The Death Penalty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Gotta remember that some people plead insanity. While some people are just super good at fakin it, there are those who genuinly need help. Murder deserves like response, but sometimes there needs to be consideration of mental state. Don't let the fact that I study psychology for a career sway your opinion or anything Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just an update: I'm no longer against Capital Punishment. Necessarily. But I'm not for it either.

Basically, I've done some reading in the Bible (Old and New Testaments) and I've come to the decision that, at least for now, there isn't enough evidence to go either way. Seeing as this is a matter of life and death, I won't make a snap decision and I'll just be undecided. Hopefully, I'll see which side is correct one day, but until then...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Laws should not be based on religion - it's a quick trip to extreme punishment that doesn't fit the crime, like 16th and 17th century Swiss protestants executing people for slapping or arguing against their parents, and justifying the executions with bible - and there should not be punishments that are irrevocable. Death penalty is one such punishment.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Rouge77 wrote:
Laws should not be based on religion

Laws are based on morality. Everyone involved in Politics tries to tell you how you ought to behave towards one another. This is the basic idea behind lawmaking, and it is basically legislating morality.

Even topics like abortion are about morality. Both sides argue for what they think is a moral position; one a right to life, the other a right to "choose."

Keeping that in mind, many people get their moral ideas from religion. They are strongly linked together, but two separate things. This can be shown by the fact that even atheists can do moral things.

So I agree, you cannot legislate religion, but you can legislate morality.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think they should bring back the death penalty for Murderers and paedophiles who have sex with young children. For extra punishment for those sick b*****ds before being killed they should be raped by an elephant and see how they like it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote  

Well Missouri still has the death penalty I believe. As far as elephants...creative, inventive, but perhaps not feasible. Personally I do think the whole "cruel and unusual punishment" thing has been taken too far. Punishment should still be punishment, not McDonalds, cable tv, and a gym.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I'm not following where cruel and unusual punishment fits into the death penalty?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Personally I fall down on the side of "in certain circumstances".

Now obviously for minor things this isn't a problem, but for murder (or any degree) where it can be proved that a person who is not clinically insane was responsible, without any doubt, then I think it should be implemented without hesitation.

By "without any doubt" I mean something where there are either: multiple eye-witnesses who can confirm the identity, visual evidence of the killing, or other irrefutable proof of the individual's actions.

If there's any possible doubt, it should simply be life incarceration. And by this i don't mean "off in 7 years with good behaviour", I mean "until they have no pulse, breathing, and their next stop is under 6 feet of soil". (that also applies to the clinically insane mentioned above).

Someone who ends another person's life has no right to the privildege of living out any part of their own.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 5 of 5