Han Solo - A Ruined Character?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

You know, I like NJO and LotF and FotJ because in them, you can see something deeper in people.

The complex background in any character is there and it hasn't been rubbed from them. Yes, Han send his children in a suiciede mission, as did Leia. And he learns from that. Anakin was 17 and he can't forget his son is dead. So, when Luke does the same when his 14 years old boy, it's quite normal Han reacted as he did.

Why did Han abandon Jacen so soon? Maybe because he is the only one who can really see what Jacen is and always was. Stubborn, with delirious of grandeur, and someone who believes Truth is all his. Besides, Jacen is an adult. He can't be changed. So, no matters what they try, no matters what they do, his son, the boy he remembered, the kind person no longer exists. And he faces that fact before the others do. There is only 2 choices: let him be a Sith Lord or kill him.

So, what else can he do?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Instead of saying that he would like to shoot Jacen, he could have said that he loved him.

If he did.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

That's... deep.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Re: Han Solo - A Ruined Character?
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Old Master Ben wrote:
The other night I was having a conversation with a certain Firefly fan *cough* VileZero *cough*, and he claimed that a character from that show was cooler than Han Solo. In fact, he said that this character was what Han Solo should have been. Now, I've never watched Firefly, so I can't compare the two characters. What I did want to do was see if you all agree or disagree that Han Solo didn't live up to his potential. Basically, he was set up as a no-rules scoundrel guy who was all sorts of awesome in A New Hope. I'm told by a certain fan *cough* VileZero *cough* that he mellows out too much in ESB and ROTJ, and doesn't become the amazing character that he should have been.

I think this is a little silly. Han needed to develop in the later episodes. He was shown as so immature and selfish in A New Hope for a reason, and that reason wasn't to establish him as that sort of character forever. It was to give him a starting place that we could look back at and say "yeah, he really did develop".

What do you think?

Well OMB- you're in luck- Firefly is only one season long- and was followed by one film- Serenity- go rent (or buy- should be under $35) watch Firefly THEN Serenity. And tell me you can't see how Malcom is the Han Solo fans were shown in STAR WARS- the ALMOST same STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE that it later became. (Then that special edition corrected the last lingering "anti hero" element from Han Laughing )

But since it's not a long series (and one I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend) you should watch it, and then see if your opinion in this is the same. Cause honestly- I was in your shoes- until I watched the show- (and I watched it after it's cancellation but still consider myself a Browncoat.)

But Malcom is so cool BECAUSE he was meant to be the Han who shoots first and doesn't worry about questions. Which IMO is what makes Malcom so cool.

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Han Solo forever! What is this talk of treason? I heard Zero's proclamation that whoever it was was the character Han should have been. And do I agree? No!

I agree- long live Han- but I say to you too Mara- Go watch the 1 season and 1 movie of Firefly/Serenity and tell me Malcom isn't the Han Solo you know and love personified in a shoot first motif Laughing

Reepicheep wrote:
Am I the only one who likes Han and Leia in the Legacy era?

No Reep I too enjoy Han and Leia thoroughly- I'm waiting for Leia to take over as Lead Jedi- she was Chief of State after all.... she's got the experience and should have the rest of the Jedi's respect.

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Funny thing, I have Firefly here with me right now. Just got it from the library this week. But I haven't managed to watch it yet. Now I'm even more intrigued, though. Just need to find time.

YAY!!! DO it!

:D

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

Last edited by illogicalRogue2 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Firefly....that's a Whedon show with Nathan Fillion, correct?

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Yep!

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Thought so. The only exposure I have to either Whedon or Fillion is Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. I may have to check out this Firefly thing. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I've only seen Serenity but I really want to see Firefly!

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
I've only seen Serenity but I really want to see Firefly!

Oh! NOOOO! Poor Yoda... Good luck with this! (dead serious- not trying to sound rude or cross or snarky) I've heard nothing good from those who watched Serenity first then Firefly. The movie gave them so many misconceptions about the TV show that they were lost.

Though- you LIKED it right? (my other 3 friends didn't- but I attributed that to watching the movie first.

See- if you hadn't seen the TV series:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

In the TV show they were both considered a part of Mal's crew on Serenity (the ship). But in the movie you'd not have that information. (You're expected to have seen the TV show first for the little details.)

I'll be very interested in your outlook on the TV series when you do get a chance to watch it.

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Thought so. The only exposure I have to either Whedon or Fillion is Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. I may have to check out this Firefly thing. Wink

Buffy/ Angel, Firefly, these are musts for me. Great shows to have watched the entire series of.

Though Veronica Mars, and Prison Break, and Battlestar Galactica fall into this category too.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

Last edited by illogicalRogue2 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

I'll be very interested in your outlook on the TV series when you do get a chance to watch it.

Honestly, I'm sure I'll like it. I watched the movie once a year ago so most of it's a little hazy. I remember enough to make me want to watch the series but not enough to give me any misconceptions. Unless Summer Glau has emotions in the series Razz

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:

Honestly, I'm sure I'll like it. I watched the movie once a year ago so most of it's a little hazy. I remember enough to make me want to watch the series but not enough to give me any misconceptions. Unless Summer Glau has emotions in the series Razz

Nice! Well good luck in your hunt for the series: be it to rent or to own!

If you're ever looking for more TV on DVD that is up Geek alley- let me know- I'll point you to a few real good ones- well ones this Uber-Geek loves!

-
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Actually a friend of mine has the series, now it's just me finding time to watch.

And I'll let you know once I need some more TV!

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

Buffy/ Angel, Firefly, these are musts for me. Great shows to have watched the entire series of.

Though Veronica Mars, and Prison Break, and Battlestar Galactica fall into this category too.

I'm willing to give Firefly a shot, but no Buffy/Angel for me. I just can not tolerate the vampire thing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:

I'm willing to give Firefly a shot, but no Buffy/Angel for me. I just can not tolerate the vampire thing.

Just keep in mind - thises were before the Vampire thing became the Vampire thing- there become less Vamps and more other gouls in both series, but the SW refferences and humor was so great. Plus I got hooked on Spike- his character cracks me up. And when they brought him over to Angel (the two are cross over shows) it was great. But if you like Whedon's humor you might want to give the show a shot. It's much better then the Vamp shows out there. (I don't watch many myself)

But yeah if you want to stick with a more sci fi theme- also give BSG a go- I was leery about that one. But after watching season 1, I was hooked. (I got into it when the show was into it's 3rd and a half way through the series. )

But both it and Firefly hooked me with the characters and the space battles.

-
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I will blame part of my reaction to anything vampire on the current craze, but I never liked the vamp idea/mythology even before the whole Twilight/TrueBlood/whatever thing came around. I did love Dr. Horrible, but things like Buffy and Dollhouse do not interest me in the slightest.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 2 of 5