A call for civility in Star Wars fandom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

For sure. I don't understand the people who take stuff personally and get legitimately angry.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Exactly. Its all entertainment. If you take your entertainment too personally it'll consume you and you'll be like the trekkies: in your basement alone forever...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Haha!

I mean, I like getting all into a debate or feeling passionate for a particular series. But at the end of the day nothing in SW is life or death.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I will occasionally get upset about something SW related, but certainly not enough rage all over the forum.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Unfortunately, the internet gives people an outlet where they can say whatever they like as meanly as they like under the cover of a username. Some people are going to abuse that. I'm just glad we don't have that problem here.

And this might be exactly the reason for ending the TOS forums. One thing about facebook: you're not anonymous.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I didn't get the feeling like it was really a problem on TOS. Sure, some folks complained about TCW and had little good to say. But they rarely posted. Honestly there was a strong contingent of posters who were absolutely loved TCW and hardly posted anywhere else. We TCW fans we left alone. The only thread that really bashed anything was the fan reactions thread in the EU forum. And that was usually just outbursts after they changed Ryloth and such.

Nothing worse than anything said anywhere else. Less so even.

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, I never got any vibes from TOS like that. Nothing ever screamed crazed bunch of radical negative people who are attacking others behind a username. But people feel safe on the Internet regardless of if their real name is out in front. You should see how people using their real names on Twitter post to some athletes and members of the sports media. If they dared to say that stuff to someone's face, they would receive a fist to the nose. But they don't care if their name is known - they feel protected behind the computer screen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's sad really. Just because you can get online doesn't make you cool.

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
It's sad really. Just because you can get online doesn't make you cool.

Aww.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Its true. Creepy dudes can go to the library and log onto anything as long as they have a card. I don't feel special because I'm online, I'm online because i'm special Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's funny picturing "Aww" coming out of your Avatar's mouth.

Anyway, I read one of the linked articles on the Club Jade site that was called "Star Wars fans hate Star Wars". Sooooo funny!

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

This is very interesting. Let me just recall something that happened over at TOS right before it was announced it was shutting down. Do you remember TheRealYoda77? TRY was a member who styled himself as one who knew everything about clones, and invited us to ask questions of him. People did, and at the very beginning things were going very well, yet quickly it was realised that he was simply espousing his own personal views and canon, saying TCW was 'new star wars' and everything that came before it was 'old star wars - real star wars'. You can see the problem here. What ensued were several dozens of posts of us trying to explain just exactly what canon, official canon and personal canon meant.

Beyond that, he'd address members with derogatory terms, though he often stated he wasn't being rude, merely technically accurate. In the end he game up and then made a rather amusing trolling post, which got him banned.

At this point, you may be wondering just what this has got to do with this blog. Well, I've forgotten. So take from it what you will! What I'm pretty sure my point was, is that people like that exist, and we have to just ignore them. However, people like that, trolls, people I term 'hair-pullers' (people who pull their hair out over continuity issues and often say 'wtf george?') I don't like. They bring out a vehemence in me, as well as puzzlement as to how they can simply believe they're right and everyone else is wrong. I doubt I'm going to stop feeling that way, not going to stop having that reaction. What struck me was that that blog had much the same tone as my thoughts - that the writer was venting their ire, much like those people the writer rallies against - though with Dunc it's acceptable because the argument is more thought out and less one sided.

But it's odd, though. I've never felt truly annoyed with any fans simply because they prefer one thing over another (though I may have, from time to time, questioned the sanity of those who think TCW is amazing Razz ). I think we can give each other a thorough pat on the back, then!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I tend to find the most irritating fans within the Expanded Universe circles are the ones that style themselves as experts and lecture on what is and isn't canon. Especially ones like this guy you mentioned that try to pass off their opinions as "canon." There's someone like that at the TOR forums.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Also there was very recently over on TOS in VIP thread (discussed here) the person who imo went over the line with Sue Rostoni, and I believe used it to pimp their own blog. forumers did call him on it, but why would anyone want to put up with that nonsense when they don't have to.

Sue isn't obligated to post anywhere answering questions. To be rude to her is just out of line. I'd be moving over to facebook too in that case.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

You know, Facebook isn't too much better. People still can hide who they are. For example, I have 2 accounts in Facebook, one with my real name and another one with my screen name. So if I'd decide to insult someone with my "Nedara" account, is it going to make any difference?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 2 of 3