S3 - Episode 17: Ghosts of Mortis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

LivingJediDream wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
I never undstood the confusion. Anakin brought balance to the Force by dropping Palpz down a well. I don't understand what is so hard about that. So, yes, a re-hash of the films does seem superfluous to me. Although I guess that depends on whether you think the Chosen One prophecy works the way I think it works...

It's not a rehash of the films, though. Legacy of the Force is a rehash of the films. This, not so much.

As for the confusion, I am guessing people thought Anakin balanced the Force by establishing a situation whereby there were two Jedi and two Sith.

Reepicheep wrote:
I don't like dark and light balancing. It's just weak philosophy...

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean.

Where to begin...

Evil is corrupted goodness. Plain and simple. It's easy to imagine the truth without the concept of lying, but you can't imagine lying without the concept of truth. It's the same with all evil deeds (with the possible exeption of pride- but that's a whole other breed). Similarly people do good things simply because they are good, but people rarely, if ever, do bad for the sake of it being bad. There's always another motive. Trying to reach a good end (the ends justifying the means) or simply an appetite or desire.

Good and evil aren't equal. Evil is a pale imitation of good.

Also, this is just my opinion, I have big issues with a philosophy that allows good and evil to co-exist for eternity without ever having final victory one way or the other. Evil is terrible and it needs to go. Necessary evils, my eye.

And about the re-hash, at least LotF was with a different character. In Ghosts of Mortis, we had the same thing happening to the same character. Rolling Eyes

LotF had enough differences from RotS to satisfy me, Mortis did not.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Where to begin...

Evil is corrupted goodness. Plain and simple. It's easy to imagine the truth without the concept of lying, but you can't imagine lying without the concept of truth. It's the same with all evil deeds (with the possible exeption of pride- but that's a whole other breed). Similarly people do good things simply because they are good, but people rarely, if ever, do bad for the sake of it being bad. There's always another motive. Trying to reach a good end (the ends justifying the means) or simply an appetite or desire.

Good and evil aren't equal. Evil is a pale imitation of good.

Also, this is just my opinion, I have big issues with a philosophy that allows good and evil to co-exist for eternity without ever having final victory one way or the other. Evil is terrible and it needs to go. Necessary evils, my eye.

That seems to be an issue with Star Wars as a whole, then, and not this trilogy, no? The dark side has always been as equal a part of the Force as the light.

Reepicheep wrote:
And about the re-hash, at least LotF was with a different character. In Ghosts of Mortis, we had the same thing happening to the same character. Rolling Eyes

LotF had enough differences from RotS to satisfy me, Mortis did not.

Just my opinion, but I see more value in having a Dagobah cave style allegory with the Chosen One than taking different characters and having them rehash the same plotline that Anakin already went through. The Mortis trilogy is entirely different in scope: it's wholly spiritual while the saga and LOTF are both galactic scale wars.

It makes sense that Anakin would turn to the dark side to avert a vision of the future. We've already seen him do it. I'm not quite sure why that's a negative. And as Kyle Newman points out on the Clone Wars Roundtable for the ForceCast, the arc does develop Anakin's character by confirming for him that he is the Chosen One. He goes from thinking that the Chosen One is a myth to telling Obi-Wan he would feel guilty if he left Mortis without dealing with the Son. Now he knows that he's the Chosen One, and that gives his decisions more weight, and puts even more pressure on him when he makes them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yes, this probably is just a matter of opinion. Smile

As for Star Wars having a light/dark balance, I'm not sure. Force philosophy always came across to me as fuzzy, open to interperatation. Which I liked. Here, it seems to be presented as fact.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

LivingJediDream wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:
Rolling Eyes
Yeah, but if you've seen the films, wouldn't that make this arc a bit superfluous?

In what way is it superfluous? Do the films explain how Anakin, as the Chosen One, brings balance to the Force? I think a trilogy of episodes that act as an allegory for the journey of the Chosen One, rife with symbolism, that explain the prophecy of the Chosen One is probably the best thing to be produced in Star Wars in some time.

I'm not quite sure where you arrive at the conclusion that it's superfluous, or how it's so obvious this is the case that you're rolling your eyes about it. No SW material has explained the prophecy in any depth before. I'd say it's pretty necessary considering that it's been my experience in SW forums that people still debate how Anakin brought balance to the Force, with some still insisting that he did so by reducing the playing field to 2 Jedi and 2 Sith.

As for interpretation vs. fact, is that why people are bothered by it? Do they not like the way the Force is presented? I suppose that's understandable, it's the same reason why a lot of people disliked the NJO, which seemed to have a similar presentation of the Force.

Aww Sad I knew you were going to say this, not word for word, but I knew you'd show this sentiment. I had my post all planned out, but, alas, Reeps and the Queen expressed my thoughts quite well *Shakes fist at the pair* Meddling kids!
I joke.
However, I would say it's superfluous because we've seen the films, we know what happens, we don't need an hour or so of this series to tell us what happens, because - and I cannot stress this enough - we've seen the films! We've also heard George Lucas himself say Anakin is the Chosen One, and we've a plethora of in universe books which discuss such things, as well as out of universe 'factual' books, so, yes, saying it's original and not superfluous is a bunk point of view.
And the rolling eyes thing, sorry, as it was probably a little insulting, but it was because you kind of misinterpreted my post Laughing
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The rolling eyes are awfully tempting... Razz

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

But notice they smile fondly at the end of the roll. Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 3 of 3