Red Harvest by Joe Schreiber
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Old Master Ben wrote:
Not as good as Death Troopers? Death Troopers wasn't so hot to start with. Honestly, I think the horror idea was an interesting one, but they must have picked the wrong author. I'd prefer a true scary story instead of just a gory one. Stover can do the gory stuff, for goodness sakes, and still do an amazing book.

I actually have an easier time with gore than keep-you-awake-at-night scariness. The latter is just a nuisance, especially on a school night. Razz

My library finally got Death Troopers, so I'll probaly have read that before I can read Vortex.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I would also like to add for anyone who has seen the movie Taken or even the trailer for it that Liam Neeson's "Special Set of Skills" monologue is completely ripped off. Shamelessly as a matter of fact.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Really? Like verbatim? Cause that's sad. I really liked that part of the movie. I even rewatched that scene on purpose. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Really? Like verbatim? Cause that's sad. I really liked that part of the movie. I even rewatched that scene on purpose. Sad

I'll put it in spoiler tags here for you so YOU can decide how much of a ripoff it is...

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

So there THAT is...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Shocked

Plagiarism! Evil or Very Mad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

basically lol. I found it funny but i knew that character was based on the dad from taken before reading it. I just didn't think they'd take it that far...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Caedus_16 wrote:
I would also like to add for anyone who has seen the movie Taken or even the trailer for it that Liam Neeson's "Special Set of Skills" monologue is completely ripped off. Shamelessly as a matter of fact.

Joe stated that going in

That the character was based of Taken and some lines made it into the book- to me that's a Easter egg Wink

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Fantastic book, my second favorite EU offering of 2010. I go a little more in-depth in tomorrow's column, but suffice to say that it was a really gripping page-turner. I read it in two sittings, which I never do. No problem with the length, though I suppose it could have used a bit of a nicer epilogue, but it doesn't detract from the overall story.

I found Death Troopers to be overhyped and rather predictable when it wasn't impossible to follow.

Red Harvest was the book I wished Death Troopers had been.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Just finished. Alright, so it ended slightly better than I had at first envisioned, but I've still got to say that it's one of my least favorites for 2010. It just seemed so...blah. Like there was so much focus on the gore, that no story actually developed. I felt like the storyline was floundering the entire time, and in the end it just gave up and drowned.

Oh, and if I heard that line one more time:

"It opened its mouth and screamed."

"It threw back its head and screamed."

"And it screamed."

"And they all screamed."

"For ice cream."

I mean, really, it got very old, very fast. The characters...these were the only ones I was interested in from the beginning:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Anyway, I thought it was disappointing, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I've read scary books before that knocked my socks off and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time, fingernails being nearly bitten off. But neither Death Troopers or Red Harvest was able to accomplish this, and it's rather disappointing. Sad

With a very similar storyline to Death Troopers, the Halo Evolutions story, The Mona Lisa, did what Death Troopers could not. I believe The Mona Lisa came first, which almost makes Death Troopers seem like a copycat, considering their numerous similarities. But that aside, The Mona Lisa had me cringing in terror most of the way through. So...I suppose I'm just sad that Schreiber was unable to do the same. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

"It opened its mouth and screamed."

"It threw back its head and screamed."

"And it screamed."

"And they all screamed."

"For ice cream."

Laughing

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Red Harvest was a novel I was kind-of looking forward to because of its being set in the Old Republic era (which is currently my favorite era.) I wasn't a huge fan of DT, but I was willing to give this one a chance, too. I must say this: It was better than DT. It had great visuals, kept me interested, and had somewhat cool characters, but it isn't a "lasting" addition to the EU library, I feel.

The character names where forgettable; the main characters, on the surface, were cool, but I wanted to know more. What I did like about it was it's no-nonsense approach; no fillers, just what we need/wanted. It was a decent read for me.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just reread this. On the surface all the same problems arose but its actually pretty good. Still too short and I would have loved to see more of Scabrous. I think the characters could have been named better because I find myself struggling to recall several names and why they should matter, but they're ok. Mostly this is just kind of like watching a zombie B-movie. Decent, but not phenomenal. Its just fun.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I read this book about 3 weeks ago. I found it to be brilliant in theory, but subpar in execution. I would have loved it if Darth Scabrous had some actual character development, he would have made a good Sith Lord, but alas, I might have to place him either on the same level as, or just below, Darth Tyranus, who is my least favorite of the Sith. Another thing I couldn't stand were the students. For being potential Sith, they sure didn't act like it. Maybe it is because of my favoritism of the Darth Bane trilogy and the character development of the students at that academy, that I found the ones in Red Harvest to be underwhelming.

Ahh well, here is to the long release date of Darth Plagueis and Revan!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I've not read this, and have no plans to read this. But I have a question, and this place seems as good a place as any. What do you think about Del Ray's decision to branch out into other genres? For example, the horror of Deathtroopers and Red Harvest.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
I've not read this, and have no plans to read this. But I have a question, and this place seems as good a place as any. What do you think about Del Ray's decision to branch out into other genres? For example, the horror of Deathtroopers and Red Harvest.

Well Star Wars is already a Sci-Fi, a Fantasy, comedy, romance, and pseudo-western so tackling one of the few remaining genres like horror isn't shocking to me, I figured they would eventually. I actually quite enjoyed it. And I think they should attempt a mystery...oh wait, LotF Revelation...I guess they already did that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 4 of 6