Support for Sue Rostoni
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The problem with Lex is, and I've argued in the more distant past often enough with Lex, is that being able to see or admit being wrong is not something that Lex does. Stubborn would be a mild and perhaps too positive a way to put it.

On the other hand, I'm not entirely happy with Rostoni, because this reminds me about the fiasco in LotF about Jacen being Sith revealed between novels. I understand what she was saying - seeing the big picture - but as they have failed in that in the past, I can't say that Lex would be entirely wrong.

It's mainly just the delivery of the message that might be a problem, but I won't take sides especially as I care little now if Daala would fall from power between the novels.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

To me, the issue was not with Lex's complaint or even telling that complaint to Sue. It was doing it in a public setting, knowing that she's calling Sue out and forcing her to reply in public, and anything less than an apology from Sue would be unprofessional, even if she doesn't need to apologize at all. There are about 20 VIPs listed at the start of that thread, and the only one who talks to fans and answers questions? Sue Rostoni. Being rude to her (and taking yourself WAY too seriously while complaining about a non-issue) is uncalled for. I first heard of this Fangirl Cantina last week, when I read a terrible article on the novels needing to be more female focused (while using Knight Errant as an example of a book for fanboys... what?), and now this. I'm not really liking this website.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's quite obvious from the blog that Rouge is spot on about Lex's unwillingness to admit wrong -- very entrenched in their pov and not budging. It reflects poorly on that site, especially now that a second staffer is backing Lex up.

Also totally agree with Ben here. I come from the old school of feminism and to accuse LFL of being anything approaching anti-female is ridiculous. Lucas was just about the first person to put a strong, female character in a lead role, instead of a pretty princess.

Personally, I'm suspect of Lex's motives in calling Sue out in a public thread and trying to force an apology -- then not even being gracious enough to back down when the apology was almost immediately given. That and linking to the Fangirl site smacks of opportunism; drawing attention to the blog. I won't be supporting that site any time soon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Well, I've gone about as far as you can go with them. (I'm Bryan)

I will be posting an official rebuttal online in the next week, though. I don't expect for them to care. This will be a general fan reaction article, and they have a reserved section.

By the way, Tricia of Fan Girl Cantina called Lex a guy, and Tracy of Club Jade specifically told me that Lex is a guy. So, I dunno.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well then he's a she and my info was faulty. I guess I need a new source. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think the mistake might have arose because Lex has - as far as I know the fan site "webs", and that's not terribly well, admittedly - a one very vocal, very similar in her views female friend, under different names in different forums. Their posts can feel very similar. I can't say anything about Lex's own gender.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I just left them a very lengthy response after giving the subject more thought. We'll see what they say.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm sorry, but I find this to be kind of odd in that a few people here trash on The Clone Wars, but since Lex isn't happy with the way LucasBooks has handled FOTJ he needs to "Either enjoy Star Wars -- or find a new hobby"?

I don't think if I posted that in all the threads about the Mortis trilogy where people were complaining about those episodes that it would be very well received. I'm having difficulty determining the line that Lex crossed. Would it be okay if he said that to Dave Filoni? Or was it that he actually raised his criticism to someone responsible for Star Wars, whereas griping to no one in particular is alright?

I'm honestly trying to understand why this is precisely worthy of the outrage it has received here. At TFN, for instance, people were agreeing with Lex and laughing about it. Is it because of the person who said it, and his perceived motives, more than what was said?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Basically Lex was pimping his own blog when he called Sue out on TOS. Sue apologized right away, but that wasn't good enough because Lex has an agenda.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Basically Lex was pimping his own blog when he called Sue out on TOS. Sue apologized right away, but that wasn't good enough because Lex has an agenda.

Okay. So you thought his follow-up was condescending?

Quote:
Sue,

Thank you for your reply. I would encourage you to always keep in mind that your disaffected customers (and former customers), not just the fans who are still happy, are paying attention to all of the information coming out of Lucas Books and Del Rey, hoping for a sign that the EU will get its magic back.

Lex

I just think if you disagree with what he said, by blowing it up into this big drama it's just getting more people to see it, which plays into his hand.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, but he's so entrenched in his position now that it's making him look very unreasonable. It is not good PR for his site.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

What's the point of trying to discredit him, though? I don't think anyone is going to change their minds about it. Maybe he looks unreasonable to the people attacking him, but not to those that agree with him. I don't think people that don't care either way are paying attention. Except for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

LivingJediDream wrote:
At TFN, for instance, people were agreeing with Lex and laughing about it. Is it because of the person who said it, and his perceived motives, more than what was said?

At TFN I would probably get banned for disagreeing with Lex openly Razz , so yes, it's one reason for me not to root for Lex in this.

If it would be someone I am neutral or positive towards and who wouldn't be promoting a site with the help of the criticism, yes, I probably would be more favourable remembering the Jacen Sith thing from LotF.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Can you provide a link to the TFN thread? I couldn't find it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's in the Fate of the Jedi discussion thread.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 2 of 3