The Old Jedi Order: Love It or Hate It
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
even though his marriage didn't turn out very well.

Loled. Yeah, they usually don't turn out to well when you choke your pregnant wife.

Seriously though, Wookie does say that most of the Jedi voluntarily chose celibacy although I can't verify that statement canon-wise with anything I've read. But given the nature of the order, it's a logical assumption.

And agreed, Life's first post was hilarious. Now that's some dialogue I'd like to see. Or hear.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Darth Skuldren wrote:

As for the Jedi Code and the possibility of Bane corrupting it, Odan-Urr is the Jedi who was responsible for rewriting it. Thus he predated Darth Bane. However, Odan-Urr was a Draethos and a Jedi Librarian, thus a scholar and a member of an alien species who might have a different outlook on life and a different interpretation of words and phrases. He also had a heavy hand in fighting the Dark Side, Dark Jedi, and the Sith, which might have helped shape his outlook on things, making them more black and white, as well as defensive. By altering the code, he might have intended to help prevent padawans from falling to the dark side, but by tightening that mantra, he just made the inevitable rupture worse.

Also, I have to say I found your first post up there Life hilarious Laughing

Ah. I was basing my assumption on someone's post from earlier, stating that Yoda's installations of new rules, or maybe the new rules being instated under Yoda's eyes, was a help in making the Order grow stale and lifeless. It occured to me that the Sith were working to undermine the Order from within, much like Bane in the Karpyshyn trilogy attempted to with the republic, like drawing their attention to some sort of emergency, allowing the Sith to continue going unnoticed for one example.

And thanks, Skul, Cerri! I seem to have missed my calling...
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The new rules were before Yoda's time. They were part of the Post-Ruusan reformation, and it was actually the senate and the Supreme Chancellor who initiated the reformation. It was an attempt to bring more balance about in the Republic. They feared the power of the Jedi was disproportionate. That's also when the marriage prohibition became encoded. Up until then marriage had been increasingly discouraged but not forbidden.

What I see here is the Jedi Order partly being politically expedient. Imho marriage (and attachment) should never have been forbidden. It slowly unbalanced the Jedi and eventually made them ripe for their downfall at the hands of the Sith. And it's not like they actually got rid of the danger of attachment. They just drove it underground.

I think Luke's NJO is much better balanced.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote  

I've never given much thought to the Post-Ruusan reformation until now. I might have to read up on what I can find about that. Sounds like a rather significant event.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 2 of 2