What happened to the Noghri???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Good point. I like the Mandos better than the Noghri though so I can't say much.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Werehunter wrote:
In many ways, I think it would have made far more sense for Jania to have gone to the Noghri rather then Fett to learn ways to defeat Jacen. They are likely equal or superior to Mandos in fighting techniques and were less likely to try and kill her.

1st- Welcome to the boards WereHunter!!

Next- I agree going to the Noghri would have helped, but I think the reason was that Fett himself was known to have been the best at hunting Jedi (as a non force sensitive) but the Noghri were expert assassins, they weren't as I recall known for being able to kill Jedi as their reputation. I think they were just very skilled killers.

Fett however has made it an art. Now this is not to say that the Noghri haven't cause I see their use of the knife like an art- but not one that would be capable of besting a fully trained Jedi.

So for me the choice worked enough in the book- even though there were other groups she could have sought out as well.

But I liked how Denning found a way to keep the Mando's involved in some form or fashion.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The problem with that logic though is that Fett has never really been shown to be the best at hunting Jedi, or at least I don't remember reading any stories showing him defeating more Jedis then anyone else. I did read about him hunting Mace when he was a kid but nothing after he grew up, largely because most of the Jedi were already dead.

It felt like they just decided that to create a reason to bring Jania into the Mando storyline. Granted I'll admit that out of everything in Legacy of the Force, I hated the Mando storyline the most. But it just seemed wrong that Jania would head to a group that hates Jedi when there were many other options to learn combat techniques to offset Jacen's addition Force Powers. Though the idea that Jania needs to learn more techniques after fighting so many Vong in ground combat, but that's another issue. lol.

Last edited by Werehunter on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Good point IR2. I think Jaina went there bceause the Mandos in general have a reputation for killing Jedi... not necessarily just Boba Fett.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote  

Well Jaina ultimately went to Fett because Traviss was on board. Without Traviss, it would be interesting to hear if the authors would have still chosen Fett.

I'd certainly like to see the Noghri come back.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Yep, after all those wars, you don't exactly not get a reputation as a Jedi Killing people. You certainly don't get a reputation for being cute and cuddly.
Jaina: Aww, Jag. How about we adopt a youngling?
Jag: But how do we start up a Force loving Fel dynasty without any Solo blood?
Jaina: Exactly. That way we answer the topical questions Del Ray and Dark Horse have left unanswered.
Jag: And to think adoption would fix all that continuity.
(Hops down to the child depot)
Jag: Aww, Jaina! Look it this Ewok. It's so cute and fluffy, and the way it says 'yub yub' melts my cardboard exterior.
Jaina: Nah, Jag. We need a warrior to start off the Imperial Knights with-
Jag: What's the Imperial Knights?
Jaina: Shut up, you. What warrior type things have the Ewoks done, beside take on an entire Legion of Palpatine's troops?
Jag: Fair point. We don't want one that thinks Threepio is a god. He'll be insufferable then.
(Walks over to the next cage)
Jaina: Aww, look! He's so cute!
Jag: That's a Mando, Jaina.
Jaina: I know! Look at it's little hemlet. And tiny jetpack! Aww! When he tries to fire the rocket, little bits of confetti come out. Can we keep him?
Jag: *Sigh* I knew you spending time with that Fett would give you bad ideas. But I thought those bad ideas would just be scalping Wookiees. That, I could live with. But this? That'll ruin my rep with the Moffs.
Jaina: But he's so cute!
Jag: Fine. Come here, you.
Mando kid: Osik. I wanted the Wookiee couple...

The Noghri, I feel, have outlived their usefulness. There's not much call for anyone to be protected. Except for Allana, of course, but she's got Han, a noted scoundrel with lots of experience, and Leia, a Jedi Knight. And Threepio. She's safe with Threepio.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Yep, after all those wars, you don't exactly not get a reputation as a Jedi Killing people. You certainly don't get a reputation for being cute and cuddly.
Jaina: Aww, Jag. How about we adopt a youngling?
Jag: But how do we start up a Force loving Fel dynasty without any Solo blood?
Jaina: Exactly. That way we answer the topical questions Del Ray and Dark Horse have left unanswered.
Jag: And to think adoption would fix all that continuity.
(Hops down to the child depot)
Jag: Aww, Jaina! Look it this Ewok. It's so cute and fluffy, and the way it says 'yub yub' melts my cardboard exterior.
Jaina: Nah, Jag. We need a warrior to start off the Imperial Knights with-
Jag: What's the Imperial Knights?
Jaina: Shut up, you. What warrior type things have the Ewoks done, beside take on an entire Legion of Palpatine's troops?
Jag: Fair point. We don't want one that thinks Threepio is a god. He'll be insufferable then.
(Walks over to the next cage)
Jaina: Aww, look! He's so cute!
Jag: That's a Mando, Jaina.
Jaina: I know! Look at it's little hemlet. And tiny jetpack! Aww! When he tries to fire the rocket, little bits of confetti come out. Can we keep him?
Jag: *Sigh* I knew you spending time with that Fett would give you bad ideas. But I thought those bad ideas would just be scalping Wookiees. That, I could live with. But this? That'll ruin my rep with the Moffs.
Jaina: But he's so cute!
Jag: Fine. Come here, you.
Mando kid: Osik. I wanted the Wookiee couple...

Laughing

Life, you crack me up. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

in my personal canon the Noghri never went away

maybe they could have taken Jacen Solo out before he could go Sith and and kill off a lot of characters that had no reason to actually be killed except for "shock" purposes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Werehunter wrote:
The problem with that logic though is that Fett has never really been shown to be the best at hunting Jedi, or at least I don't remember reading any stories showing him defeating more Jedis then anyone else. I did read about him hunting Mace when he was a kid but nothing after he grew up, largely because most of the Jedi were already dead.

Oh I agree- in the EU Material we have very little. But Fett was always intending for Fett to be "the Best" and that he'd play a role in capturing Jedi. I think the reason we've not seen it in the books is because GL is most likely going to use Fett in some form. You could have him on the live action show with the reputation already in place- thus we'd never see him doing it, but that didn't mean his character hadn't done it. I guess for me the implications that he's always been one of the best was good enough for me. But IIRC the "No disintegrations" line was to refer to his time killing Jedi

Werehunter wrote:
It felt like they just decided that to create a reason to bring Jania into the Mando storyline. Granted I'll admit that out of everything in Legacy of the Force, I hated the Mando storyline the most. But it just seemed wrong that Jania would head to a group that hates Jedi when there were many other options to learn combat techniques to offset Jacen's addition Force Powers. Though the idea that Jania needs to learn more techniques after fighting so many Vong in ground combat, but that's another issue. lol.

Well IMO that's exactly what they did. I mean most stories are just plots put together that flow well, in this case the flow felt more forced then others. But I think how forced it felt depends on one's pov towards Mandalorians and Fett.

But see I didn't see them as "Hating" Jedi- not like the Sith "hate Jedi" a natural distrust YES, but not hate. I've always enjoyed how in the SWU the Mandalorians have played a fundamental role in Galactic events- all the way up to the Empire- and only during the Empire through the clones of Fett- (Well perhaps more of the Mando'ade's action will come to light. SO far Death Watch has stayed pretty low key. But that could change. See I saw it as her going to a group of beings who were USED TO FIGHTING WITHOUT THE FORCE. I felt that was the biggest asset that she was hopping to gain out of it all. That here they were Mando'ade who could from time to time best Jedi and Sith, and have fought toe to toe with both factions throughout history. (PS I use caps to stress my thoughts- not as a form of shouting- in case you were wondering, I'm enjoying you're thoughts on this, not trying to pick at them. Cause I agree the Mando plot felt out in the series. To which I blame poor cooperation on all three authors in that regard. (They could have flowed together better for sure)

But in that regard you are 100% Right that Jain could have learned hand to hand from the Noghri just as easily- but I have to ponder- had she and Jacen (and even Anakin) already learned some fighting from Mom's bodyguards? (Seems like something they would have done at some point; spared with Leia's Noghri.) Although if she was trying to stay more open to a culture who uses Tech as much as a Jedi does the Force then the Mando'ade would have been the better choice of the 2 IMO.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote  

There is still a place for the Noghri to return, just not as bodyguards. What we really need is a young Noghri Jedi to fill out the new order. What would be more awesome than Ben-future-Grand-Master Skywalker befriending a Noghri Jedi Knight? (okay, I would also accept a Tarfang-Jedi as being equally awesome)

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Barabels have taken the place of the Noghri. Seriously, who needs Noghri when you have Saba Sebatyne?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Reepicheep wrote:
The Barabels have taken the place of the Noghri. Seriously, who needs Noghri when you have Saba Sebatyne?

Thissss one disagreez!

Razz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I myself have loved the Noghri's as a species since The Thrawn Trilogy, but hated the way they where under-used in the stories after that.
They should have given the Noghri some more active roles in the stories while they where bodyguarding for Leia and not just to use them as cannon fodder. How many bodyguards did Leia use up after all? Mostly I felt like writers often killed them to underscore the seriousness of a certain situation. Confused
When the Noghri resurface (and I really hope they do) I hope it's not as bodyguards again, but in a way they contribute more to the story.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Lord Ree'dius wrote:
I myself have loved the Noghri's as a species since The Thrawn Trilogy, but hated the way they where under-used in the stories after that.
They should have given the Noghri some more active roles in the stories while they where bodyguarding for Leia and not just to use them as cannon fodder.

I think the issue with their poor uses following the HTTE trilogy was that those authors just didn't know what to do with them, they didn't know how to handle them and make them the interesting characters (and species as a whole) because Zahn created them and made them so awesome.

The future book authors just couldn't manage to capture that magic again so the Noghri ultimately became throwaway characters, "extras" if you will.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

wookie_inked wrote:
The future book authors just couldn't manage to capture that magic again so the Noghri ultimately became throwaway characters, "extras" if you will.

All that potential awesomeness lost... sigh Sad

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 3 of 4