S3 - Episode 15: Overlords
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Cave of Dagobah. Lake of Apparations. I think this new cave is no different.

I think it is Qui-Gon but I also think Obi-wan will be convinced it's not "Him-him" but just a projection of some form- be it vision, dream, cave. Enough to dismiss it being Qui-gon.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Just caught this episode. It was very...surreal. I'm not sure how much I liked it.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I liked the episode immensely. I'm not sure why Obi-Wan has to come away convinced he didn't speak to Qui-Gon. If he only spoke to him on Mortis, then it's still surprising that Yoda can commune with him at any time.

I hope the next two episodes delve more deeply into what are the light and dark sides, although I imagine that this episode itself was somewhat allegorical in that regard.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I wonder if the Blue Ray will have Vader's voice dubbed over with the POWER of the Force that we're getting in all these TCW episodes lately....

Loved it!

Too much light can cause imbalance! That alone made my day!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'm still pondering it over. While I liked the concepts the episode brought up and I found the visions to be very interesting, I'm just not sure I liked the overall tone. It was just a little too Twlight Zone-ish or something. I don't know. Confused

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I'm still pondering it over. While I liked the concepts the episode brought up and I found the visions to be very interesting, I'm just not sure I liked the overall tone. It was just a little too Twlight Zone-ish or something. I don't know. Confused

Too surreal?

I like that this episode really meshed well with the Force as presented in the New Jedi Order, especially The Unifying Force. As I preached at TFN for a while, the Force as depicted in NJO is precisely the same way that it was depicted in the prequels and their spin-off materials, e.g. the novelization on Episode I and Cloak of Deception.

Sadly, either out of the preference of the writers of the subsequent book series, or bowing to fan pressure at places such as TFN, they tried to retcon the NJO stuff away by introducing Darth Caedus and retconning Vergere into a Sith. I argue the latter point as untrue, given the "evidence" is purely based upon character testimony and perspective, some of which is extremely badly done -- specifically, Luke's apparent belief that Vergere was a Sith infiltrator in Vortex despite the fact that he has absolutely no way of possessing that belief.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

LivingJediDream wrote:
Too surreal?

Perhaps so. It wasn't what I thought I'd get from Star Wars, but I'm starting to accept the idea. I think I'll like the next episode better now that I know what to expect.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I thought it was an interesting allegory that only the Chosen One can tame the Father's two children, whom themselves are allegorical for the light and dark sides of the Force.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:40 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I saw the episode
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I am looking forward to dark Ahsoka. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote  

A lot of weird stuff in the episode. Since it's a three parter, I'm reserving judgment until I've seen them all. I'm curious where they are going to go with this. Will Anakin kill the son and daughter? Will the son and daughter escape Mortis?

The Force Wielders have some interesting skills against lightsabers as well. And according to the episode, this Father guy should theoretically be as powerful as Anakin, Force wise.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well it was weird... but I like weird! Very Happy It looks like I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoyed this episode. My fear was that it would take away the mystery surrounding the Prophecy of the Chosen One. but it added to it! A Star Wars rarity! Shocked

Quite possibly the best episode yet.

One thing I found kind of odd though was Anakin saying the Chosen One was "just a myth". I guess it kind of makes sense, but it seems weird.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:

One thing I found kind of odd though was Anakin saying the Chosen One was "just a myth". I guess it kind of makes sense, but it seems weird.

Anakin's belief in the prophecy comes and goes with the plot's need for him to believe it, whether it be in the show or books. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Rolling Eyes

Riley made a good point in his review.
Riley wrote:

There’s a lot regarding the Force in this episode.

The Son, the Daughter, and the Father. The Dark, the Light and the… Balance Keeper? The Evil, the Good… and the one who keeps those two diametrically opposed individuals from biting each other’s heads off.

Wha?

This is something that’s bothered me when it comes to TCW. There’s something to be said for a nice, old fashioned, good vs. evil story. The Clone Wars is muddying that line. Now it seems like the only thing that makes someone a “bad guy” is supporting a bill to create more clones. How dare you! There’s only a gazillion battle droids being built and funded… BY THE SITH! Who are also behind the making of the Clone Army! But the only people who are actually thinking to themselves, “Hmmm, this is weird, the war keeps escalating on both sides evenly” are the Jedi!

But at least we still had that. At least the Jedi are still the ones who can see that there’s a larger problem, that there may be someone truly evil trying to take over the galaxy…

Then we’re reintroduced to the concept of “balance of the Force”.

Ever since I watched Episode one as a kid I’ve wondered, what on earth is balance to the Force anyway?

So does balance to the Force mean that we have to have good and evil coexisting indefinitely? How is that even possible? We’re talking about good guys and bad guys here. The white hats should WIN in the very end!

From what I remember, the Force “surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.” The concept isn’t “Yeah, well, there’s a good side and an evil side but they have to stay perfectly in balance…” (I think it was the yin and yang symbol that finally got to me.)

Good and Evil permanently balancing each other out is a pretty weak philosophy. *goes to ponder in solitude*

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Is this the thread to make a long winded post about the Force, which while referencing this episode will also take other stories into account? Or would that be too off-topic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 2 of 3