Opinions on FOTJ series so far (spoiler free)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you like FOTJ so far?
Great!
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Pretty Good
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Decent
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Bad
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Which would also have made Anakin the one who's head went on the metaphorical character chopping block and he might've become Caedus, so ya...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:44 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Rouge77 wrote:
kurtdc wrote:
The version of the story I heard was Anakin was killed of(instead of Jacen) because GL didn't want confusion with the Anakin of the prequels. Maybe I misremember, but that's how I recall it. I could swear I read something where the authors said Jacen was originally supposed to go.

GL didn't decide who would die, he just said that Anakin couldn't be the big hero. The original plan was this:

In Vector Prime, Luke - who would have had several children with Mara by then - dies and Jacen becomes the leader of the Jedi. Apparently Chewbacca survives. In Star by Star Jacen dies and Anakin becomes the central character.

in the back of The Unifying Force Shelly Shapiro states of GLs role:

I would characterize his role as limited but important. He's the one who said the alien invaders could not be dark side Force-users, that we couldn't kill Luke, that we had to kill Anakin instead of Jacen (we had originally planed it the other way around.) Other then that he occasionally answered some basic questions for us, but that was rare.

Note: that we had to kill Anakin instead of Jacen (we had originally planed it the other way around.)

And this was due to his feeling that people would confuse Anakin Skywalker with Anakin Solo. (I find it funny - is this a sign he feared the EU might have more people knowing Anakin Solo... Kill the threat! You will like GL's Anakin more! Laughing)

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Rouge77 wrote:
kurtdc wrote:
The version of the story I heard was Anakin was killed of(instead of Jacen) because GL didn't want confusion with the Anakin of the prequels. Maybe I misremember, but that's how I recall it. I could swear I read something where the authors said Jacen was originally supposed to go.

GL didn't decide who would die, he just said that Anakin couldn't be the big hero. The original plan was this:

In Vector Prime, Luke - who would have had several children with Mara by then - dies and Jacen becomes the leader of the Jedi. Apparently Chewbacca survives. In Star by Star Jacen dies and Anakin becomes the central character.

in the back of The Unifying Force Shelly Shapiro states of GLs role:

I would characterize his role as limited but important. He's the one who said the alien invaders could not be dark side Force-users, that we couldn't kill Luke, that we had to kill Anakin instead of Jacen (we had originally planed it the other way around.) Other then that he occasionally answered some basic questions for us, but that was rare.

Note: that we had to kill Anakin instead of Jacen (we had originally planed it the other way around.)

And this was due to his feeling that people would confuse Anakin Skywalker with Anakin Solo. (I find it funny - is this a sign he feared the EU might have more people knowing Anakin Solo... Kill the threat! You will like GL's Anakin more! Laughing)

Thanks IR, that's what I was remembering. Don't know what that has to do with luke having several children and being killed off in VP.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wow, that's even harsher than the real NJO. Shocked

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think the Luke having several children and dying in VP was actually part of the Dark Horse invasion story that was planned and that Del Rey stole (hence the years of bad blood). Lucas actually told them they couldn't kill Luke. I think he kind of wants him to never die...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
I think the Luke having several children and dying in VP was actually part of the Dark Horse invasion story that was planned and that Del Rey stole (hence the years of bad blood). Lucas actually told them they couldn't kill Luke. I think he kind of wants him to never die...

DR and Lucas exchanged a list of characters and the Big Three were those that GL ordered could not be killed. Thus Luke lived. GL didn't order them to kill Anakin, DR was set to kill one Solo boy and Anakin couldn't be the hero according to GL, so DR killed him.

Luke was planned to have children with Mara by VP, but the final nail on the coffin of the little-Skywalkers-never-to-be was Salvatore, who said that he didn't want to write about little kids, so off they went into the limbo and eventually (and sadly) we got the replacement in Ben.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Darth Skuldren wrote:
This series has humanized Tahiri to the point that I like her as a character now, so as long as they don't kill her off, that's a pretty good pay off. I'd certainly enjoy reading other books with her as one of the main characters now.

I'm still on the fence with Ben though. He's bearable, but I certainly wouldn't choose him for future stories, even though that's an impossibility. Of course, I didn't really like Luke until he hooked up with Mara because I thought Mara brought out a little bit more of Luke's bad side, so maybe Vestara can do the same for Ben. I just can't get behind a goody goody character. Laughing

Yes, Tahiri, for me, has always been a character in limbo. In this series, I like that she's coming to terms with everything, moving on with her life (and am loving her being a no nonsense bounty hunter). If they killed her off, or worse, made her a Jedi or Sith, it would be a waste of character potential.

And I like Ben. Especially how Allston writes his rapport with Luke. Reminds me of my dad and I. Like a few days ago, we went up town and, passing a kid's toy shop, I asked him if he wanted to go in and get a toy - I meant for my wee niece, but didn't say that- and he said, 'nah, I've got enough toys already.' And when he warned my niece, when walking through a small tunnel, of the strong headwind, I pretended that I was walking into a full gale and eventually pretended to be blown over backwards. That sort of thing, with Ben being a smart-alec, makes me warm to him.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Mara Jade Skywalker"quote="Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
She had such potential to be a really great character and they didn't take advantage of it.

Ha! They ruined the potential of nearly every character in that generation. Anakin, Jaina, Jacen, Tahiri, Raynar, Lowbacca, Tenel Ka, etc. [/quote]

Didn't Lucas decree that there are to be no more Wookie Jedi, and that's why we haven't seen him since DN? But we've got Raynar back, at least.

Sorry, I'm still catching up!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Lucas did say no more Wookie Jedi, but I don't think that's why we haven't seen much of Lowie. It seems like there was this vendetta against the YJK characters; either they disappeared, were killed off or left the Jedi Order. The authors finally seemed to have remembered there isn't going to be much of a Jedi Order left if they keep this up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote  

Time for a Wookiee Sith. "Hey George, you forgot to mention that one." Laughing

And I'm betting Lowbacca gets page time in the next FOTJ book. It's almost a guarantee. He's the only YJK living who hasn't gotten his page time yet, other than Tenel Ka who is also guaranteed to get some page time, but I can't remember if the rumors were indicating she shows up in Ascension or Conviction.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Lucas did say no more Wookie Jedi, but I don't think that's why we haven't seen much of Lowie. It seems like there was this vendetta against the YJK characters; either they disappeared, were killed off or left the Jedi Order. The authors finally seemed to have remembered there isn't going to be much of a Jedi Order left if they keep this up.

Seriously? Why?

An why the heck didn't Lucas care about the EU until now?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You'd have to ask Lucas, and that came down a long time ago, back in the Bantam days. It's a misconception that Lucas is just now turning his attention to the EU.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hmm. Okay. *shrugs*

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:

And this was due to his feeling that people would confuse Anakin Skywalker with Anakin Solo.

Okay just to clarify things here, the source of that idea is James Luceno and here's the exact quote from the interview.

"Several times at Skywalker Ranch, George was sitting almost within arm's reach, but I never got to speak with him. But he played a major role in giving shape to the NJO by commenting extensively on the early version of the five-year story arc, as Lucy and Shelly have said. His objection to Anakin Solo being the main series protagonist was, I think, possibly confusion with Anakin Skywalker in the prequel trilogy of movies."

This is Luceno's assumption but somehow this has been taken as gospel by the fans.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Yeah, I remember reading that and I kind of doubt whether Lucas vetoed Anakin Solo taking the figurative Jedi baton from Luke because of possible confusion with Anakin Skywalker. There must of been more to it than that and I want to know the whole story.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 5