Knight Errant Book and Comic by John Jackson Miller
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My library doesn't have it, but that will probably change in the not-too-distant future. I'm glad you guys are enjoying it though. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote  

I've dove into part 2 of the book. It is totally awesome. I am completely loving this book. Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

EDITED BY: Old Master Ben - 12:13 PM, Jan. 31

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote  

You're missing a spoiler tag there. Wink

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sorry, it's a brief aside that doesn't really have anything to do with the plot so I didn't think it classified as a spoiler.

I finished the book.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote  

Finished reading the book. Excellent read! Highly recommended.

Also, I found this interview on starwars.com where author John Jackson Miller discuses how he designed a couple of the ships in the book with legos. Pretty fun read.

http://www.starwars.com/vault/books/knight_errant_lego/index.html

There's also an add-on for the atlas that shows the Sith Space of Knight Errant, also on starwars.com

http://starwars.com/vault/books/knighterrant_atlas/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

EUCantina returns to written reviews with the review of Knight Errant!

http://www.eucantina.net/archives/9951

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

About half way through the book and enjoying it. Several interesting characters (even a blasted Bothan!! I HATE Bothans!!! Laughing) and the first part with the Sith brothers was good and I can't wait to see what got that conclusion but I'm sure it's coming. Part two has been interesting and brings me to my favorite quote of the book so far.

I loved that line, and it ended a chapter too! Makes one anxious to read the next one

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

About 100 pages left. Loved the exploration of all the different rules of Sith Lord. And because of this constant fighting for control, no wonder Bane destroyed them in order to get the galaxy conquered. I'll see how it ends and get back to all.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Finished Knight Errant. The surprise with the Sith Lords was cool and I wouldn't mind seeing more of it in a sequel book or comic series but I haven't seen a Knight Errant solicitation for some time from Dark Horse so I don't know what to think there.

And I can't believe I'm going to say this, but my favorite character was Narsk. It pains me to say that but he was entertaining and interesting. Anyway, I recommend the book for any Star Wars fan and I'll debate whether to dive into the Old Republic books or not. But first, time to check out more Jim Butcher novels.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:28 am Reply with quote  

Rusher was my favorite character. I've always been prone to mercenaries, and the fact that he was an oddball artillery commander really took the cake. You don't get to read about a character like that too often.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote  

Alright...

Knight Errant vs Star by Star

Let's get it on!

Knight Errant = superior characters, superior story, superior entertainment

Star by Star = A still whiny Jacen Solo who gets the coolest up and coming Star Wars character killed, the death of said character who we shall forever mourn, and a convoluted mission that didn't make sense.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

What prompted this comparison?

Edit: Oh, I see.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Preliminary thoughts edge Knight Errant out on top. Even though it's a little annoying, having the psychology of the Sith Lords as perhaps the main talking point of the book (literally everyone compares Odion and Daiman in psychological terms) - it's like Miller read a psychology for dummies book and wants to hit us upside the head with his newfound knowledge. However, I do like dissecting people's minds, so I don't find it that annoying. Just could have been a little more subtle, is all.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Well, I liked it. Quite a bit; it's certainly cemented my love for JJM. I loved how, in the last part, there were some ancient Greek and Roman influence - I hesitate to call them homages. Also, was it just me, or was there something almost wild west about it? The obvious one that I can think of off the top of my head is the blaster Kerra holds in issue #1 - it looks like a revolver. But I just got a sense of Wild West in it. That's not to say there were one or two problems, though:

So, yes, I liked it. Skuls was right when he said it had superior characters, superior setting, superior writing, to Star by Star, but for me SbS just wins out on superior story.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 7