Vestara Khai
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vestara Khai
 PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So, what are your thoughts on this character? And try not to let her and Ben's "relationship" taint your opinion, if you aren't pleased with said interaction. Let that be for more indepth discussion. Wink

Main reason I started this thread was to comment on the short story, Imprint, written by Christie Golden. Very nice little story, 7 pages, about:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

If anyone would like it, I have a *coughcopycough*, so feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll email it to you. Smile

I really enjoyed the story, short as it was, since we get to see Vestara earlier in her life. Personally, I greatly enjoy her character. She has a normal female outlook and personality, despite her Sith heritage, which it's nice to be reminded of. Sometimes we get too focused (or the Jedi do), on "Sith are evil. The end." But, of course, the best thing about it (in my opinion), is that she does always revert to her Sith teachings, above all. Like in Allies:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

I thought this was very appropriate, showing that she's not infatuated with Ben to the point that she tosses aside everything she's been taught and pretty much brainwashed with since birth.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Feel free to discuss! Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I really like her so far. No one can replace Mara, but I feel as if she could somewhat fill the absence of her, at least for me. I've been so bored with the books without Mara, honestly. She made me really interested in the story, and thats what Vestara is doing for me. You never know what her motives are, so its fun to keep guessing. Shes not a complete idiot either, which is nice. I know they like to do that with female characters. So far all of her storylines have really intrigued me and i cant wait to see what the authors do with her character. I think I'll wait until i read Allies to comment about the Ben-Vestara realtionship. So thats all for now Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Well, I haven't been a fan of the Ben/Vestara relationship from the start, but if I leave that out of it, I will admit that I find Vestara to be a good character. She's shown the ability to be quite Sithy, but at the same time she's relatable. I like her quite a bit.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Well, I haven't been a fan of the Ben/Vestara relationship from the start, but if I leave that out of it, I will admit that I find Vestara to be a good character. She's shown the ability to be quite Sithy, but at the same time she's relatable. I like her quite a bit.
i agree, she's a good character, i cant wait ot read vortex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

She's a good character, personally I like her and Ben's relationship.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The only thing wrong with Vestara is she's very much like Mara. You know, a bad girl who thinks she is doing the right thing because that's what she was taught. Apart from that, she is a good character.

I can't wait to read Conviction. I think she'll have to face the fact that she must choose between family and truth.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Vestara is an interesting character I want to keep my eye on; she seems to be easy to pin-down, and BOOM does something else. Keeping me on my toes, I enjoy reading about her thus far.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Nedara wrote:
The only thing wrong with Vestara is she's very much like Mara.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. We need some clarification here. What exactly do you mean by the above statement? You are talking to Mara Jade Skywalker, after all. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I thought I had. Well, here I go again.

Both of them have been raised on "darkness", but both of them they are protecting people. Both of them will understand their mistake when they spend some time with a Skywalker. And both will marry aforesaid Skywalker and become lightsiders.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, I understand. Sorry, didn't explain myself well. I suppose what I meant was, do you see this as a bad thing? In other words, did you not like Mara as a character? Or were you simply pointing out the flaws in both characters during their Sithy days? That's all I was wondering. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

No at all. I love Mara, but I think they could have make something new with Vestara. She is so similar to Mara that seems Ben never went beyond his Oedipus complex...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ooooohhhhhh! I see what you're saying. And yes, I understand your concern. A lot of people are worried that Vestara is exactly like Mara. But being the biased Mara fan that I am, I cannot complain. It does bother me slightly that she may be somewhat of a replacement for Mara, as Mara Jade Skywalker could never be replaced. But I suppose, for the most part, I'm comforted by the familiar personality.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Vestara can't be more than a copy -if they make her a new Mara, I mean- and never replace her. At it's said, second parts never were good. To me, it's a mistake to try to create another Mara.

On the other hand... Well, we can know what would have happened if Vader would have survived in Endor and Mara would have had a "dark" father.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Ooooohhhhhh! I see what you're saying. And yes, I understand your concern. A lot of people are worried that Vestara is exactly like Mara. But being the biased Mara fan that I am, I cannot complain. It does bother me slightly that she may be somewhat of a replacement for Mara, as Mara Jade Skywalker could never be replaced. But I suppose, for the most part, I'm comforted by the familiar personality.

Not me. I want Mara back. I don't care how rediculously they do it as long as she's back. I do not want a substitute. I want the real deal.

Yeah, I know. Not going to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:13 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

There is still a chance. She is a ghost, after all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 1 of 5