how shocked he was the first time his Master had set the remote on full power and unprepared he was for the numbness that followed when he missed a few blasts. He'd come to appreciate that training since undergoing the Republic Commando's live fire training regimen. The remote suddenly shifted to a new mode firing stun blasts as fast as possible as it whizzed around the room. [i]Just like old times
He thought as he dodged and deflected the successive volleys.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:05 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Nykon Graves was in Hell.

Scratch that, one Hell wasn't enough.

Nope Nykon was definitely roasting in all of Corellia's 9 Hells.

What kind of twisted individual volunteers for this Sithspit? Nykon thought as he shook his head in disgust. For the last three days the senior Masters on the Saber's Hilt plus Bream Darklighter and Truger Gallandro had been going round and round about Hoth. Or moreover the glaring failure of the mission. The finger pointing started on day one, Will stepped out of the conversation early. Nykon felt that was a wise idea, with Will's current mental state who knew what he might say or do after the inexplicable horrors faced in the caverns of Hoth.

Had Nykon not been with Rep Gordon and in the chain of "need to know" before things went bad down on Hoth's surface he was certain Trix Fey'lya, the Bothan Jedi Master who even now was demanding answers that were unknown to the landing party- would have demanded Nykon be removed from temporary Command of the mission.

Secretly Nykon hoped Trix would. He'd happily lay it all in the dark furred Bothans lap. Unfortunately he couldn't do that, he'd promised Rep he'd take over in his place and see that the Saber Hilt's mission wasn't a total wash.

Step one was tracking down Jayda's ship and the Mysterious Sith who abducted her. With the Hilt already in hyperspace moving faster then the speed of light towards Sullust. Now all the Jedi had to do was wait and hope they arrived before Jayda's ship jumped again. The free time had allowed the current grand inquisition to occur. Nykon looked at Truger who shook his head sadly.

If Trix didn't back off with his current line of questioning Nykon wasn't sure how things would go on the Hilt it was already beginning to feel like a division between the Jedi who came back from Hoth and the ones who stayed behind.

It didn't help that the stories of the horrors suffered on Hoth made the Jedi who remained aboard ship a little extra judgmental in their hindsight breakdown of events.

Nykon tried to focus on the Force as Trix continued grilling Bream and Truger about their actions or most notable lack of what Trix determined "Light actions." It was almost as if Trix had taken issue with half of the team in charge of the mission. Nykon would have to ask Truger exactly what had happened in Will's past that had made these Masters so harsh to judge the actions of his team.

It didn't help that none of the Jedi placing judgment hadn't set foot on Hoth, and thus hadn't felt the dark pull, the stain that seeped into your soul and weighed heavy on your bones.

Nykon didn't know what happened to Will and Hal down there, but he did know how Hoth had pulled at him and left a taint on his soul that even now he still fought off the dark cloud that would sit on his thoughts.

Once more he focused on the Light Side of the Force for peace, and tried to filter out Trix's nagging.

Boy that Bothan's starting to get on my kriffin' nerves He thought. Yeah Nykon had been away from other Jedi for far too long, he was much more at home when alone. Force only knows how long it'll be before I'm on my own again.... he thought in dismay.

Yep, Nykon Graves was in Hell alright.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote  

Truger patted Graves on the back, surprising the Jedi Master. He had to laugh at that. It wasn't easy to sneak up on a Jedi Master, unless of course they were deep in thought. "Don't let Trix get on ya, Nykon. That Bothan's been living around politicians too long for his own good. Course you never know when you might need a diplomat. The way I see it, that's why he's along for the ride on this mission." He flashed a smile before returning to a more somber expression. "Now onto more important things, how long until reach Sullust and what kind of strike team do we want?"

Unlike Hoth, this time they would be setting down on a civilized world against a known threat. The odds were certainly more in their favor this time around.

At least there won't be any more wampas. Truger shivered as he washed that though away.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote  

Will shutoff his sabers, his clothing soaked with sweat and some parts of his body numb from powerful stun blasts he had missed. But overall he was satisfied with himself. He'd managed to continuing fending off the remote's attacks even after a stun blaster had temporarily immobilized one of his arms. His mind was now acutely focused and ready for the fight that would inevitably come in a matter of hours. But who will the fight be against? The Sith or fellow Jedi? Master Trix has made it no secret that he dislikes the Grey Jedi on board and blames us for the failure...Certainly my past has been no help to Master Graves, Trix probably wants everyone who's ever talked to me locked in the brig...frakking Bothan politics

Will sighed, he'd hoped to find some peace and be able to leave the past behind. But it was clear that wasn't going to happen. Some people just won't be satisfied, the Council deemed I hadn't been corrupted and could remain in the Order...Why can't some people just accept that the past is the past and leave it at that? Just because some of my comrades were branded Dark Jedi and exiled doesn't mean I'm one With Trix's increasing pressure to throw Will in the brig until further notice it seemed inevitable that he'd have to undergo a review of his past service...whether that would take the form of a public trial or behind closed doors would be up to Master Graves. Trix should be done with his latest Bothan rant in a few hours, best get ready for the inevitable questioning by Master Graves...he can't stall that frakking Bothan forever. Will headed off to his quarters, cleaned up and went to the meditation chamber to await the inevitable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Nykon Graves and Truger Gallandro exited the Council's chamber room in a ruch.

"We need to discuss Will asap! I feel like I haven't the foggiest idea where Trix is coming from with all of this. If he keeps blind siding us like this we'll all be sidelined from the mission at hand. What happened that is still causing this mush strife?" And why in the 9 Hells am I being asked to Judge Will? Nykon asked Truger concerned.

"Well I think it's time you Will and I had a talk, cause if we don't get on the same page here fast Trix will have us all out of the way. And between you and me, he's no better suited leading this expedition then ol McFly. I think Rep Gordon had a feeling that if something happened to him there would be problems with leadership on board the Saber's Hilt he was wise to appoint you his replacement while he was still conscious." Truger stopped a moment and Nykon did too, the two Jedi's eyes met as Truger continued, "How is Rep anyway? He asked not bothering to mask his concern in either his voice of his Force presence.

"I'm not sure Truger.... Nykon squeezed his eyes shut and his fist balled tight, "There is no reason for his sudden relapse. It's almost as if he's been poisoned, but the healers can find no trace of any known poison. The failed mission to Hoth leaves far too many questions, on that point I happen to agree with Trix. But his paranoia has caused him to go on his current "Grey Jedi" hunt.

I tell ya Truger, it's Jedi like Trix that made me realize I wanted to be a Jedi Wanderer and have little to do with the Order."

Truger's eyes narrowed and he checked to make sure they were alone, "Careful Graves, it's just that kind of talk that Trix would pounce on. He's not to be trusted. "

"I'll keep that in mind." Graves said and the two continued on their way looking for Will.

-
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote  

The transport rocketed through the atmo, bouncing back and forth as it rapidly passed through pockets of turbulence on its descent to the surface. The roar of the engines seemed defining and Will wondered how it was that no one ever heard them coming within a thousand kilometer radius. Yet somehow the pilots always managed to land without anyone ever being the wiser. Guess that's why they're the pilots and I'm not Will looked at his blaster carbine and checked the power level. The Jedi Commandos were perhaps the only formal Jedi units to be issued blasters and instructed in marksmanship, sometimes they'd even used slugthrowers when the mission called for it. Of course there was a certain logic to it when you were always fighting outnumbered, especially these days when they weren't always going after saber using Sith. The Sith Assassins haven't been the powerful threat they once were, it's been at least a generation since they could make any strikes in force. Not that we've ever managed to wipe them out either

ONE MINUTE! The pilot bollard into the troop compartment, each Jedi holding up a single digit and passing the word down the line.

He adjusted the straps on his gear, checking that his carbine strap was slung securely across his body. Everyone was tense, waiting for the moment when they'd touch down on the planet surface. They were the Pathfinders, the first ones in. They would be holding the LZ and would have no air cover or support until the main strike force arrived.

THIRTY SECONDS!

Will and the rest of the Commandos stood, ready to leap off the transport. The transport doors swept open revealing a lush forest landscape.

Go! Go! Go! They were on the ground, blasters up scanning for any threats. Moving cautiously Will motioned for his squad to move out. The small group of Pathfinders moved into the forest heading to the LZ to set up the beacons that would guide the rest of the strike force in.

Will blinked and opened his eyes. The memory fading like his comrades had faded into the mist of the forest. He was back in the meditation chamber on the Saber's Hilt. He'd felt sudden urgency from Master Graves and Truger. Trying his best to remain calm Will focused on them to let them know where he was. No point in hiding from them, better they find me than Trix and his bunch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Will had stepped out of the Meditation Chamber as Graves and Truger came around the corridors curve.

"Just the man we were looking for." Nykon Graves said with a weary smile.

Truger gave Will one of his looks that said trouble before he said in a low voice, "We need to talk. Now."

Will knew where this was heading. "Trix stirring up the past? he asked.

"He just might." Truger said as they all went back into the Meditation Chamber for privacy. "He just finished grilling us pretty hard about the Hoth rescue. And he's insistent that having you on the mission was part of the problem from the start."

Graves nodded his head in agreement before speaking, "And I have no leg to stand on since I know nothing of your past Will, I can't even begin to defend you. Worse it makes defending the actions taken down on Hoth hard as well. Trix is as crafty as a politician, In fact the Jedi might be better off with Jedi like him serving the Senate. As it is I fear he is more concerned with "Grey Jedi" and defending the light from within, then looking at the true darkness that has made off with one of our own. Jayda should be our number one priority, not chasing shadows from the past."

Truger stepped up closer to Will and placed a reassuring hand on his friends shoulder, "Look good friend, I've kept your secret, but it's time Graves knew. He deserves that much for what he's done for us all already. And truthfully Master Graves is the only one of us with any kind of authority at the moment, if anyone stands a chance of forcing Trix to back down it's him. But first he'll need to know what Trix might use against us. You need to let him know."

Will lowered his head as though ashamed, "Alright," he said, his voice low as a whisper, better sit down, this could take a while..."

Nykon and Truger both settled themselves on the padded floor as Will took a form chair.

He closed his eyes for a moment collecting his thoughts before he spoke.

"It starts like this...."

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote  

...it was 16 months ago, back when I was still a Jedi Commando. Some pirate thugs got out of hand in the sector adjacent to the one my company was stationed in. They'd hit a convoy carrying the sector governor's family you see and they were going to use that to solidify their control over all convoy traffic in the region. If their demands weren't met, well lets just say these pirates had an established rep of brutality when they didn't get exactly what they wanted. D company were the closest special forces and we were sent out to rescue the family and put down the pirates. The sector law enforcement gave us all their intel on the pirates and their base location. We didn't have the luxury of time to do our own recon what with the sector governor's family on the line and the local sector forces intel seemed pretty good so it didn't seem to be an issue. It was just supposed to be another mission....

Will was leaning against a tree peering into the gloom of mist shrouded forest, his blaster carbine pointed towards the ground. Then the mist was broken by the black silhouettes of humanoids. Will kneeled and leveled his blaster carbine. "Kinrath!" Will called out the challenge word and waited...nothing. But the shadows had reacted and quickened their pace. "Hostiles! Open Fire" Will shouted as he opened fire. Two shadows dropped, hit by blaster fire. Others went prone or ducked behind trees and rocks to return fire. "Grenade out!" several voices called down the line. Moments later a series of explosions erupted among the shadows.

Will ducked back behind his tree, chunks of bark searing off as blaster bolts sought him out. Calmly pulling out the spent magazine from his blaster carbine he reached down to his belt to get a new one. "They're in the trees! Look up! they're in the the trees!" snapping his head up Will finished inserting the fresh magazine on instinct. Sure enough there were at least a dozen more shadows bounding from tree branch to tree branch. Will lifted his blaster carbine up and took aim. He fired a well aimed burst, but the figure held up a hand and reflected the blaster bolts. Two blaster bolts came searing back at Will, narrowly missing his head. Dropping his blaster he snatched his two saber hilts off his belt, their silver-blue and green blades flaring to life. "Sabers! Sabers!" Will shouted over the din as the shadow leaped off the tree branch straight at him.

Will jumped backwards to avoid the tip of the vibroblade as it was swung in a horizontal circle to clear a landing area. Glancing to his sides for a second he could see other shadows landing among the Jedi, some Jedi already had their sabers out and were ready, but many Jedi returning the fire of the shadows on the ground. 40 meters away Will saw a shadow land behind group 4 Jedi taking cover behind a large tree and rock and cut them down before they even knew there was a threat behind them. The figure before Will was dressed all in black, a tight fitting mask covering the humandoid's face. Pure unchecked hatred and rage enveloped the pirate, radiating off its body overwhelming and choking Will like the stench of a rotting corpse. Will focused the Light Side to create a barrier between him and the Dark Side of the pirate. Giving his lightsabers a twirl Will assumed a ready stance, right foot back, the short green blade held parallel to his left thigh, the longer silver-blue blade held at an diagonal across his body with its tip in front of his left shoulder. The pirate lost no time in attacking starting off with a brutal horizontal slash. Pulling his left hand up Will blocked it with his green blade, pivoting back on his right foot and slashing at the pirate head with his silver-blade. The pirate quickly ducked Will's slash, recovered and chopped straight down. Will side stepped to the left and smashed the pommel of his silver-blue bladed saber into the side of the pirate's head and half turned stabbing his green blade into the Dark Jedi's back.

The pirate collapsed to its knees, grabbing its chest. Will could hear wheezing gasps coming from the Dark Jedi and knew his saber had gone straight into a lung. Without hesitation Will decapitated the pirate, not wanting to see if the pirate had mastered Breath Control. Going back the tree Will picked up his blaster carbine and slung it across his back. He then headed towards a group of Jedi under attack from both blaster and sword wielding pirates.

...That's when things began to fall apart, I only found out what happened to our strike force after it was all over. Our Tech platoon, the Jedi who could pretty much slice or fly anything and best suited for infiltration if the pathfinders were deployed elsewhere, along with a Republic Commando squad were our main strike force. The frakking pirates were waiting for them, killed a bunch with remote mines and fell on them with vibroswords while they were still dazed. No doubt Trix sees some relation to the loss of Jedi lives on Hoth as having a precedent from this mission. He may consider the poor intel in both cases an example of recklessness among the Jedi Commandos. Will looked at Master Graves, angry at Trix I'd like to see Trix or any of his lackeys do any better. They'd probably just wet their robes in terror if they'd had to fight those Dark Jedi...or the dark wampas. Pausing he took a few deep breaths to calm his anger before continuing with the story.

Will took aim with his carbine and fired, hitting a pirate squarely in the face. The body of the pirate crumpled to the ground, a large smoking mess where the pirate's face had been. The pathfinders had repulsed the attack from the trees but not before a number of Jedi had been killed. But they had held their ground and now groups from the tech platoon were making their way back to the LZ. I hope Kara and Gavin are ok He thought as he peered over the log wall that the pathfinders had created, anchored at both ends by a large tree and boulder.

Grenade! Grenade!

A small orb landed a meter away from Will moments later. Using the Force Will grabbed it and threw it back. He saw it explode centimeters from the face of a pirate, a spray of blood and gore covering the nearby foliage.

Kinrath! a female voice called out from the direction of the pirate lines

Womp rat Will responded, taking aim at where the voice had come from. Slowly figures moved out of the mist, their backs to the line of Jedi so they could watch the area they were coming from. As the approaching figures got closer Will felt his heart leap into his throat. The figure, a woman, leading the small group, he recognized that posture and deliberate, determined, yet graceful movement anywhere.

Hostiles! Open fire! The woman shouted urgently to the small group as scores of blaster bolts suddenly lashed out. One Jedi dropped, killed instantly by half a dozen bolts. Two Republic Commandos fell, screaming in pain clutching at badly seared flesh. Their cries were quickly put to an end when a Dark Jedi stepped over them and used the Force to rip out their throats.

Covering fire! Will roared, his section of the line erupting with an assortment of blasters. A few meters away Will heard the slow steady sound of the light repeating blaster and saw one of its powerful bolts seemingly vaporize large chunks off pirates. The retreating group were now engaging the Dark Jedi in melee combat, but it was clear from the conservative fighting style of the Dark Jedi that their intention was to create openings for the blaster wielding pirates to cut the Jedi down before they ever reached safety. You four with me! Sabers out! Will ordered, slinging his blaster carbine across his back and drawing his sabers. Snap Hiss. Charge! Will lept out from behind his cover and charged. Behind him he heard a grunt and a saber deactivate. But it didn't matter he had closed the distance and joined the frantic melee. The added sabers of his small party forced the now outnumbered Dark Jedi back. Run! The woman shouted. Fall back! Will called. The Jedi turned and ran using the Force to enhance their speed, blaster bolts kicking up dirt at their feet.

He jumped over the log wall, landing heavily on the ground. Thrilled to have survived he laughed. The Jedi manning the light repeating blaster smiled down at him They're falling back! Will they're falling back! Will smiled back. A hand touched his shoulder. Turning he saw the woman, Kara, who had led the retreating Jedi. Thanks for the assist Will embraced her, holding her tightly for a few seconds. Will grinned You didn't think I'd leave you to die out there did you? Resting against the log wall Will and Kara could hear in the distance all hell was breaking loose somewhere else on the LZ perimeter but for now it seemed they had been granted a brief moment of peace.

...We weren't the only couple in D Company, fact is Master K'Skarr our company CO was married, though we all tried to keep that knowledge from leaking out. After our mission I was nearly exiled on the grounds of attachment alone, but Master K'Sharr proved a bigger target and a better example to be made of. The people like Trix parraded him for how his marriage had led him to turn to the Dark Side when his wife, Master Nahshi, was nearly killed in the battle. Of course in their excitement they forgot to make me formally renounce attachment as a path to the Dark Side and I suspect Trix is keenly aware of that. Will looked at Truger and Master Graves. Truger of course wasn't terribly surprised by any of this, he'd heard most of it before. Master Graves was difficult to get a read on, he was listening intently but he was being careful not to reveal what he thought of Will's story. Will would have preferred not to dig up this past, but he knew he had to or else Trix would see to it that Will was exiled on the next remote planet they came across or worse. Of course Will wasn't sure if Master Graves would decide Trix was right.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Jayda sat for a moment, rigid, staring out the cockpit viewport. But remembering why she was cooperating in the first place, she forced herself to turn and face the Sith. There was as of yet no sign that her Jedi allies were in pursuit. For now, she needed to continue playing this Dark Man's little game.

Composing herself, Jayda tried to remember anything she'd ever heard about Sullust. "The planet joined the Repulic some 1,500 years ago. It was attacked by the Sith not so long ago, but was successfully protected by the Republic. There're various environmental issues on the surface that make habitation there difficult, if not impossible. The population is, as a result, forced to live underground."

The Sith came very near to raising an eyebrow, but quickly let his glowering mask slip back into place, displaying no emotion other than brooding anger. Apparently he wasn't fond of any other type of facial expression. "Environmental...issues?"

Jayda waited expectantly. She knew he was waiting for further explanation on the topic, but he would have to ask for it specifically.

Sensing her defiance and in no mood for further argument at this point, the Sith spoke again, "What do you mean, environmental issues?"

Jayda waved a hand toward the viewport. "Volcanoes, electrical storms, that sort of thing."

The Sith brooded silently for a moment, contemplating. Then his gaze snapped back into focus, his eyes piercing her yet again. "What else?"

She gave an almost imperceptible shrug of her shoulders. "There isn't much else to say." Jayda feigned perturbed disinterest, turning back to the controls. But she watched the Dark Man's reaction very closely. He turned to stare out the viewport, lost in thought. She knew better than to try anything at this point. He could snap back to the present in an instant. But it puzzled her that he was so interested in this planet. Other than the fairly recent war here between the Sith and the Republic, nothing had ever happened on Sullust. As far as she knew, it should hold no interest whatsoever for either Jedi or Sith. But then...she would have said the same about Hoth. Jayda closed her eyes at the thought. Silently, she pleaded. Not another Hoth. But she knew it was in vain. She, the Jedi, was already here. The Dark Man, this Sith, was here along with her. All they needed now were some Dark Wampas. And silly as that seemed on a volcanically active planet, Jayda knew they'd be seeing some, in one form or another.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote  

The room was silent except for the distant hum of the ship's engines. Truger stat shifting his gaze periodically from Will to Master Graves and then back again. Will sighed, he'd hoped Master Graves would be satisfied with what he'd already been told and spare Will from telling the rest but Will could see Master Graves was going to sit there as long as it took to get the whole story from Will. Alright, alright. If Trix wants the whole past unearthed fine...

No one said it but everyone knew these were not just pirates, many of their number were Dark Jedi and almost all of them seemed Force Sensitive. The Jedi had held all morning and afternoon, repelling repeated attacks. The survivors of the strike team had filtered back in twos, threes or as rag tag squads throughout those chaos filled hours. None of the 8 Republic Commandos had survived past noon, though they hadn’t gone down without a fight. Now it was dusk. Will’s face was covered in blood and grime and he was quietly doubtful that nightfall would bring any respite. In the distance he heard dull thumps.

Incoming! Take cover! Jedi scrambled for the nearest foxholes that had been added to the defenses during the lulls in battle. Will huddled close to Kara in their foxhole, dirt spraying down onto them whenever a mortar round landed nearby. Since early afternoon the pirates had switched from constant direct attacks to using mortars to keep the Jedi pinned down. The first targets had been the transports, all three had their engines knocked out in the first barrage. The pirates never stayed in a firing position for more than a few minutes before relocating. Occasionally the pirates went into the trees to fire anti-tank rockets directly into the Jedi positions. Normally the Jedi designated marksmen killed the pirates before the rockets were fired, but they didn’t always manage to get them.

As the mortar shelling slowly lifted the cries of wounded and calls for medics began echoing from further down the line. Among the medics scrambling to respond to calls for help and Jedi leaving foxholes to retrieve fresh magazines from the charging stations set up further back Will saw a Jedi running, a look of urgency on his face. "Wheres Knight Kelvar?” The Jedi shouted. Standing cautiously Will beckoned him over. Knight Kelvar! Master K’Sharr needs reinforcements on the north perimeter! They’ve broken the line!"

Here they come again! the Jedi manning the light repeating blaster called out as he opened fire.

Will turned to Kara "Hold the line here. I'll take my squad to reinforce Master K’Sharr."

Kara nodded "Be careful Will, these pirates...they aren’t human." She turned back to the line, aimed her carbine and fired.

Will grinned "What and let you have all the fun after this?" He lightly stated, then noticing the genuine look of concern on her face he placed his hand reassuringly on her back "Don't worry I will, take care of yourself too." Will stood back up, looking into her eyes. She smiled, her eyes sparkling in the twilight. Her face was streaked with dirt and her hair was unkempt yet no one he had ever met before looked as beautiful to Will as she did right now. "Finder Four on me!" Will bellowed. The five surviving Jedi of Pathfinder squad four fell in and Will led them away to join the fight at the north perimeter. Behind him the blasterfire continued and Will could hear Kara shouting orders to the Jedi still manning the position.

Will's squad found the north perimeter had been pushed inwards, forming a crude semi-circle with its peak almost reaching the landing gear of the gunship that had been stationed at the north perimeter. The three gunships had been deployed to add extra firepower at three of the four perimeters. Near the gunship was the aid station, but the medics had expected to primarily be treating wounded pirates, not Jedi. Protecting the aid station was Master K’Sharr who had formed two squads of Jedi into two ranks. The front rank created a nearly impenetrable shield with their sabers, the second one fired their blasters over the shoulders of the first rank. Will admired the precise coordination between the two ranks, the Jedi with blasters firing perfectly timed and aimed bursts during the split seconds when a saber blade did not block the line of fire. But that was the only area where the Jedi were successfully holding the Sith at bay, everywhere else had broken up into a frantic melee fight as the Jedi fought desperately for their lives. He could see pirates carrying wounded Jedi into the forest, closer by pirates rooted among the dead for loot, they sensed victory was near at hand if Master K’Sharr’s group could just be killed.

25 meters away a Medic was gagging on the ground, eyes bulging as she grasped at her throat, blood oozing between her fingers. Grinning malevolently the pirate turned to the wounded Jedi who the Medic had been attending. With surgical precision the Dark Jedi slashed open the Jedi, bent down and inserted a small object. Backing away the Dark Jedi smiled sadistically and watched as the incendiary grenade exploded. Flames lept up through the cut in the Jedi’s body, the Jedi shrieking in pain as he was burned alive from the inside out.

"Take that frakker out!" Will's sabers flared to life, rage welling up inside him. "Saul nail him once he's distracted" Saul, the squad’s Designated Marksman, nodded and broke off. "Charge the frakker head on, use flash-bangs!" Will unhooked a flash-bang from his belt and charged. They were now within 20 meters "Grenade out!" Will and the other Jedi in the squad shouted, hoping to trick the Dark Jedi into thinking the explosives were of a lethal nature. Blaster fire was searing past them as other pirates became aware of their presence, perhaps also protect this Dark Jedi who was apparently an officer. Most of the blaster fire missed, but a few bolts struck home, vaporizing the head of one of Will's squadmates, wounding a second in the belly. The Dark Jedi spun around, located the grenades and batted them away with the Force. But the Jedi were on top of the Dark Jedi now and the only thing that kept the Dark Jedi from being cut down was his choice of a vibroblade instead of a lightsaber. Will regretted that because the Dark Jedi would never have been able to activate a lightsaber in time. Despite being attacked by three Jedi at once they were unable to land a killing blow.

The Dark Jedi spun and dodged, vibroblade glinting in the light from the lightsabers. The Dark Jedi caught the saber blade of one of the Jedi, twisted his wrist to break the lock and with a few quick flicks had slashed the belly of the Jedi open. With sudden intensity the Dark Jedi unleashed a new flurry of attacks, driving Will and his squadmate Blaine back. Through careful manipulation of the combat the Dark Jedi had driven the two apart. Unleashing an unusually powerful Force Push the Dark Jedi sent Blaine flying into a tree where he collapsed unconscious.

The Dark Jedi then swiftly kicked Will in the chest, knocking him to the ground. Desperately parrying the vicious strikes from the vibroblade Will tried to regain his footing. But the ground was slick with blood and he couldn’t find secure footing. Will tried to block yet another savage slash but the Dark Jedi had somehow become very powerful in a matter of seconds, easily knocking Will's green short saber out of his hands. A fancy parry twirled Will's silver-blue long saber out of his grip and the Dark Jedi grabbed the saber hilt. Looking at the short saber hilt lying on the ground the Dark Jedi crushed it with the Force. When I’m done with you, Jedi, you’ll wish you were at the mercy of a sarlaac instead of me. The voice rasped tauntingly. Suddenly Blaine dropped out of Force Cloak behind the Dark Jedi and stabbed his combat knife into the nerves in the Dark Jedi's lower back. Almost instantly a blaster bolt vaporized the top half of the Dark Jedi's head.

...I'd never seen such cruelty on the battlefield before. I'd hoped never to see it again, I'd liked to think that all the lives that were lost had ensured it wouldn't be seen again...but Hoth showed I was wrong. Trix is a fool if he thinks that we've left those manifestations of the Dark Side behind to freeze for eternity on Hoth. Master Graves if Trix gets his way you condemn Jayda to death and then one by one the rest of us will join her. He's a greater danger to our survival than I or any other Grey Jedi ever could be...

Knight Kelvar and Finder 4 squad reporting Master K’Sharr

Master K’Sharr nodded and turned back to the gunship Where are my frakking reinforcements?!

I’m sorry sir, they’re jamming comms, I can’t break through

I don’t give a frakk if you have to stand on the top of this ship flashing a glowrod, get that message out or by the Force... Master K’Sharr turned away in disgust.

Kelvar, deploy your squad to the left of the gunship. You hold that position at all costs, use your bare hands if you have to but do not surrender the position.

Sir. Will said deadpan. Motioning his squad to follow they began digging fresh foxholes at their new position and prepared for the long night ahead...

Will paused, the memories crystal clear, the smell of the moist ground mixed with blood, each snap of a twig threatening another attack. He blinked slowly and resumed the tale

...The screams had been echoing from the woods since night fell. No one could see anything but they all felt in the Force the terrible pain being inflicted on the Jedi who had been captured during the day. Yet despite the passage of seconds into minutes, minutes into hours no one had become one with the Force, they just continued to linger on, each scream a beg for death to bring an end to their pain. The Dark Jedi knew things about torture that Will didn’t even dare imagine and the Dark Side washed through the forest like a horrible flood keeping the Jedi prisoners alive.

Will could feel the resolve of some of the Jedi breaking as the screams continued to echo in the night. He wasn’t sure he wasn’t starting to crack too, for the past hour he’d jumped at every shadow absolutely convinced that there was someone there. Yet the Force told him there was nothing there every time. Suddenly he heard gagging coming from the foxhole 10 meters away. Blaine I’m going to take a look what’s going on over there. Will whispered to his squad mate. Carefully crawling out of their shared foxhole Will creeped centimeter by centimeter to the adjacent foxhole.

What’s going... Will started to whisper and then he saw it...fiery yellow eyes glaring up at him and in the dim light he could see blood smeared across a wild looking face.

We’re under attack! Will shouted, desperately grabbing his lightsaber off his belt. The Dark Jedi growled and lunged with a vibroblade. Will, still prone, rolled out of the way and into a crouch, his left hand on the ground to support his weight, right arm extended to his side saberhilt in hand. Snap! Hiss! The silver-blue blade came to life, illuminating not one but numerous Dark Jedi creeping into the Jedi lines. Sabers ignited all along the line as Jedi desperately tried to fend off the Dark Jedi trying to kill them in their foxholes. In the foxhole Will had heard the gagging come from he could see the bodies of the two Jedi, one with a deep cut into their throat, the other’s throat looked odd, almost as if it had been crushed from the inside.

Shouting a battle cry Will charged the nearest Dark Jedi. Will fought for all he was worth, all the energy built up from the past few terror filled hours finally being released. He cut the Dark Jedi down quickly with ferocious attacks, snatched the vibroblade out of the dead Dark Jedi’s hand and began attacking the next nearest Dark Jedi.

...I suppose I tapped into the Dark Side that night. At least that's what I was told. But they didn't understand then and Trix doesn't understand now that there's a difference between the Jedi ideals applied in the safety of the Temple and their application in the field against the darkness in that forest Will looked right at Master Graves I saw what you did on Hoth, I saw you use the Force to rip out a dark wampa's heart. How is what I did any different?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Nykon Graves was at a loss for words. He knew things with the Order were bad, but when Will's story unfolded it was clear that Jedi like Trix would never get it, and worse, they would continue to hamper the Jedi who did.

"Let's be clear Will. I can't say whether your actions were right or wrong. I can tell you that it is always easier for a council to sit back and break down your actions in hindsight, then it is for them to act themselves. Jedi have always fought with the idea of Light and Dark, the notion of a Grey area is appealing to some, and offensive to others. But the Force is our ally, this I know. If it takes you down paths that are too dark for other Jedi, well, then perhaps it wasn't the path meant for them... But on Hoth, if you felt what I felt, the pull.... well then you know that it's not always easy denying the call of Darkness. I did what had to be done, just as I am sure you did Will. What we must be careful of now is continuing down that path. Now more then ever we must focus on the Light."
Nykon stood up and paced back and forth before rubbing a hand through his beard.
"I'm at a loss for how to deal with Trix. He's like a Rancor that has a prey scent with this, he just won't back off. You know him better then I, Truger, what do you think I should do in this situation? Will, what do you think he'd try next? I mean at a time when we should all be planning together I'm beginning to think we may have to find a more direct means of isolating our problem....

Truger looked keenly at Nykon, "You're not thinking we....?"
Nykon tipped his head to the left, "He's not leaving us much choice is he?"

Will saw were they were going with this, mutiny, well of sorts, "The High Council won't be happy, but by the time they learn of this we'll have found Jayda and mounted a rescue."

Nykon lowered his voice conspiratorially, "Alright, Truger who all can we trust with this? If we are really going to throw Trix and his supporters in the brig, which could be considered treason if we are not careful, we must be decisive. We can't afford to start a civil war amongst the Jedi on board. We must act fast or our chance of catching up to Jayda will slip through our fingers."

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote  

Will closed his eyes, focusing his mind on Trix and the immediate threat. A mutiny? We force Trix to play his hand, which is better than letting him choose the time and place.

If I were Trix I would be working to secure the support of the crew chiefs of the key ship systems. That'll be his insurance in case things go against him. He's also not stupid, he knows he's not a warrior and we should assume that before he started causing trouble he first secured the support of Jedi who are warriors. So he'll have the power to hold the key ship systems through force if it comes to it. Will calmly observed.

No matter how Will looked at it things didn't look good. Would they even have the time to stop Trix before reaching their destination? What happened if Trix seized control of the engine room and shut everything down? A plan started to materialize in Will's mind How fast are our transports? Master Graves looked at Will quizzically.

Trix has a plan B, so we need one too. We can't risk Jayda's life on a single throw of the chance cube, count on the mutiny going perfectly. Give me a transport and a pilot, either a droid or another Grey that Trix has his sights on. Let Trix think he's won by getting me off this ship. Sell it to him that you agree with his view but that you want the most dangerous Greys off the ship before hunting down the weaker ones. Bothan's know politics but they can also be arrogant. If he thinks he's won he'll loosen his grip and give you your chance. If the mutiny goes bad I'll be in position to keep Jayda alive long enough for you to figure something else out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Roleplaying

Page 1 of 6