Attack of the Clones
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Attack of the Clones
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I've been putting this off for as long as possible, but I can't wait too much longer, lest I forget what I was going to say. I will be as nice as I possibly can, but then there's only so much mercy I can dish out. So, to the review:

First of all, let me just say that overall this movie is very dull. It doesn't lend us much of anything, and the entire things feels cheaply made. For a Star Wars movie, I was extremely disappointed. But I'll go into more detail with the Pros and Cons.

Pros:
1. The Clones. I was very impressed with the Clones, one of the only bits of the movie that really amazed me. The entire Kamino bit, minus the cafeteria scene, was great. I love the fins on their helmets. Smile
2. The Kaminoans. Those guys were the coolest! Got to be some of the coolest looking aliens in the saga.
3. The Younglings. I know there are those who find that scene stiff, but I really loved seeing the little guys swinging their lightsabers around at the remotes. Smile
4. Hayden Christensen's face. He had the perfect face for Anakin Skywalker, as he was extremely good at looking angry. His acting, on the other hand...I'll get to that later.
5. The speeder chase on Coruscant. I didn't like the entire thing, but overall it was pretty awesome.
6. The club. I liked seeing a different type of atmosphere...so the club was a good thing.
7. The Geonosis arena. Okay, as much as I don't like this movie, I absolutely love the Reek, Nexu, and Acklay. I wish I had my own Reek! This was another bit of story that we hadn't seen before. A gladiator arena type battle was pretty darn cool.
8. Jango Fett. Need I say more?
9. Daniel Logan as Boba. I really liked him, actually. I thought he did a great job, and he looked very much like Temuera Morrison.
10. Geonosian Speak. The clicks and clacks...cool stuff.
11. The seismic charges. Those things were so awesome. Smile
12. Yoda's Force and lightsaber skills as displayed against Dooku. Awesome! Very Happy

Okay, I've been very generous at finding this many Pros for the movie. Unforunately, there will be many more Cons.

Cons:
1. Hayden Christensen's acting. You knew it was coming. While I don't find his performance quite as haunting as I used to, it's still pretty bad. And while he's not monotone, he uses the same inflection for every sentence! This can get bothersome.
2. The decor inside any Coruscant building, and perhaps Naboo...I can't remember. It's so boring! Everything was blue! Honestly, there were times when I was younger that I was convinced they'd forgotten to fill in the blue screen background. Confused
3. The Fireplace Scene. No comment necessary.
4. Padmé's outfit while they're 'refugees'. Oh, yeah, she looked like your typical refugee in that outfit. Rolling Eyes
5. Anakin wielding two lightsabers. I'm sorry, but it was so built up as an awesome part of the movie, and then it lasted about 3 seconds. There should have been more choreography with the two lightsabers. As is, it's just disappointing.
6. The CGI. While it's pretty good overall, it's nothing like what we were presented in RotS. Most things just look not quite real. Which is as bad, if not worse, as looking very, very fake.
7. Obi-Wan's hair. Agh! This disgusts me in so many ways. Confused
8. Anakin's forwardness with Padmé. I don't know, but he was so...rude and ungentlemanly about it, that I can't believe she fell for him! I know she was supposed to, of course, but their romance should have been developed differently. Now it just makes me look at Padmé in disgust and think, "You honestly fell for that?!"
9. The way Padmé treated Anakin like a little lost puppy. He acted 3 years old half the time, and she just said, "Aw, come here little Annie. Let me make you feel better. *strokes his hair*" Or something odd like that. Weird.
10. That stupid button on Padmé's ship. She presses the same button twice, and these are unlabeled buttons, I might add, and it does two different things. I'll go ahead and point out that she presses the exact same button in RotS and it does something totally different for a third time! I'm sorry, but that was a pretty bad oversight, or cop-out. And as for the unlabeled buttons, even your everyday microwave has every button labeled.
11. I find it very hard to believe that the Jedi Council would have sent 200 Jedi (or however many it was) to save just Obi-Wan. They lost so many...surely they would have sensed the impending loss? If they knew there were that many droids, they shouldn't have gone. If they didn't, they wouldn't have sent so many Jedi. Confused
12. The pear. It's too fake, and too soft. Just...annoying.
13. The animals Anakin rides in the field. So...disturbingly odd looking. And once again fake.
14. Padmé's jump onto the Reek. There is no way a non-Jedi could have made that kind of jump without hurting something. Unless she was a gymnast or something...and I really don't think she was. Or did I miss that in her list of abilities?
15. The battle droid factory. The whole sequence was weird. Especially when Padmé dances with the Geonosian. I don't know, I just didn't like it.
16. Dialogue between Anakin and Padmé any time. Except for when they were by the waterfalls. I actually liked that exchange.
17. The fried decoy. I hate to be so heartless, but I have trouble taking that scene seriously when her hair is so frizzed! That's not really a Con, though.
18. The decoy's accent. When we first hear her on the ship, she sounds like Padmé. When she's dying on the landing pad, she has a pretty thick accent. Confused
19. Jango's death. I thought he would have been smarter. Period.
20. Obi-Wan's wounds seem too slight to have him permanently out of the fight like that.
21. For Size-Matters-Not Yoda, he sure seems to have some trouble with that tower thing. That's just always bothered me.
22. The name. Attack of the Clones? George has always been straightforward with his titles, but come on. First of all, that makes the Clones sound like bad guys. Second...it's just really bad. Confused

Anyway, I could continue, but I digress. To summarize, the movie really was pretty bad. See all the confused faces? I just couldn't figure out what was going through George's head. It's watchable, much more watchable for me than it used to be, but it could have been so much better. Sad

I'll have to watch it again before I can really soak it all in, figure out what I really like and dislike, but for now, that's my take on it.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Re: Attack of the Clones
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I always felt at the end they needed to span the galaxy and show campaigns like they showed Jedi everywhere die in ep 3. I fel tthe ending was just not all it COULD have been.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

The ending wasn't the problem. The Fireplace Scene was. Confused

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:

Yeah where's the narrative voice when we need it "And while anankin and Padme were away they fell deeply in love- trust me it was just too cheesy to show"

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yup, take out the fireplace, shorten the picknick scene, cut out or shorten the dex scene, then end it with snippets of various campaigns(just like the short snippets of order 66 coming to fruition).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Well, I was actually cool with the romance scenes up until there. I even though the meadow picnic was sweet. But the Fireplace killed any warm and fuzzy feelings I might have had. Confused

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, I was actually cool with the romance scenes up until there. I even though the meadow picnic was sweet. But the Fireplace killed any warm and fuzzy feelings I might have had. Confused

I liked the meadow scene for the conversation that had Anakin talking about one person wise making things how they should be. Early signs of megalomania.

Otherwise, it was still some corny stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

But still thought it was sweet. But, hey, I'm a girl. Very Happy Although even I admit that the shaak riding was a little much. No idea what they were trying to do there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, I was ridiculously harsh with my last viewing of this film. I just watched it again tonight, and I have to say it was ten times better than I remember it. Reading my previous post, it actually had me laughing. Some of those things I no longer agree with, and some of them I'm on the fence about. Overall, though, it's funny how far the other direction one's opinion can swing. I purposely did not read this until after I finished the movie, so I wouldn't have any biased ideas going into it. And really, I think that was the problem last time. I was expecting it to be horrible, and it was.

This time, however, I purposely told everyone in the room to refrain from commenting or laughing at anything they found negatively funny. We were going to watch this movie with clear minds and serious attitudes, and see what we thought about it then. Honestly, everyone agreed once it was over that we all liked it a lot better this time. So...I suggest everyone give it a try. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Quote:
12. The pear. It's too fake, and too soft. Just...annoying.
Haha thats why i love the seen in RCSW III where she was like "Rejected!" lol loved that one Smile and yea the fireplace seen was just..... 'sigh'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's crazy how you can change your mind so drastically on repeat viewings of movies. Take The Voyage of the Dawn Treader for example... Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Silence, Reep!!!!! Wink

I still like AotC better than TPM.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I don't have time to watch movies any more. At least, I can put them on but they would only be background noise. However, last time I used to watch AOTC, I'd stick it on...and then fall asleep. Only to wake up thirty minutes before the end. I tried to watch it again. But I fell asleep. Again. And again. Each time waking up for the last thirty minutes. Hmm.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

As poorly acted as the flirtation scenes between HC and NP were (they're painful to watch, especially that "truly deeply" dribble NOBODY TALKS LIKE THAT), I like AOTC. I usually chapter skip over some of those forced romance scenes on the DVD so I can enjoy everything else about Episode II.

And boy do I enjoy it! Battle of Geonosis lights my fire, every second from Windu's "This Party's Over" to Kenobi's "You Will Be Expelled From The Jedi Order!" is awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

For some reason, I just love this poster. As much as I dislike this movie, I cannot get enough of this poster.

I received a Star Wars poster calendar a few years ago, and I keep it permanently turned to this page hanging on my wall. Of course, I love all the Star Wars posters. Especially the Gone With the Wind ESB poster. But something about this one speaks volumes about the saga as a whole and what it's all about. In other words:

Say it's 1,000 years in the future, and our civilization has been wiped out in some way or another. As such, Star Wars has been utterly forgotten. Archaeologists of the future uncover this poster, and put it on display for all to see. And you know what? I would want to see this movie! There is just so much there. I can't even put it into words at the moment.

Granted, you could probably say that about all the posters. But I'm just saying. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 4