Star Wars Questions/Answers Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Wars Questions/Answers Thread
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I thought it might be cool to have a place to ask questions about Star Wars, because there's a good chance someone here will know the answer.

Here's my first:
Do clone troopers get promoted or are they born with their rank?

*MOD EDIT* It is cool! And seconded. It shall be carried out at once. In fact we'll make it a sticky so everyone can more readily find it!

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Hmmm....I'm not sure. I know ARC troopers and such are bred to be more independent. But didn't troopers get promoted in Traviss' books? Like those count anymore, though. Sad

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:24 am Reply with quote  

I would say they get promoted. Didn't Cody get retrained in order to be a commander? I imagine that as squad sergeants and such get wiped out, the more senior clones get promoted by their superiors. It would be rather silly to put fresh clones out of the tank straight into command when they have veteran clones to choose from.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay. I'm just thinking that the Clone Wars is only three years long and Cody's been 'Commander Cody' the whole time, as far as I can tell.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote  

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Hmmm....I'm not sure. I know ARC troopers and such are bred to be more independent. But didn't troopers get promoted in Traviss' books? Like those count anymore, though. Sad

I think you are right.

The most accurate answer is probably a combination of both being born into ranks and field promotions. Prior to the start of the Clone Wars presumably the clones were born into their ranks since it stands to reason that if all other roles were ones they were born into their NCOs and Officers would have been intentionally born for that purpose. Odds are though that during the Clone Wars field promotions were common enough since casualties probably outpaced their ability to ship in replacements. Otherwise the command structure would have fallen apart after every battle if they had to wait for replacement clones.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So the answer is yes to both.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. In Fatal Alliance, Shigar wants to be romantically involved with Larin and anyone who knows doesn't seem to think much of it (except maybe Ula Razz ). So... where Jedi allowed romantic attatchments at this time? When did it become unorthodox?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I've been meaning to ask this for a while. In Fatal Alliance, Shigar wants to be romantically involved with Larin and anyone who knows doesn't seem to think much of it (except maybe Ula Razz ). So... where Jedi allowed romantic attatchments at this time? When did it become unorthodox?

Jedi aren't allowed to be involved romantically during TOR. They're the prequel Jedi, with the exception that if the council approves it they can marry. But they have to prove they don't have an attachment.

Tales of the Jedi had Jedi that were married and had children. Then KOTOR 40 years later had the prequel Jedi norms, because Bioware doesn't follow continuity very well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

They were following the new continuity, one put down by the prequel films. Anyway, it's stated in one KOTOR TPB or source book (can't think which one - they all run together for me) that the no attachment line was becoming increasingly popular in the intervening time, and while it wasn't accepted by the whole of the Jedi Order, it was beginning to look like it would soon be.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

LivingJediDream wrote:
[Jedi aren't allowed to be involved romantically during TOR. They're the prequel Jedi, with the exception that if the council approves it they can marry. But they have to prove they don't have an attachment.

Yes. And your prospects for getting marriage approved was better if you belonged to an important Force lineage. I wonder why the Jedi didn't take the next logical step and start a breeding program to produce the Kwisatz H... I mean the Chosen One. Wink

On the other hand, like the Grand Master's secret son proves, rules and actual behaviour are two different things even for the Jedi.

I think there was a second season episode on Ryloth where we saw normal clone troopers getting promoted. I have a memory that they were actually promoted to be ARC troopers...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ That was Rookies. I had forgotten about that. Smile

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yes, it was two members of Domino squad: Fives and *sniffles* Echo.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
^ That was Rookies. I had forgotten about that. Smile

And didn't the entire "ARC Troopers" Season 3 opener hinge on the fact that the clone troopers might some day become ARC Troopers?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've been wondering (don't worry, you won't need protective gear this time) what real world language is the Mandalorian language based on? By that I mean words, not the basic structure and syntax. I think it's based on Maori. Any ideas?

Re: Questions
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

kerrpmb wrote:
When is the queen and the star wars legacy going to be pure? Thank you.

Moved from a locked thread.

I'm not 100% sure what kerrpmb's asking here. Perhaps you could clarify?

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 8