EUChatter! The Offical Chat Thread of EUCast!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Official Forum of Solo Sound View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Don't fight the impulse, IR2. Buy the book. Buy Heir To The Empire. Buy it! Laughing
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:
Don't fight the impulse, IR2. Buy the book. Buy Heir To The Empire. Buy it! Laughing

*His Best James T. Kirk impression*

I.... don't.....know..... must be....a.....pretty-long.....short..story.......

But I totally want to see some Imperial/ Republic necklaces! How sick would those be!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Aw, yeah! Okay, I don't really do periphinalia, but those would be pretty awesome!

Now, OMB, IR2, Mara, I have missed your antics on EUCast! I missed it! Welcome back!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:
Aw, yeah! Okay, I don't really do periphinalia, but those would be pretty awesome!

Now, OMB, IR2, Mara, I have missed your antics on EUCast! I missed it! Welcome back!

Thanks Life! It's good to be back! I get anxious to talk shop when we go longer then a week with no EUCast. Wink

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Hello all,

I just finished listening to EUCast 118, and had something I was hoping to clarify.

You guys were discussing the new Drew Karpyshyn novel. Now, from it's original announcement (as an Untitled Old Republic novel)I was almost positive that this novel was being tied directly into The Old Republic, the upcoming game from BioWare. Not a sequel to Fatal Alliance or Deceived, but in that same timeline, with that specific Sith Empire. That was the impression I had, compounded by the fact that Mr. Karpyshyn is writing for BioWare for the game. But it seemed in the podcast that Mark believed it to be in any, undefined time period in the Old Republic era, and in all likeliness closer to the Knight Errant era.

So may I please ask for a clarification? Do we know if this novel is specifically tied to Star Wars: The Old Republic? Or is this set in some undefined period in the Old Republic era?

Also, I was thinking about the Letter to the Editor idea, and was wondering if you thought of expanding that to authors. I've only ever sent anything to an author once (I complimented Sean Williams on Fatal Alliance and TFU2, and asked about the eBay auction he'd had, where the highest bidder won their name, Star Wars-ified into Fatal Alliance, and the money would go to the victims of Australian wildfires). I was so happy to get a reply from him a few weeks later (apparently it was a man whose last name was Howlett, Star Wars-ified to Darth Howl). I'm thinking of sending something to JJM to compliment him on Knight Errant and ask some questions about his writing, My thought was that, in addition to sending you theoretical letters to the editor, you might be BCC'd on actual letters to editors or authors.

Thank you!

PS: Great show as always, and you got my review in iTunes!
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Hello all,

Hello! Greetings!
Taral-DLOS wrote:

You guys were discussing the new Drew Karpyshyn novel. Now, from it's original announcement (as an Untitled Old Republic novel)I was almost positive that this novel was being tied directly into The Old Republic, the upcoming game from BioWare. Not a sequel to Fatal Alliance or Deceived, but in that same timeline, with that specific Sith Empire. That was the impression I had, compounded by the fact that Mr. Karpyshyn is writing for BioWare for the game. But it seemed in the podcast that Mark believed it to be in any, undefined time period in the Old Republic era, and in all likeliness closer to the Knight Errant era.

So may I please ask for a clarification? Do we know if this novel is specifically tied to Star Wars: The Old Republic? Or is this set in some undefined period in the Old Republic era?

Yes, it's a "The Old Republic" tied in novel- it most likely will be about new characters, I meant by it could be anywhere in the aspect of the era being "The Old Republic" in name as well. IMO they need to just divide the era, it would make placing a novel easier. Like when I say it's set in the NJO, I mean between 25-40 ABY, but the Old Republic "era" is from 5000-33 BBY, and if you consider how much the Sith and even Mandalorians and Jedi have evolved in that span it can be confusing when one says it's an Old Republic novel.

But for clarification:

Sue has now confirmed that the novel on October 18 will be Drew Karpyshyn’s The Old Republic novel

But honestly- I've been behind the times this last month when it comes to releases. I've been so busy running all this engspice for the hutts, forgive me if I'm mistaken about something. Wink I believe the book will fit into the game in some form or fashion- though I'm not sure how much info has been revealed at this time.

Taral-DLOS wrote:

Also, I was thinking about the Letter to the Editor idea, and was wondering if you thought of expanding that to authors. I've only ever sent anything to an author once (I complimented Sean Williams on Fatal Alliance and TFU2, and asked about the eBay auction he'd had, where the highest bidder won their name, Star Wars-ified into Fatal Alliance, and the money would go to the victims of Australian wildfires). I was so happy to get a reply from him a few weeks later (apparently it was a man whose last name was Howlett, Star Wars-ified to Darth Howl). I'm thinking of sending something to JJM to compliment him on Knight Errant and ask some questions about his writing, My thought was that, in addition to sending you theoretical letters to the editor, you might be BCC'd on actual letters to editors or authors.

Be sure to follow our Facebook or twitter feeds (mainly twitter) when we have our Cantina Interrogations we typically ask listeners for questions they'd like asked. But the idea of expanding the letter to the editor to authors has merit!

Taral-DLOS wrote:

PS: Great show as always, and you got my review in iTunes!

Thanks Taral-DLOS! And welcome to the EUChatter forum! And Welcome to EUCantina! Glad to have you on board!

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I wonder if the TOR novel by Karpyshyn will involve Revan, hence the secrecy. It seems to be hinted at that he was put into stasis or something. Maybe that's just fan desire, though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

LivingJediDream wrote:
I wonder if the TOR novel by Karpyshyn will involve Revan, hence the secrecy. It seems to be hinted at that he was put into stasis or something. Maybe that's just fan desire, though.

I think a part of me would die and go to heaven if that were so!

PS - love the new avatar!

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Technically, doesn't TOR era end in 1000BBY? In the timelines in the novels it lists the Rise Of The Empire era starts during the Bane novels.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Taral-DLOS wrote:

Sure, letters to the author would be acceptable too. Honestly, we're not picky at all about what the listeners send us. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:
Technically, doesn't TOR era end in 1000BBY? In the timelines in the novels it lists the Rise Of The Empire era starts during the Bane novels.

Where have you seen this Life? (I think I've seen it too- I'm just not finding it at the moment. The timelines in the books show the Old Republic era 5000-33 and Rise of the Empire 33-0, Bane falls at 1032 in the timeline in Backlash. But I recall Bane being misplaced in a few timelines. But for the life of me I can't find the ones where it's that way. I know that in the comics Rise of the Empire is shown as 1,000 - 0 vs the novel timeline. Yes, I seem to recall myself complaining of this discrepancy before, at TOS. But Del Rey and Dark Horse have yet to sort their differences in Eras.

Del Rey: (From this weeks Backlash reprint)

Old Republic 5,000-33
Rise of the Empire 33-0
Rebellion 0-5
New Republic 5-25
New Jedi Order 25-40
Legacy 40+

Lucasfilm Ltd/ Lucas Licensing: (and some of the older books)

Sith Era (aka Old Republic): 25,053-1,000
Rise of the Empire: 1,000-0
Rebellion: 0-5
New Republic: 5-25
New Jedi Order: 25-40
Legacy: 40+

Dark Horse:
Old Republic 5,000-1,000
Rise of the Empire 1000-0
Rebellion: 0-5
New Republic: 5-25
New Jedi Order 25-40
Legacy 40+ (138+)

It's always been weird that some books have different timelines- so when I grab one off the shelf I'm not 100% sure which one it will be Wink

-
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My apologies, IR2, as I cannot check my books. All my books are crammed into my cupboard and it would take a monumental effort to get them all out. Okay, I'm lying. It wouldn't take much, it'd just mean that I'd be flattened when they all fall down on me, and I'm not feeling that brave Laughing
But from the few I can find, the older LOTF have n time stamp, simply the Old Sith Era emblem next to the Bane books and the Rise of the Empire emblem next to Darth Maul Saboteur, as well, the Republic Commando series have that set up. The other books, the more recent ones, have the time stamps and say it's 5000-33BBY. However, I distinctly remember seeing it somewhere. I have a feeling it's in one of the factual books, but I own virtually none of them, and only seen them through loans, so I can't supply an accurate answer.
however, if you'll accept The Wook as a source, The Rise Of The Empire page states it starts at 1000BY. It also says the last two Bane books take place in that era. It only has one source, though, so I again can't say where it says. Really quite frustrating!

This is an interesting idea, though. How's this for new timeline segments (all time stamps are in BBY):
Pre-25000 - Pre-Republic Era
25053-20000 - Republic Expansion Era
20000-17000 - Great Manifest Period
17000-15000 - Indecta Era
15000-12000 - Kymoodon Era
12000-11000 - Pius Dea Era
11000-9000 - Ductavis Era
9000-8000 - Rianitus Period
8000-7000 - Subterra Period
7000-5000 - Manderon Period (this is where we, the readers, start to perk up as we enter familiar territory, and where it comes into play with the discussion about Old Republic eras on EUCast - this one includes the Great Hyperspace War)
5000-4015 - Post Manderon Period (This has the continuation of the TOJ series, but nothing much happens when compared to other eras)
4015-3950 - old Sith Wars era (This has the bulk of what we know of and call KOTOR. Great Sith War, Mandolorian Wars, Jedi Civil War, last of the TOTJ stories and KOTOR comic lines, as well as the KOTOR game and KOTOR II. I define this era as the Second True KOTOR era. The first being PMP)
3950-2000 - Inter-Sith War Period. (The events detailed in the TOR game, novels and TOR website occur here, but not much else. Apart from Otoh Gunga being built. This period could probably be called The Old Republic era, but I've been calling the time around that game and novels The Dark ages)
2000-1000 - New Sith Wars era. (The Sith Wars occur here, including the Bane -ish novels, Knight errant)
Interestingly, the list of Appearances for this era include the latter two Bane novels as well as the Maul book and TMP, AOTC and Dark Rendezvous, although those books are listed as mentioned only)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:
My apologies, IR2, as I cannot check my books. All my books are crammed into my cupboard and it would take a monumental effort to get them all out. Okay, I'm lying. It wouldn't take much, it'd just mean that I'd be flattened when they all fall down on me, and I'm not feeling that brave Laughing
But from the few I can find, the older LOTF have n time stamp, simply the Old Sith Era emblem next to the Bane books and the Rise of the Empire emblem next to Darth Maul Saboteur, as well, the Republic Commando series have that set up. The other books, the more recent ones, have the time stamps and say it's 5000-33BBY. However, I distinctly remember seeing it somewhere. I have a feeling it's in one of the factual books, but I own virtually none of them, and only seen them through loans, so I can't supply an accurate answer.
however, if you'll accept The Wook as a source, The Rise Of The Empire page states it starts at 1000BY. It also says the last two Bane books take place in that era. It only has one source, though, so I again can't say where it says. Really quite frustrating!

This is an interesting idea, though. How's this for new timeline segments (all time stamps are in BBY):
Pre-25000 - Pre-Republic Era
25053-20000 - Republic Expansion Era
20000-17000 - Great Manifest Period
17000-15000 - Indecta Era
15000-12000 - Kymoodon Era
12000-11000 - Pius Dea Era
11000-9000 - Ductavis Era
9000-8000 - Rianitus Period
8000-7000 - Subterra Period
7000-5000 - Manderon Period (this is where we, the readers, start to perk up as we enter familiar territory, and where it comes into play with the discussion about Old Republic eras on EUCast - this one includes the Great Hyperspace War)
5000-4015 - Post Manderon Period (This has the continuation of the TOJ series, but nothing much happens when compared to other eras)
4015-3950 - old Sith Wars era (This has the bulk of what we know of and call KOTOR. Great Sith War, Mandolorian Wars, Jedi Civil War, last of the TOTJ stories and KOTOR comic lines, as well as the KOTOR game and KOTOR II. I define this era as the Second True KOTOR era. The first being PMP)
3950-2000 - Inter-Sith War Period. (The events detailed in the TOR game, novels and TOR website occur here, but not much else. Apart from Otoh Gunga being built. This period could probably be called The Old Republic era, but I've been calling the time around that game and novels The Dark ages)
2000-1000 - New Sith Wars era. (The Sith Wars occur here, including the Bane -ish novels, Knight errant)
Interestingly, the list of Appearances for this era include the latter two Bane novels as well as the Maul book and TMP, AOTC and Dark Rendezvous, although those books are listed as mentioned only)

So you understand my issue with the weird multiple sets of dates and era titles.

(Granted Drews book is a The Old Republic (game - tie in) ) but when one says "Old Republic" one *could be* referring to a vast section of SW timeline- same issue with Legacy (though they won't be exploiting that gap anytime soon we're being told at the moment.)

When I brought this up before the response was that the "sub eras" were how they broke down the Old Republic Era.

Though for all real intents and purposes- there is nothing happening 25,000 that doesn't happen in a scourcebook or essential guide. Red Harvest, Knight Errant, and Bane- those our the oldest (in the timeline) novels we have. And comics only go back a little ways as well.

But with the whole sub era thing- I can never find the list of them.

Granted it's not a mjor issue- but I can see it being a source of confusion from time to time- and didn't Anakin Solo get offed for possible confusion of fans and Anakin Skywalker? And Alpha was removed so the A-team of Artoo Anakin and Ahsoka could now be broken up with Rex, cause Alpha was just ONE A name too many... Laughing

But I digress.

Basically I just grabbed the new book from the shelf and realized that they had even it different then others. And sorry if my comments may have confused anyone. I ponder as I go Wink

-
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, you're always confusing me. It's part of why we like you! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:
Oh, you're always confusing me. It's part of why we like you! Wink

YAY! I'd rather be liked then hated! I think I suffer from too many years with illogical as a handle Laughing

But I'm always pondering something these days.

-
-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Official Forum of Solo Sound

Page 14 of 24