Twenty-twelve
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This very thread probably negates it, but I love this quote:
C.S. Lewis wrote:
This is the first point to be made: and the first action to be taken is to pull ourselves together. If we are all going to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, let that bomb when it comes find us doing sensible and human things - praying, working, teaching, reading, listening to music, bathing the children, playing tennis, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts - not huddled together like frightened sheep and thinking about bombs.

Just substitue 'atomic bombs' for '2012' (or 'global warming', 'terrorism', the Black Death etc).

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The problem is that instead of just going on with our daily lives, we can work against the threats and prepare for the consequences we can't avoid, including changing our daily lives when it helps our fight.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Maybe Global Warming isn't the best fit for the quote, but 2012 (and atomic bombs) certainly are.

But even with Global Warming, the point of the quote is not to let worry dominate your mind. I recycle, turn off unused lights etc. but I'm not worrying about Global Warming. Wink

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote  

Reepicheep wrote:
Maybe Global Warming isn't the best fit for the quote, but 2012 (and atomic bombs) certainly are.

But even with Global Warming, the point of the quote is not to let worry dominate your mind. I recycle, turn off unused lights etc. but I'm not worrying about Global Warming. Wink

All good points. Personally I'm not worried about Global Warming either, at least not in the abstract sense. I am worried about the practical implications of the many bad things that can happen if we don't protect the environment. To that end I'm worried about the people who don't care and/or don't support strong environmental controls to create a cleaner environment. Not being able to swim in the local lake because of pollution is not high on my list things that make for a good life.

All I really want is to make sure when I'm 60 there are still forests to hike in, wildlife to enjoy watching, and wonderful landscapes to see in general during a drive to the next town. Sadly some of that is already at risk where I live because a group of people want to kill all the deer in the area so they can have their ornamental flowers (they'd seriously rather kill the deer than put up fences).

Last edited by Salaris Vorn on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oy. I heard about a chip company changing their bags into recyclable material, but they reverted back to the old ones because people wee complaining about their noisiness. People, put them in a bowl! Rolling Eyes

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I'm with you there, Vorn. I need greenery to survive. I like going into the garden on Sundays in summer, sitting back, reading a nice book while feeling grass blades between my tootsies. Hiking through seemingly endless forests. There's one national park nearby, it's a beast of a hike to get to the top, but once you get there the view is amazing.

I wonder what these fjords would look like without the green?

I think you can tell I'm not a city guy Laughing
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote  

That fjord is near you? That place looks beautiful. Wink

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Sadly, no. I couldn't find my own pictures of my area. Actually, that's not true. I found some pictures, but those pictures were of a particularly cloudy day!
That fjord would be one of Norway's fjords. Lucky gits. Laughing
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: Planet Spacoid, (if you look it up on facebook, you will find it)

I highly doubt that the world will end. But it would be cool if Cali dropped into the ocean.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Has anyone heard the Motel 6 radio commercial about 2012? I find it absolutely hilarious. Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Has anyone heard the Motel 6 radio commercial about 2012? I find it absolutely hilarious. Very Happy

You just made me realize that, assuming the world doesn't end, the Super Bowl commercials this year will have a whole lot of comic material to work with. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My History teacher told me that the Mayan calendar didn't account for leap-years, so the "end of the world" (ie the end of the calendar cycle) has already happened.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I heard that, too, but also heard it was debunked. Basically that the Mayan calendar all the doomsayers refer to has already been converted to account for leap years. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
I heard that, too, but also heard it was debunked. Basically that the Mayan calendar all the doomsayers refer to has already been converted to account for leap years. Neutral

I expect that in 2,000-3,000 years an ancient calendar of the "star-stripe people" or "maple leaf people" (or insert preferred silly name for your country) will be discovered and the scholars will note that the calendar isn't "capable" of going beyond 4999 or something (deja vu Y2K fears) and we'll have a repeat of what's happening now. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Salaris Vorn wrote:
I expect that in 2,000-3,000 years an ancient calendar of the "star-stripe people" or "maple leaf people" (or insert preferred silly name for your country) will be discovered and the scholars will note that the calendar isn't "capable" of going beyond 4999 or something (deja vu Y2K fears) and we'll have a repeat of what's happening now. Wink

Actually, that is a very good point. And it would make a great story.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 2 of 5