The Debate Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:
Maybe it's a Skywalker curse. Luke fell for every girl he met, even his sister Laughing

Eh, true. Ick. Wink *gasp* The Skywalker line must not be tainted! The horror! Personally, I think they should kill Vestara somewhere along in line.

See I think having some Sith in the blood line makes Cade a more complex character. Like double the demons. For the Skywalkers that came from Ben and Vestara. (if they ever go there)

Ah, but if there is a bunch of Sith in his bloodline, it won't be as much of a punch in the gut when Cade becomes a disappointment. Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote  

Well as far as Ahsoka getting no mention in ROTS and that being the reason she has to go, last time I watched ROTS, Grievous thought he was fighting Obi-Wan for the first time onboard his flag ship.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Vey true, DS.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:
Maybe it's a Skywalker curse. Luke fell for every girl he met, even his sister Laughing

Eh, true. Ick. Wink *gasp* The Skywalker line must not be tainted! The horror! Personally, I think they should kill Vestara somewhere along in line.

See I think having some Sith in the blood line makes Cade a more complex character. Like double the demons. For the Skywalkers that came from Ben and Vestara. (if they ever go there)

Ah, but if there is a bunch of Sith in his bloodline, it won't be as much of a punch in the gut when Cade becomes a disappointment. Wink

Yeah, but Vestara doesn't quite make for a 'bunch of Sith in his bloodline" just enough to make things interesting.

I often see the Sith use of the Dark Side as similar to alcoholics. How alcoholism can be generational.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay, maybe not Sith per se, but (former) shadowy figures in general. Luke had the former Emperor's Hand, Kol had an Imperial agent and now Ben, potentially, has a Sith.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
Okay, maybe not Sith per se, but (former) shadowy figures in general. Luke had the former Emperor's Hand, Kol had an Imperial agent and now Ben, potentially, has a Sith.

Hmmm it brings us to the question: does heritage matter? Or does it only matter in the characters "minds" and thus they themselves give meaning to their heritage?

I'm thinking of how Anakin Solo feared his own fall to the DS because of his Grandfather and namesake, and How Jacen too began to relate to his Grandfather.

So do you think everyone in the SWU is born with a clean slate, or does blood matter?

I'd have to say blood doesn't matter. That the environment raised would be biggest factor. But then to some degrees we know that the Chosen One's bloodline seems to be powerful, and that Anakin's descendants have inherited some of that power.... or at the least a destiny.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Bloodline matters to a degree. I'm thinking genetic here. Certain traits and habits are passed through genes (I'm talking more than just the picking your nose gene), but I think it's more a case of the environment. Having Vader as your granddaddy has to play on your mind somewhat, and it must affect your decisions. As well, you have a lot to live up to, being part of the Skywalker clan, as well as the Solo clan. But if you mean to say that heritage doesn't matter, and thus they're all born with a clean slate, then no. I don't think anyone's born with a clean slate. Take the Solo kids, even as they were born so much was placed on their shoulders. Luke, and others I'm sure, had desired for them to carry on the Jedi Legacy. Palpatine had designs on Anakin - using him as his body.

Sorry to take away from that particular discussion. I have a question about something else. It's a small one, so it won't take away from this one for long. It's about the use of BBY and ABY in universe. I think it was the EU Review that did a segment on this, with a listener saying it makes more sense for it to be BBE and ABE (Before Battle of Endor and After Battle of Endor), and said, after that battle, there's no real reason to use the Yavin system, because after Endor it became less significant. However, I just realised the 0 BBY/ABY is exactly 1,000 after the Ruusan Reformation. Effectively 1,000 ARR. Perhaps they chose to have the dates begin there so that people, who would be used to thinking of a certain year, say, 1002 ARR as '02, they'd still think that year, and it'd be correct in the ABY system, rather than having to remember to take away five years from the date they're used to with the ABE system. What do you think?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote  

Seems sensible.

As for genetics, we do know that when Force users have kids, their kids tend to have the Force as well, so there has to be something in the genes.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not saying that it Cade having shadowy figures in his background makes it less likely for him to fall, it's just that it's a shock for the galaxy to see a Skywalker fall like Cade does. At this point, I don't see why the galaxy would be so shocked. Neutral

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
I'm thinking of how Anakin Solo feared his own fall to the DS because of his Grandfather and namesake,

Actually a lot of that fear had to do with Palpatine touching Anakin while he was in Leia's womb. Anakin was touched powerfully by the Dark Side before birth so his fear had a more concrete base than just being Vader's grandson. I think his heritage coupled with his experience actually made him stronger in resisting the dark side.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Cerrinea wrote:
Quote:
I'm thinking of how Anakin Solo feared his own fall to the DS because of his Grandfather and namesake,

Actually a lot of that fear had to do with Palpatine touching Anakin while he was in Leia's womb. Anakin was touched powerfully by the Dark Side before birth so his fear had a more concrete base than just being Vader's grandson. I think his heritage coupled with his experience actually made him stronger in resisting the dark side.

So then - would you say that it could work either way then depending on the life factors involved? That in Anakin Solo's case the fear of his following kept him on the path of Light?

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Well as far as Ahsoka getting no mention in ROTS and that being the reason she has to go, last time I watched ROTS, Grievous thought he was fighting Obi-Wan for the first time onboard his flag ship.

You mean Anakin, which TCW has maintained? There's nothing about him fighting Obi-Wan for the first time. "Ahh, General Kenobi, the negotiator."

He expresses some familiarity with Obi-Wan, while treating Anakin as someone he never met (and vice-versa).

In Episode I, Nute Gunray is asked if he's ever encountered a Jedi Knight before, to which he says no. Yet he deals with them quite extensively in SW Republic's Stark Hyperspace War story arc, which is a few years before Episode I.

I think it's fair game for Anakin and Grievous to meet if they're both humiliated by the experience so not to acknowledge it or both forget it happened!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote  

Yeah it was one or the other, couldn't remember which.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
So then - would you say that it could work either way then depending on the life factors involved? That in Anakin Solo's case the fear of his following kept him on the path of Light?

That's exactly what I think. I think Anakin's experience made him very vigilant about the dark side. But I also think there was a strength in Anakin (that reminds me of Luke) that Jacen never possessed. Faced with the same experience with Lumiya, I believe Anakin would have found another (and better) way to deal with it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Quote:

That's exactly what I think. I think Anakin's experience made him very vigilant about the dark side. But I also think there was a strength in Anakin (that reminds me of Luke) that Jacen never possessed. Faced with the same experience with Lumiya, I believe Anakin would have found another (and better) way to deal with it.

I think if they kept the original plan and Anakin fulfilled Jacen's role in the NJO with Jacen dying, the rehashing of the prequels that is Legacy of the Force would have been all the more obvious, perhaps resulting in the writers from not even attempting it and keeping the Legacy of the Force storyline in the Old Republic era as it originally was intended to be.

I think Jacen's fall was so out of character I don't try to reconcile it with what we're presented.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 6 of 7