What is the worst EU novel?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

May he rest in peace, and may the writers resist forever the urge to clone him (since he did die in a cloning facility with blood everywhere).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

As for me the worst books are Approaching storm and Splinter of the Mind’s Eye. They are too bored
"Down here, in the never-ending electric twilight, time had a different meaning altogether. It wasn't something to he scheduled, something to be quantified in terms of seconds, minutes, or hours. It was measured much more simply: you either had enough, or not enough," - Coruscant Nights I: Jedi Twilight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Caedus_16 wrote:
May he rest in peace, and may the writers resist forever the urge to clone him (since he did die in a cloning facility with blood everywhere).

Didn't the facility blow up or something? No, it couldn't have but I think we would have seen a Anakin clone by the end of that series if the Yuuzhan Vong did clone him. Also, they already tried to control one Force user and it went very poorly.

Does anyone have the NJO interview from Unifying Force that mentions the detail of wanting to kill Jacen and then switching to Anakin. Whenever someone says something that doesn't go over well, he or she denies it but that doesn't mean the words were never said. (just my thought, and even if Lucas did say kill him, it's been several years and nothing so I'm over it...although I'm not all that happy for the prequels or the upcoming Clone Wars or live action show because of Lucas's involvement.)

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Lucas has been disappointing me in his EU decisions. I'm fairly annoyed with the fact that he controls the EU even though he doesn't really read it. And he never said kill Anakin. I checked all the Unifying Force extras and they stated that he never said to kill him, but only to switch the focus from Anakin to Jacen because of the movies. He thought that Star Wars fans couldn't handle two Anakin storylines and that it would be confusing even though the stories were nothing alike.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Caedus_16 wrote:
Lucas has been disappointing me in his EU decisions. I'm fairly annoyed with the fact that he controls the EU even though he doesn't really read it. And he never said kill Anakin. I checked all the Unifying Force extras and they stated that he never said to kill him, but only to switch the focus from Anakin to Jacen because of the movies. He thought that Star Wars fans couldn't handle two Anakin storylines and that it would be confusing even though the stories were nothing alike.

That sounds plausible. However, he knew they wanted to kill Jacen so he may have said kill Anakin instead when he stressed switching the focus from Anakin to Jacen and that's why everyone says Lucas said killed Anakin Smile Just a theory, but it makes sense to me. And I agree with what you say about Lucas and the EU; I do believe that sometimes your story becomes so big you can't control it anymore and should let it go it's course.

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Caedus_16 wrote:
I'm probably gonna get crucified for saying this but...Star By Star. It wasn't so much a bad book as it was an abortion. It was intelligent, fast paced, and a huge build for Anakin Solo (personal favorite EU character). Then they killed him. After that it was just a mess. It was rushed, choppy, and confusing. Even the battle at Coruscant was poorly done. I like Denning, but the decision to kill Solo (which wasn't ordered by Lucas like everyone thinks, but rather a poor interpretation of what he wanted and a poor decision by the writiers and publicists) was one that shouldn't have been made, and I'll give him this. He did it well. He took a great character and gave him supernatural power in death. He felt the Vong in the Force. I was impressed, but after that the book was terrible.

Na, we won't crucify you Caedus. I wasn't too fond of Star by Star either. Then again, I'm not a fan of Troy Denning in general.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
-The Code of the Sith

In mourning . . . Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I feel bad for Denning. He wrote Star by Star and was the author selected to kill Anakin Solo. That didn't exactly put him in a good place, and people were actually blaming him personally for it. And then he was commissioned to write that horrid DN trilogy. I think he can make you feel good about reading crap. And I think that if anyone can finish this LOTF series off right, he can.

SBS
 PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Star By Star is my favorite SW book of all time. I don't see how people can hate it- except for it they are Anakin fans.

However, though I cannot pinpoint my least favorite, I know that one of them is definately Exile. I felt that it was too rushed and nothing was expanded like it should have been.

"Who?" Jacen asked.

"Palpatine!"

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:41 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Hey, I liked Star by Star quite a lot. I mean, OK, it combines Coruscant, my favourite planet by miles, and huge space battles, one of my favourite SW elements, so basically how could I not? lol Very Happy
I think SOMEONE important had to die to provide surprise and give new impetus to the series. Lucas switched the focus away from Anakin, so I guess I'm OK with his death. I mean, after all, Greg Keyes did a fantastic job in the Edge of Victory duology to make sure Anakin really did commit acts of heroism and left a lasting contribution to the war effort just before Star by Star.
As for my least favourite SW book, I gotta say I couldn't ever consider any SW book 'terrible' or 'bad', the sheer fact that it's part of the greatest story ever told redeems it in itself. But I would have to go for Children of the Jedi, the first book of the Callista Trilogy. I'm sorry, but half the book was on the Eye of Palpatine, and I just found myself becoming bored toward the end of these scenes, trapped in a claustrophobic environment with Luke increasinlgy spending more time lying on the floor as his leg becomes gangrenous and 3PO's power fails, with Gamorrean 'stormtroopers' running around? Yawn. And the other half of the book, on Belsavis, wasn't fantastic either. Though it does have to be said that Barbara Hambly's other book, Planet of Twilight, whilst certainly not being one of my favourites, is much better, and rounds out the Callista Trilogy well, if bittersweetly. I just wish they'd found a way to bring Callista Ming back into the story after she vanished off the scene. I mean, where has she been all these subsequent years...?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I've already stated many a time which books I can't stand (those being the Lando series, Children of the Jedi, Darksaber, and Planet of Twilight), but I have to say Invincible greatly disappointed me. There are far worse books in the beloved SW saga, but it was just such a horribly written finale to a series. I loved how the whole Jacen/Jaina plot was handled, and how it ended, don't get me wrong. But there was so much more going on! And Denning just seemed to toss out some quick answers to tie it all off. Sooo...for the much anticipated end to LotF, I was greatly disappointed. *sigh*

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Yeah, Invincible was the latest stinker from Lucas and Del Rey, right at the top of my Amazon list of Star Wars Trash. Have a look here:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Trash-Books-to-Avoid/lm/R3ABSJTPJ23ANR/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Oh no, you can't have Tag and Bink on that list! Well, I've never read it, but Kal, one of the EUCast hosts talked about it a lot last week, and I was told it was really good.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm SO not surprised Invincible got #1. Even though I whole heartily disagree; I like the book. And also Allegiance,Force Heretic and Swarm War!!!! Come on!! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Have to say, I get a sad kind of joy from seeing Invincible used as a punchbag... Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Well, I gotta say I liked Force Heretic - Remnant too! Come on, we got to explore the Unknown Regions and finally got to see Csilla! I am in agreement about Dark Empire though, but I probably wouldn't have used exactly the same words. Still have to read Allegiance, Dark Nest - The Swarm War, etc., I have them all at home waiting to be read.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 3