Good Things About The Clone Wars.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
Good Things About The Clone Wars.
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Good morning, my fellow Cantina patrons.
Now, to be quite honest, I am not a fan of TCW. It has many faults, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't always like it, and am often quite vocal as to why. However, slowly, lately, it has been getting better, giving me more reasons to like it. So I thought it'd be a good idea if we could jot down what we like about TCW, rather than do the bandwagon thing by tearing it to shreds.
So what do you like about TCW?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'll start. The visuals. It's rare that you look at the back ground (or even the foreground) and think, 'eurgh!'. Recently I acquired a short kids story book, which I think was called 'The Hunt For Grievous' and I was amazed by thee visuals, and the levels of detail. Okay, some of the characters don't look great, but I commend the scenery, biological as well as technical, and the level of detail that goes into each shot is quite spectacular.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote  

My favorite thing about TCW is also the visuals, but especially the fight scenes, the space battles (and land battles), and I also find a lot of the characters entertaining. I think they do a good job with Ahsoka and Anakin, though my favorite character is still Cad Bane.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I pretty much agree with everthing Darth Skuldren said. I also really like how the Clones are done in the show. I'm one of the few here who actually enjoy The Clone Wars, however I disagree with Life that the show has been getting better lately. In my opinion Season One was pretty good, Season Two took a big step up and then tripped over Season Three. Season Three has just been so odd.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I like that the Clone Wars is directly connected to George Lucas, and he isn't afraid to take Star Wars into new directions than what the films have done. Whereas EU authors generally are more reluctant to do so, and tend to deviate little from the films. An example would be the Nightsisters, as depicted in TCW:

I find them to be infinitely more interesting than Wolverton's depiction of the Nightsisters in The Courtship of Princess Leia and subsequent stories. While in TCoPL, they're women that use the Force as Jedi do but believe they need to chant incantations or perform gestures to do so thinking that it is magic, the Nightsisters in TCW actually use the Force very differently than a Jedi much more in line with "magic." The Expanded Universe used to be a bit more brave in this sort of thing with Sith sorcery, but that's been pretty much abandoned the past ten years with limited appearances.

I like Anakin's characterization in the show, and the Expanded Universe really ignored Anakin during this time period prior to the show: he appeared in SW Republic #49-52, 55-59, 67, 69-71, SW: Obsession, Jedi Trial, Labyrinth of Evil, Dark Rendezvous, and the Free Comic Book day one-off Brothers in Arms. So, 19 comic book issues, two starring roles in novels, and one cameo in a novel. There was also the Clone Wars microseries, which I think fits rather well as a bookend to TCW.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I pretty much agree with everthing Darth Skuldren said. I also really like how the Clones are done in the show. I'm one of the few here who actually enjoy The Clone Wars, however I disagree with Life that the show has been getting better lately. In my opinion Season One was pretty good, Season Two took a big step up and then tripped over Season Three. Season Three has just been so odd.

Okay, tentatively, I disagree. I say tentatively (because it's my word of the day) and because I had wanted to stay away from bad-mouthing TCW here. To me, the stories are, if only slightly, more memorable, as the only one I can remember from season one is the Jar Jar episode, much to my despair. They're a lot more varied, I feel, as we've dealt with clone training, dealing with the prophecy, the nightsisters and dealing with the Seperatist's side of things, as well as the current arc. Yes, they went a little downhill after promising starts, but I must commend the attempt. Maybe it's that they were given three episode arcs, allowing them to be more thought out?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Season Three, for me, has been:

Episodes 1-2: Pretty good. I'm looking forward to this season. Cool
Episodes 3-11: Cardboard politics and pointless fillers ahoy!
Episodes 12-17: What the heck? I am definitley not in Kansas antmore... Confused
Episode 18: *gasps for breath* Am I dreaming?! Are things finally back to normal?!

Not to mention Season One was actually about the Clone Wars...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Aye, but they had no depth for me. I'll have to check on the Wook but I remember season one episodes to be rather samey. And that's the last you'll hear from me on this. I am trying to come up with good things about TCW after all!

The voice acting. What they say hasn't always been good, but the acting has been quite superb.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote  

Season one had the clone trooper episode that was awesome, and I liked the episodes on that snow world with the blue skinned people. Season two highlights were the bounty hunters. I really do miss Cad Bane.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I like it. It has it weak and its garbage episodes, but overall the series gives me the excitement of new SW once a week.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I like when the EU has a nod. Too bad it's just a nod.....................

I really like it when I watch an episode and say "Wow they didn't screw anything up". I just can't say that I like it that much. The Mortis and Dathomir episodes where great to me as an EU fan because I love other Force using organizations.

Since Mandolore, Ventress(well sort of), and the death of a certain Jedi TCW= Evil or Very Mad with me.

-YOU REBEL SCUM!
-Through victory my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Welcome, you two! Nice to see you! So let's talk of nods. Which one really got you excited? For me, it was having Delta Squad show up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Life Is The Path wrote:
Welcome, you two! Nice to see you! So let's talk of nods. Which one really got you excited? For me, it was having Delta Squad show up.

Well I would have to say the Witches of Dathomir was my favorite nod even though they were Zabrak half breeds. I guess it adds a little more story. I don't see it as messing up anything do to the fact that there are different tribes on Dathomir and all. The only other thing I wanted to see was them riding Rancors, but they didn't mess up the story as a whole so I'm good.

-YOU REBEL SCUM!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

EMPIRE622 wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

Well I would have to say the Witches of Dathomir was my favorite nod even though they were Zabrak half breeds. I guess it adds a little more story. I don't see it as messing up anything do to the fact that there are different tribes on Dathomir and all. The only other thing I wanted to see was them riding Rancors, but they didn't mess up the story as a whole so I'm good.

Leland Chee (or someone) addressed this very issue of continuity regarding the Witches over on his FB page. There's no messing up of continuity here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Cerrinea wrote:
EMPIRE622 wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

Leland Chee (or someone) addressed this very issue of continuity regarding the Witches over on his FB page. There's no messing up of continuity here.

Yes I know thats why It's my favorite nod to the EU. I know the story was not messed up. I was just sad that they didn't include the witches riding Rancors.

-YOU REBEL SCUM!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 1 of 3