S3 - Episode 20: Citadel Rescue
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

LivingJediDream wrote:
I'm not sure why it matters whether Lucas is making it up as he goes along or not matters with regard to his works being considered "canon" by virtue of being his -- the creator of Star Wars.

It doesn't matter. It's SW. Wink

It's just fun to discuss the chaos that is SW

LivingJediDream wrote:
As for the Infinities analogy, when the EU "references" Infinities elements "into continuity," only those elements referenced are in continuity. The story is still non-continuity.

Not my point with that Dream. I was meaning that we don't then change the Infinities story with a retcon. Like with Mace's R8 droid. the droid shows up. That's about it- no history no back-story- nothing. But its appearance alone caused a retcon. It had been previously established that R6's hit the construction line during the New Republic. And the R7's came 10 A.B.Y. and the R8's came then the R9's in the wake of the Yuuzhan Vong War.

And yet the retcon for the R8 of Maces was that it was just an R8 model. not an R2 series unit with a model number of R2-R8 or something. By making it a model now both Essential Guides to Droids incorrect. (off the top of my head- I've no idea if there are more references then those guide books to the R series droids. You asked for an example, though lol)

LivingJediDream wrote:

When has Lucas ever changed his mind that contradicted something he previously did? What has he approved that he later changed?

I'm not invested enough in the latest with Piell to drag up any beyond the simplest ones. Han shot first, he was executive producer of CW, and has contradicted CW with episodes of TCW a few times. Plus how many episodes did he envision? well he's contradicted himself a few times so as long as we make sure it's the most recent we'll be fine- it's his mod of operation Laughing

I just like to ponder and prattle on as I contemplate.

LivingJediDream wrote:

Honestly, I'm inclined to agree with this from a review of the episode:

UPDATE: Iím reading that there are issues with EU wonks angry about Even Piellís handling in this episode. To them I hope they can lighten up. This show is better than just about anything else in the EU. You canít keep carrying this water for the EU. Itís expendable. They prove it every week.

But Dream- this guys stance is nothing new. I've heard it for 5+ years. Laughing It's George's franchise, everything in it is his to use and dispose of as he sees fit in the process of his tale.

Nothing I don't know- what saddens me is that he'll never be a real SWEU fan. Sure he'll approve of things, but he'll never give it the attention we readers do. Just saddens me when I think about it Laughing

I enjoyed the episode, heck the ending doesn't even bother me that much. I just enjoy adding it to the list of things that didn't "have to" happen.

I wish they would have held off with the CW era as they had in the bantam days.

LivingJediDream wrote:

The Clone Wars really is the best thing going on in Star Wars right now.

IDK, maybe most popular, but best is a matter of opinion. I will agree it rocks.

LivingJediDream wrote:

Del Rey has no idea what it's doing and Dark Horse just cancelled all its ongoing comic series in favor of miniseries. LucasArts apparently cancelled The Force Unleashed 3, and I'm not really sure what else they're doing. I have no idea when TOR is going to be released, and KOTOR 1/2/TOR have a lot of continuity errors just like TCW anyway.

Del Rey: it's hard when the landscape you're writing about is being retconned out from under you by the guy who gave you the license to write your stories it makes things more challenging. Most of their recent issues where marketing decisions.

Dark Horse: They didn't "cancel" per say- they shifted back to an older cover strategy. This isn't too different then when they first rolled out STAR WARS with each of it's arcs until it became Republic and then later splitting into Rebellion and Empire and then other series. Their goal being that by changing to arcs "title and 1-6" of the story a buyer would see #1 and buy it not even caring that Legacy: War #1 is just Legacy #51 or that Invasion: Rescues #3 is just #9 of Invasion. And so forth. The only line they "ended" was Kotor and Legacy will end this year. Unless they trick us and reveal another arc- Mandalorians out there after all. And we're getting more miniseries with this format. (See also Quantity Dissection ) For more on sales numbers by Andrew Halliday. Pretty interesting stuff really.

We've had Blood Ties which will be ongoing miniseries' we have Darth Vader and the Lost Command, Jedi: The Dark Side, The Old Republic: The Lost Sons, Plus Legacy War, Invasions and Dark Times next arcs- (those will continue until we're told they end- granted that MAY come abruptly and with no warning but such is publishing Laughing )

LucasArts: Yeah it's sad about TF3, but TOR should be out this year.

What continuity issues with Kotor 1/2/TOR are you referring?

Wink

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So a guy I've known for a while now put into words something I've even said before myself, and yet recently I find myself willfully blinding myself (for a lack of better terms) to this reality, by the hope of the story that doesn't cause a retcon. I've often said I'm a fan of a good retcon, but I've stopped looking at it from the historian POV, and was looking at it more as a library of the history. Read Slave's post below and continue the rabbit hole journey with me.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Slave has always been so much better at words in the Force Philosophy thread then I, and it's like some thing I've long since forgotten.

I've stopped looking at it from the historian POV, and was looking at it more as a library of the history...

Sure I understood the fundamentals of the canon/ continuity make up (for the most part that is- I couldn't tell you which parts of a story fall where in cases of divided canon levels. ie Prophets of the Dark Side lol)

But I had started to look at it less from a historian's uncovering the past POV and more a history as written (then come the retcon which one had to remember). Cause if one is trying to follow the history of what happened, despite having the books we'll never be able to really pin much down beyond what George gives us. Thinking of it as the historian's POV doesn't change anything, but it can change everything if you're in the right frame of mind.

I mean this whole "death/novel death" thing I've even thought about the twin angle people are talking about. After the initial shock of every "new find" or "Continuity issue" as I often call it, the retcon seeking begins.

But it really is a glass half empty/ full kind of thing.

When the Greedo story was altered in TCW- it didn't even phase me. I'd not recalled any of those stories so beyond being another in a list of minor conflicts it was nothing like the possible impact the Mandalorians had at first) As I've recently said on The Bothan Report: Live- sometimes the "shock factor" is part of the fun. But if I'm looking at it as a history, then it gets hard sometimes to remember that even though George doesn't have full knowledge of every detail in every comic book or source-book or guide, his detail even if made up on the spot are the facts. But if I pause my OOU reality, and think of it in that historian in-universe light, it's like pretending it's a Indian Jones adventure in my mind and makes it feel better then if I'm thinking of it as "George if you've only read what I've read in addition to everything you're about to make we wouldn't be in this mess." mentality.

As Defender of the EU I will still encourage my fellows to read every EU Book and comic despite any "historical errors" that may be.

And as my challenge to myself- from here on out EVERY "CONTINUITY ISSUE" (as I called it before) I WILL SEE AS A CHALLENGE TO RETCON, (As I always have) I will see it as the mystery it is, a "Prime fact" if you will. Laughing

This illogical Rant is brought to you by the numbers 10, 4, 8, and the letters P and M. Good Night!

EDIT: Hehe sounds like my thoughts have come full circle again? http://blogs.starwars.com/IR2/7 <Written by me in 05 Laughing

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've spoken to Dawud at TFN about Force philosophy -- haven't had a chance to read that post yet (I did read what he wrote at TFN), I'll read it after responding to the first one.

Originally I was going to mention the Han shooting first. Sure, Lucas changes his own movies a lot, but it doesn't contradict anything really because he changes it directly, not retcons it with a different story. I consider that to be different. I mean, I guess the 2004 DVD release of Episode V contradicts Shadows of the Empire because Xixor is present on Palpatine's end of his discussion with Vader and the dialogue was altered, but for the most part that doesn't really affect anything else. And I think the Han shoots first controversy is so overblown... if a characterization hinges upon one scene, it's not a particularly deep character. Sure, Han shooting first is better, but it's not as if his character isn't firmly established by every other scene he's in.

I don't think Lucas' involvement with the microseries was anywhere near as comprehensive as on TCW. He seems to have a pretty firm grip on what's going on with TCW. He's involved in the initial outline of every single episode, and I've listened to a few interviews with Filoni where he goes over the process. It sounds to me like Lucas' involvement in the show is identical to his involvement in The Empire Strikes Back. He doesn't write the scripts, he doesn't direct the episodes, but he's involved with every phase of production in an advisory role with veto power.

Also I think the (G, T, C, S, N) scale is dumb, to be honest. It seems to be an internal scale purely for categorization in the holocron, and to assign it a hierarchy was dumb on Chee's part. He says contradictions are handled on a case by case basis. C-canon tends to trump G-canon when they contradict, in the sense that if G-canon seemingly voids C-canon with a blanket statement, it doesn't. Anakin says in ROTS that there's never been a Jedi Knight on the Jedi High Council, for instance. Not so. I think if we went by that system with TCW, there shouldn't be "T-canon" at all, because then TCW would just be C-canon, except for elements explicitly created by George, because books, comics, etc. aren't rated in the canon system themselves, but the characters, ships, planets, etc. within them are based upon where they originate, e.g. EU, Lucas. Thus, Tatooine is G-canon, but Myrkr is C-canon.

As for KOTOR/KOTOR II/TOR, the timeline for TOR revived the Massassi species that was previously extinct (on Yavin 4) after the Great Sith War due to Exar Kun's bid for immortality (The KOTOR Campaign Guide establishes some still live elsewhere in the galaxy, namely Korriban and Tund). KOTOR II resulted in the origination of the Dark Lords of the Sith being the Second Great Schism rather than the First Great Schism, as it was originally, to explain what was originally an anachronism with regard to Kreia describing Tulak Hord using a lightsaber. Those are two pretty major retcons, IMO. KOTOR parallels film technology, even though fifty years earlier the TOTJ comics had the hyperspace beacons in lieu of hyperdrives and pulse wave blasters, which I think is a pretty big shift in fifty years, but is more easily written off. Karpyshyn also messed cortosis up in Path of Destruction, but that's not KOTOR so...

As for Del Rey: they didn't really do a whole lot with the Clone Wars to begin with. I blame their troubles upon their poor creative decisions since 2003 and because their new strategy seems to be quantity over quality. I'm sure once the contract is up in 2013, either they or the next publisher will not publish nearly as much novels. They really need a new strategy with a new focus.

Edit: Looked over the second post. Yeah, the retcon stuff doesn't phase me. I won't skip a beat reading Jedi Twilight because when I read the Thrawn trilogy, the same sort of incorrect information is there. Same with pretty much every Bantam novel. They all made assumptions about the Jedi that proved untrue:

They married.
They had children.
They all disappeared at death -- or at least Jedi Masters did.

A book's title is seemingly at odds with what we learn about the Jedi: Children of the Jedi.

The last one actually bothers me that EU writers made that assumption. If all Jedi, or all Jedi Masters, disappear at death, then why was Vader, the man who hunted down and wiped out the Jedi Order, surprised when Obi-Wan disappeared? Meh.

I'll end this post with something a SW author told me via PM at TFN:

"Just between you and me, canon is bull****. It's just arguments between people who don't have anything better to do. People who insist on categorizing facts into hierarchies of canon need to read actual history, in which nothing is "canonical," but is instead only established to varying degrees of verifiability."

Tying this into one of Dawud's posts at TFN, Lucas' tellings of the Star Wars galaxy are the most accurate "historical" tellings. Thus, Jedi Twilight is told by a slightly less reliable historian that fudged which Jedi brought word of the book's MacGuffin to Nick Rostu.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

IDK- I'd say the fault CAN'T be Reaves- who could he have asked?

Leland Chee. His own eyes for that matter!

If he was on the council in AotC, but not in RotS, that clearly indicates he died somewhere between them.

That's just it- I'm sure they did do some leg work- and I'm sure it was OK at the time he wrote it. Heck he even thanked Leland for his help....

Ah, then Leland Chee (poor soul) is to blame. Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

IDK- I'd say the fault CAN'T be Reaves- who could he have asked?

Leland Chee. His own eyes for that matter!

If he was on the council in AotC, but not in RotS, that clearly indicates he died somewhere between them.

That's just it- I'm sure they did do some leg work- and I'm sure it was OK at the time he wrote it. Heck he even thanked Leland for his help....

Ah, then Leland Chee (poor soul) is to blame. Wink

Laughing Him or Lucas or fate. Though I say go Lucas cause as fans we HAVE to forgive him! Laughing

But I think that's what we had in reality- I'm sure Reaves did his homework but it wasn't till after the chapters were written that George mentioned plans for that certain someone. At that point it becomes unavoidable.

-
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Laughing Him or Lucas or fate. Though I say go Lucas cause as fans we HAVE to forgive him! Laughing

But I think that's what we had in reality- I'm sure Reaves did his homework but it wasn't till after the chapters were written that George mentioned plans for that certain someone. At that point it becomes unavoidable.

Reaves is one of my favorite authors, but he has a lot of continuity issues in his books, especially the Coruscant Nights books. I'm not sure whether this would be one of them, though, and if it was, it would also be Chee or whomever else is responsible for fact checking to catch.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

LivingJediDream wrote:
I've spoken to Dawud at TFN about Force philosophy -- haven't had a chance to read that post yet (I did read what he wrote at TFN), I'll read it after responding to the first one.
Yeah he and I have been conversing on TOS since Force Philosophy Vs 2. - great guy, always insightful to discuss with too!

LivingJediDream wrote:
Originally I was going to mention the Han shooting first. Sure, Lucas changes his own movies a lot, but it doesn't contradict anything really because he changes it directly, not retcons it with a different story. I consider that to be different. I mean, I guess the 2004 DVD release of Episode V contradicts Shadows of the Empire because Xixor is present on Palpatine's end of his discussion with Vader and the dialogue was altered, but for the most part that doesn't really affect anything else. And I think the Han shoots first controversy is so overblown... if a characterization hinges upon one scene, it's not a particularly deep character. Sure, Han shooting first is better, but it's not as if his character isn't firmly established by every other scene he's in.

2004 DVD- which part is this? Why am I drawing a black with that?! Xizor? (Needs to check his DVD to see when he got his)

And yes- Han shoots first is overblown- but - and I think you'll agree- all SW controversy is overblown.

The think I do think of with Han though- by changing that scene the "shoot first ask no questions" scoundrel is now just a guy down on his luck with a bounty on his head, not so much the tough guy who will blast a guy out of his seat for even causing him friction. But the catch when I think about it- the end- in the Han shoots first version we see a guy who has made a history of looking out for #1 and cutting any tie to do so turning around at a point pivotal and at a point that his character type wouldn't have normally. Hence the growth.

But now Han's a good guy- he'll wait to shoot- even almost getting killed. So at the same scene we see a decent guy come back and do a decent thing- that's not so much character growth- (but as you said- the other scenes still hold up - where Luke tells the audience that Han looks out for #1- we have no example of it anymore but we do have Luke telling us to still make it so. (again nothing more then a ponder but it's fun to ponder the what could have beens and the changes that George brings.)

LivingJediDream wrote:

I don't think Lucas' involvement with the microseries was anywhere near as comprehensive as on TCW. He seems to have a pretty firm grip on what's going on with TCW. He's involved in the initial outline of every single episode, and I've listened to a few interviews with Filoni where he goes over the process. It sounds to me like Lucas' involvement in the show is identical to his involvement in The Empire Strikes Back. He doesn't write the scripts, he doesn't direct the episodes, but he's involved with every phase of production in an advisory role with veto power.

IDK, IDK one way or the other. I do know that CW was presented like most EU novels in the past had been at one time or another as having Lucas's involvement and approval. I do hope that if they do have him in there for everything it's as they say, and not smoke and sales tactics; cause that's how the 1st CW one felt- like they were "saying" GL had involvement to get fans to be even more excited about it, yet as soon as the new show came out- TCW- his involvement with CW is shown as very little...

LivingJediDream wrote:

Also I think the (G, T, C, S, N) scale is dumb, to be honest. It seems to be an internal scale purely for categorization in the holocron, and to assign it a hierarchy was dumb on Chee's part. He says contradictions are handled on a case by case basis. C-canon tends to trump G-canon when they contradict, in the sense that if G-canon seemingly voids C-canon with a blanket statement, it doesn't. Anakin says in ROTS that there's never been a Jedi Knight on the Jedi High Council, for instance. Not so. I think if we went by that system with TCW, there shouldn't be "T-canon" at all, because then TCW would just be C-canon, except for elements explicitly created by George, because books, comics, etc. aren't rated in the canon system themselves, but the characters, ships, planets, etc. within them are based upon where they originate, e.g. EU, Lucas. Thus, Tatooine is G-canon, but Myrkr is C-canon.

Well the "Levels" are a holocron thing in the end. Over all it runs on the tier set up.
The Father - G-level canon
The son - Lucas Licensing- the books comics and games T,C,S,N
The Holy Ghost- the Fans ie Fanfic N

But you are right about the blanket statements causing the EU trouble when the blanket is removed and we learn what is REALLY under the blanket. As in this recent case- EU's assumption someone's lack of appearance could be interpreted as "on a mission"

LivingJediDream wrote:

As for KOTOR/KOTOR II/TOR, the timeline for TOR revived the Massassi species that was previously extinct (on Yavin 4) after the Great Sith War due to Exar Kun's bid for immortality (The KOTOR Campaign Guide establishes some still live elsewhere in the galaxy, namely Korriban and Tund). KOTOR II resulted in the origination of the Dark Lords of the Sith being the Second Great Schism rather than the First Great Schism, as it was originally, to explain what was originally an anachronism with regard to Kreia describing Tulak Hord using a lightsaber. Those are two pretty major retcons, IMO. KOTOR parallels film technology, even though fifty years earlier the TOTJ comics had the hyperspace beacons in lieu of hyperdrives and pulse wave blasters, which I think is a pretty big shift in fifty years, but is more easily written off. Karpyshyn also messed cortosis up in Path of Destruction, but that's not KOTOR so...

Ah yes! That's right! Thanks for refreshing me!

LivingJediDream wrote:

As for Del Rey: they didn't really do a whole lot with the Clone Wars to begin with. I blame their troubles upon their poor creative decisions since 2003 and because their new strategy seems to be quantity over quality. I'm sure once the contract is up in 2013, either they or the next publisher will not publish nearly as much novels. They really need a new strategy with a new focus.

DelRey and the Clone Wars- yes and no, They did do a lot in the regards that no one was able to write in that period before them (beyond old Marvel comics and such) But you're right on the weird strategies, we fans can only ponder what they are doing most often. I'm curious what 2014 brings.

LivingJediDream wrote:

Edit: Looked over the second post. Yeah, the retcon stuff doesn't phase me. I won't skip a beat reading Jedi Twilight because when I read the Thrawn trilogy, the same sort of incorrect information is there. Same with pretty much every Bantam novel.

I try to not let them phase me, and for the most part they don't. I usually have read said book before the retcon so when I read the story it worked at the time. But then it also makes it hard cause I then have to unlearn things- it's hard to recall events in books when I'm having to remember ones to unlearn too, and why, and the new retcon that makes it work again. Sure it's fun most days but some times it can be a chore Laughing

LivingJediDream wrote:

They all made assumptions about the Jedi that proved untrue:
They married.
They had children.
They all disappeared at death -- or at least Jedi Masters did.

Well lets not forget the clonning too! So many retcons to fix it all!

Married- yes and no- some did, and it was taboo. And the rule against it didn't come until later, but even so it wasn't too enforced. *Ki-ada-mundi*
They had Children: "it's a lightsaber, your father wanted you to have it, when you were old enough" I could see where they could have thought of Jedi being generational from old Ben. But that too they've been able to retcon. (I wish they didn't need to have retconned it. Like they had better rules to follow or were left off limits. either or.
Disapearing- yeah that one's still not quite retconned enough to make sense. And when did Qui-gon learn from the Whills. I really want to know that one!

LivingJediDream wrote:

A book's title is seemingly at odds with what we learn about the Jedi: Children of the Jedi.

IDK- technically Younglings and Padawans are Children of the Jedi Wink But I felt Karen Traviss did a great job retconning those ones away- those Jedi were but a small sect

LivingJediDream wrote:

The last one actually bothers me that EU writers made that assumption. If all Jedi, or all Jedi Masters, disappear at death, then why was Vader, the man who hunted down and wiped out the Jedi Order, surprised when Obi-Wan disappeared? Meh.

Excellent point!!! That was a total "where'd he go toeing with his boot wasn't it!

LivingJediDream wrote:

I'll end this post with something a SW author told me via PM at TFN:

"Just between you and me, canon is bull****. It's just arguments between people who don't have anything better to do. People who insist on categorizing facts into hierarchies of canon need to read actual history, in which nothing is "canonical," but is instead only established to varying degrees of verifiability."[/quote]

Interesting.... I have to wonder if they had this outlook before or after writing their novel? Laughing Was-it-Reaves?! lol

LivingJediDream wrote:

Tying this into one of Dawud's posts at TFN, Lucas' tellings of the Star Wars galaxy are the most accurate "historical" tellings. Thus, Jedi Twilight is told by a slightly less reliable historian that fudged which Jedi brought word of the book's MacGuffin to Nick Rostu.

Exactly! It's hilarious that it takes Slave to tell me something I used to espouse all the time to get me to snap out of my latest funk!

And that's the thing- I always start out with a good laugh at it, but through interacting with others online find myself being on the defensive side cause so many get HAPPY about EU issues caused by TCW... (Not any posters here)

But I then get more frustrated that it never lined up at all and focus on that irony and not the fun that I started with.

Alas- until the next time. Thanks for chatting with me Dream!

-
-

Last edited by illogicalRogue2 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

LivingJediDream wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:

Reaves is one of my favorite authors, but he has a lot of continuity issues in his books, especially the Coruscant Nights books.

Then you'll get a kick out of my SW author comment then Laughing

-
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote  

This topic is so deep now, I'm not sure if I can even step in. Stang you guys and your massive replies Laughing

Okay, so back to good old Piell and how his fate has been rewritten. Some people are okay with it, others see it as another straw on the pile of continuity issues in TCW that is threatening to break the camel's back (for some at least).

Thus I'm going to look at this whole issue again in a new light, one which was briefly introduced somewhere amid all those massive replies. The idea that George (assuming killing Piell in this episode was his idea) rewrote Piell's fate for the better is one I think I can get behind. In Coruscant Nights, I don't recall his death being very epic. It's been a while since I read that book, so I could be wrong. But his death in this episode was pretty good, and I really like how the memorial worked out. Him dying amongst the likes of Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi during a break out that freed someone as sinister as Tarkin from what was built up to be one of the best prisons the Separatists had...yes, that is Epic. A fitting way to go.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The author wasn't Reaves, and he (there's so few female authors in SW) said it to me about a year ago. He had written a few SW novels at the time and had spoken with George Lucas at length about Star Wars. I guess that's sort of a hint. We were discussing a controversial character.

As far as I know, the author in question has never had any continuity issues in his books.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:
This topic is so deep now, I'm not sure if I can even step in. Stang you guys and your massive replies Laughing

Okay, so back to good old Piell and how his fate has been rewritten. Some people are okay with it, others see it as another straw on the pile of continuity issues in TCW that is threatening to break the camel's back (for some at least).

Thus I'm going to look at this whole issue again in a new light, one which was briefly introduced somewhere amid all those massive replies. The idea that George (assuming killing Piell in this episode was his idea) rewrote Piell's fate for the better is one I think I can get behind. In Coruscant Nights, I don't recall his death being very epic. It's been a while since I read that book, so I could be wrong. But his death in this episode was pretty good, and I really like how the memorial worked out. Him dying amongst the likes of Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi during a break out that freed someone as sinister as Tarkin from what was built up to be one of the best prisons the Separatists had...yes, that is Epic. A fitting way to go.

Agreed-on-so-many-levels-it's-actually-quite-funny!

-
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

LivingJediDream wrote:
The author wasn't Reaves, and he (there's so few female authors in SW) said it to me about a year ago. He had written a few SW novels at the time and had spoken with George Lucas at length about Star Wars. I guess that's sort of a hint. We were discussing a controversial character.

As far as I know, the author in question has never had any continuity issues in his books.

Hmm I think I know who you're reffering. But yeah the Reaves thing was pure joke: the lack of continuity in the CN story and all. Laughing

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quote  

I finally got a chance to watch the episode commentary. Dave Filoni didn't mention Piell at all, but he did have some interesting comments on Osi Sobeck. The voice they used for Sobeck is a rough version of a Christopher Walken impersonation. I thought that was pretty neat, and it puts the character in a different perspective.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 2 of 2