Good Things About The Prequel Trilogy
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Good Things About The Prequel Trilogy
 PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Inspired by the latest episode of the Bothan Report, I decided to make a thread listing all the good things about the prequel trilogy, in response to people tiredly bashing it. Now, I won't list everything I like about the prequels, that would undermine having a discussive thread! Instead, he's a link to a very good article.

The Good Side Of The Phantom Menace Article

There is another on AOTC, but I can't find the page just yet. But for now, here's another: Let's Talk Star Wars While I've not read it myself, it does start with the phrase 'I don't hate the prequel trilogy, so I guess it would fit here!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Huzzah! I have found it! Or at least I think I have... Bob Strikes Back At AOTC Naysayers
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Another, by the same author Notes On Duel Of The Fates
While I haven't read that one, I'm sure it's still well worth the read.
And belatedly I warn you that these articles may be a little long...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Frankly, I laugh whenever I hear some ramble on about how the PT was bad. They nitpick every single scene, to the point where you'd think a character that blinked twice in 30 seconds would set them off.

This guy makes some good points, and while I didn't read the whole thing, I agree with him.

While the first two prequels weren't much on par with the original trilogy, they were good and enjoyable films, and they paved the way for Revenge of the Sith, which pretty much outshines the rest of the saga.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Depending on your views this might actually be a bad thing, but I liked how the PT fleshed out the Star Wars galaxy and got more in depth into what exactly the Jedi and Sith are. I guess it did kind of ruin the mystery, but I can't help but think it's cool. Cool The way the galaxy was fleshed out also really helped the EU out of it's rudimentary days of Waru, the Empire that never dies, the Holiday Special etc. Once the Star Wars galaxy had the depth that the PT gave it, the EU really took off.

And, yes Jedi Joe, the PT brought us Revenge of the Sith! Very Happy

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I quite like the prequels. Of course, I'm the one lone fan who actually prefers AotC to TPM. Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote  

I personally liked the PT movies. Granted I still like the OT more but the PT isn't bad. For one thing I think the PT movies have great scores by John Williams, and the quality of the movie score is important to me. As Reep said it fleshed out the whole Jedi vs Sith thing. Another thing I liked is it highlighted the elaborate skill in lightsaber combat that the OT really only scratched. It also explained why Obi-Wan saw the lightsaber as so symbolically important in ANH.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Someone posted this on the sw.com forums, and it was just too epic to ignore. A 108 page rebuttal to criticism of Ep I:
The Rebuttal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Jedi Joe wrote:
Frankly, I laugh whenever I hear some ramble on about how the PT was bad. They nitpick every single scene, to the point where you'd think a character that blinked twice in 30 seconds would set them off.

This guy makes some good points, and while I didn't read the whole thing, I agree with him.

While the first two prequels weren't much on par with the original trilogy, they were good and enjoyable films, and they paved the way for Revenge of the Sith, which pretty much outshines the rest of the saga.

I see this as something many fans did when they learned that Luke Skywalker was never the hero of the Saga. Many refuse to see it as Vader's story- but that's all George wanted to do with it.

I've come a long way with the PT I always liked it, but now find more and more it's becoming my preferred era to be told by GL.I just wish he'd have kept the books and comics from the era until he was finished.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I sought out a bunch of pro-prequel reviews and essays back when the Plinkett stuff was popular, I'll see if I can find them. I find the prequel hate to be an interesting phenomenon... I think by making more SW movies, this sort of backlash was inevitable to some extent.

As for the films themselves, I honestly cannot rate them... and I can't pick one trilogy over the other. If you had asked me at different points of my life which was my favorite film, I would have different answers. I think I've given up on having a favorite.

Though it's interesting that for the longest time as a child, it was Return of the Jedi, which is generally regarded to be the weakest entry of the original trilogy, but I'm pretty sure was the first one I saw.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

LivingJediDream wrote:
I sought out a bunch of pro-prequel reviews and essays back when the Plinkett stuff was popular, I'll see if I can find them. I find the prequel hate to be an interesting phenomenon... I think by making more SW movies, this sort of backlash was inevitable to some extent.

As for the films themselves, I honestly cannot rate them... and I can't pick one trilogy over the other. If you had asked me at different points of my life which was my favorite film, I would have different answers. I think I've given up on having a favorite.

Though it's interesting that for the longest time as a child, it was Return of the Jedi, which is generally regarded to be the weakest entry of the original trilogy, but I'm pretty sure was the first one I saw.

I think part of the "OT Hate" is the "Joke of Jar Jar" like I love ribbing Jar Jar but I don't truly HATE him, I like to play I do. But I think with everything you'll have complaints and those who don't get it, or don't like something.

OT- I always saw A New Hope as the weakest- only cause it seemed to drag the most. For me it was always a tie between ESB and RotJ- with ESB winning cause I didn't care too much for the Ewoks. Just couldn't buy them as savages at the time.

And even now I have a hard time comparing either trilogy to the other cause they are totally different in so many aspects. I could compare the apple to the orange but why bother when I love them both so much Wink

But I will admit I've learned some very interesting POVs from some of the biggest "haters" of one thing or another. They tend to run with a point like I do- NO WONDER EVERYONE THINKS I"M SO NEGATIVE Laughing

As long as the love of SW is there I never fear.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

ROTJ had Ewoks, which were the Jar Jar prototype. I'm guessing the 12-16 year olds that saw SW in theaters were 18-22 when ROTJ came out and disliked the Ewoks.

I also always felt Star Wars was the weakest of the OT, which was the last one I saw, which I suppose is funny that I saw them in reverse order. To me as a child, it was the most boring and didn't have a lightsaber duel and the space battle wasn't as good as Hoth or Endor. Now, I'm starting to feel like it's the best, because it's the best standalone film.

I think enjoyment of the films is all a matter of when you saw them and in which order.

What I find peculiar though is a subset of SW fans that hate the prequels (and now, TCW) due to the contradictions with the EU. I never had that problem because I suppose I always viewed the films as more authentic. Like the Jedi disappearing at death and Jedi marriage stuff, that never bothered me. And I was a huge EU fan and had read all the stuff that existed prior to Episode I. I don't know, I guess I'm an aberration in that sense, because most people seem to dislike the prequels for that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

LivingJediDream wrote:
ROTJ had Ewoks, which were the Jar Jar prototype. I'm guessing the 12-16 year olds that saw SW in theaters were 18-22 when ROTJ came out and disliked the Ewoks.

I also always felt Star Wars was the weakest of the OT, which was the last one I saw, which I suppose is funny that I saw them in reverse order. To me as a child, it was the most boring and didn't have a lightsaber duel and the space battle wasn't as good as Hoth or Endor. Now, I'm starting to feel like it's the best, because it's the best standalone film.

I think enjoyment of the films is all a matter of when you saw them and in which order.

What I find peculiar though is a subset of SW fans that hate the prequels (and now, TCW) due to the contradictions with the EU. I never had that problem because I suppose I always viewed the films as more authentic. Like the Jedi disappearing at death and Jedi marriage stuff, that never bothered me. And I was a huge EU fan and had read all the stuff that existed prior to Episode I. I don't know, I guess I'm an aberration in that sense, because most people seem to dislike the prequels for that.

I think the problem most of those fans have is that they wished George was as invested as they were in those Star Wars stories. Most let themselves get carried away, but then who doesn't get carried away at one time or another. lol

I think most of the EU fans that dislike TCW so much need to remember that TCW is T-level and thus is still EU. (Yes that stings some of those fans... I know. But that's OK; it's not the end of C-level canon. As you're aware of no doubt.) Retcons have never been a "new concept" in SW. They have been around since the beginning. It's the result of GL's creative process.

But I think you nailed it with "enjoyment and the matter of when you saw and which order" in all senses even. Comics Books even the games. Well maybe not so much the games Laughing

But books and comics depending on what one's read- the read the first time through (the most impressionable one) depends on that almost to really deliver. One of those that leaps to mind is Jacen Solo's fall- if one's not read all the books about his history his loss might not mean as much- same with Anakin Solo. (though in my own personal experiments- all the people I had read Star By Star as their first SWEU book- they all read my WHOLE library- all 4 of them.) -so I'm not sure what to make of that. lol

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm on my phone on my break, so I'll be brief. I think the EU disregards itself just as much as TCW does. Example: I know people may dislike hearing this, but Zahn is pretty revisionist in the Hand of Thrawn. Look at what he did with Mara and Lando.

People don't have an issue with the EU changing itself if they like the change. Another example: Vergere. I think most disliked the character and so LotF didn't bother them. But with the prequels and TCW, people default toward disliking any change without giving the new stuff a chance. I think TFU doesn't get a fair shake either.

I can elaborate further later this evening.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Life: I'll read the rebuttal sometime soon, but I'm afraid I'm all epic-ed out today.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 3