Log in to check your private messages
Revenge of the Sith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote  
Message
  wookie_inked
Knight
Knight

Joined: 13 Apr 2011
Posts: 397
Location: western NY

meh


ROTS is by far my least favorite prequel. The book was FAR better.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Queen Padmè Skywalker
Master
Master

Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 5158
Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Shocked Please do explain. RotS is my favorite prequel.
_________________
All things die, Anakin Skywalker, even stars burn out.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.



Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Reepicheep
Master
Master

Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 6847
Location: Sailing into the unknown

Really?! Shocked
_________________

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  wookie_inked
Knight
Knight

Joined: 13 Apr 2011
Posts: 397
Location: western NY

yes really


I'll type up a list of reasons I dislike the movie later if you really want to read it.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4770
Location: Korriban

Do it. I'd like to hear this one.
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Mara Jade Skywalker
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 15 Feb 2008
Posts: 5586
Location: Beyond Shadows

It must be April 1st. I can think of no other explanation.
_________________

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker



View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Queen Padmè Skywalker
Master
Master

Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 5158
Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

There can be no logical reasons for this...
_________________
All things die, Anakin Skywalker, even stars burn out.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.



Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  wookie_inked
Knight
Knight

Joined: 13 Apr 2011
Posts: 397
Location: western NY

what was wrong with Revenge of the Sith... a whole lot.

The space combat above Coruscant? Way too short. The stupid Buzz Droids got more screen time than the cruiser to cruiser battle. Lame. I'm sure it'll look amazing in 3-D in 2014 but they need to add like 10 minutes of dogfighting to make it truly cool. Geez we BARELY got to see what the ARC170 fighters and the Droid Tri-Fighters were capable of.

Dooku was completely wasted, like used snotty tissue. The 3-4 minute long "epic" duel between Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Tyrannus? It was put to shame by their hangar fight in AOTC. And the huge heavy catwalk that Saruman dropped on Kenobi's legs proves he must have mutant healing factor equal only to Wolverine and Sabertooth to not have been rendered parapalegic. Stupid. THE ONLY COOL PART of the scene was the sweet beheading of Dooku by two lightsabers, that was sweet. The rest of the scene was badly acted and badly paced.

"Let's go arrest the Chancellor"? WORST, most piss-poorly edited scene in the *entire* prequel trilogy. Christ, what a debacle that was. Three Jedi Masters got utterly punked, made to look like fools. Kolar and Tiin stood there like deer in headlights while they were cut down like sapling trees. It didn't prove the prowess or skill of Sidious, it just made those Jedi look like blind deaf retards. At least Kit Fisto lasted 3 seconds and got to TRY a defensive lightsaber move before drooling a death rattle and fainting. Oh and Palpatine's cartoony CGI "corkscrew" midair tumble looked worse than any of Jar Jar's acrobatics in TPM. (the performance of Ian McDiarmid in the scene was AMAZING good... his computer animated stuntman/double needed to be fired. Razz ) Mace BMFer Windu was the only saving grace to the Jedi's integrity in the scene even if it was ill-fated.

Grievous' threat level displayed in Tartatovsky's microseries was totally rendered null and void until he was out of his put out of his sad misery. I'm sorry but his role in ROTS was all bluster and smoke & mirrors, there wasn't anything imposing about him... Did he run and hide in the old animated series? Hell no. But he was always blowing hot air and turning tail throughout Episode 3. And his overrated non-scariness characterization is perfectly preserved in the current CW series, he's not the least bit respectable there either... I hope that Gungan in the season 4 trailer kicks his asthmatic ass. LOL

and Padme lost the will to live. LOST THE WILL TO LIVE!!! Are you kidding me? That's the silliest bad storytelling in all of G-level canon. It wasn't even a copout, it was something worse than a copout that I can't even find a word for. Absolutely STUPID. Talk about dropping the ball. People cannot die just because they don't feel like living anymore! Human beings would never have to resort to suicide if they could just give up breathing and travel to the afterlife. I've heard the apologist argument of it being a fable storytelling device, an allegory for the snuffing out of the last good left in the galaxy and all kinds rhetoric like that but it was really just bad writing. God, where was Irvin Kirshner to save ROTS from being as underwhelming as it was?




The novelization was stellar, truly awesome. The storyline of SITH is fantastic and the book proves it... the movie was just soooo much less than it should have been. Even Chewbacca, my favorite SW character ever, was just kinda thrown in there with very little significance in the grand scheme of the movie.

There was plenty of good about the movie. But it was outweighed by the bad IMO.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Mara Jade Skywalker
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 15 Feb 2008
Posts: 5586
Location: Beyond Shadows

wookie_inked wrote:
"Let's go arrest the Chancellor"? WORST, most piss-poorly edited scene in the *entire* prequel trilogy. Christ, what a debacle that was. Three Jedi Masters got utterly punked, made to look like fools. Kolar and Tiin stood there like deer in headlights while they were cut down like sapling trees. It didn't prove the prowess or skill of Sidious, it just made those Jedi look like blind deaf retards. At least Kit Fisto lasted 3 seconds and got to TRY a defensive lightsaber move before drooling a death rattle and fainting. Oh and Palpatine's cartoony CGI "corkscrew" midair tumble looked worse than any of Jar Jar's acrobatics in TPM. (the performance of Ian McDiarmid in the scene was AMAZING good... his computer animated stuntman/double needed to be fired. Razz ) Mace BMFer Windu was the only saving grace to the Jedi's integrity in the scene even if it was ill-fated.


Sir, as much as I disagree with you about RotS being the worst of the prequels, I will give you this 110%. I believe I was the only one on the boards prior to now who absolutely hated this scene. It was a disgrace! And there you have it. Neutral
_________________

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker



View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4770
Location: Korriban

Are you kidding!? I've complained about that scene for YEARS!!! I was so mad that they botched that so bad. And I agree that I hated the scripting of the "Lost the will to live" nonsense. It ticked me off. Hayden Christiansen didn't act well in that movie at all, but the last scenes were stellar once the fighting started. After the fights, it was kinda eh, but that was amazing. I agree that Dooku was wasted. The book was superb all the way through, but I liked the space battle. I agree there should have been more of it, but it was still good. Hopefully Lucas tries harder with the 3D releases.
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Mara Jade Skywalker
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 15 Feb 2008
Posts: 5586
Location: Beyond Shadows

Caedus_16 wrote:
Are you kidding!? I've complained about that scene for YEARS!!!


Sorry, Caedus, I apologize. I was generalizing, since I'm usually shot down when this debate begins. Several here seem to love that scene for some unknown reason. Wink
_________________

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker



View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4770
Location: Korriban

@Mara: I never understand when people like that scene. Several of my favorite masters just bend over and die without a fight. The book did it better.
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Queen Padmè Skywalker
Master
Master

Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 5158
Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Yeah.....the masters should have lasted a lot longer, I will agree there.
_________________
All things die, Anakin Skywalker, even stars burn out.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.



Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote  
Message
  VileZero
Master
Master

Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 816
Location: Maryland

Quote:
what was wrong with Revenge of the Sith... a whole lot.

The space combat above Coruscant? Way too short. The stupid Buzz Droids got more screen time than the cruiser to cruiser battle. Lame. I'm sure it'll look amazing in 3-D in 2014 but they need to add like 10 minutes of dogfighting to make it truly cool. Geez we BARELY got to see what the ARC170 fighters and the Droid Tri-Fighters were capable of.


Completely agreed. I was watching Return of the Jedi the other day, and was blown away by how much I enjoyed the dogfights. This movie really missed a great opening in that regard. Buzzdroids suck.

Quote:
Dooku was completely wasted, like used snotty tissue. The 3-4 minute long "epic" duel between Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Tyrannus? It was put to shame by their hangar fight in AOTC. And the huge heavy catwalk that Saruman dropped on Kenobi's legs proves he must have mutant healing factor equal only to Wolverine and Sabertooth to not have been rendered parapalegic. Stupid. THE ONLY COOL PART of the scene was the sweet beheading of Dooku by two lightsabers, that was sweet. The rest of the scene was badly acted and badly paced.


Again, agreed. But in my defense, I hated Dooku since he first was revealed. Really? An old Sith? Christopher Lee is a lot of things, but awesome Sith was not one of them. He had to follow Sith like Darth Maul and Darth Vader, two hella awesome looking visual Sith. And then we get... Darth Gramps. I was glad he got killed so early.

Quote:
"Let's go arrest the Chancellor"? WORST, most piss-poorly edited scene in the *entire* prequel trilogy. Christ, what a debacle that was. Three Jedi Masters got utterly punked, made to look like fools. Kolar and Tiin stood there like deer in headlights while they were cut down like sapling trees. It didn't prove the prowess or skill of Sidious, it just made those Jedi look like blind deaf retards. At least Kit Fisto lasted 3 seconds and got to TRY a defensive lightsaber move before drooling a death rattle and fainting. Oh and Palpatine's cartoony CGI "corkscrew" midair tumble looked worse than any of Jar Jar's acrobatics in TPM. (the performance of Ian McDiarmid in the scene was AMAZING good... his computer animated stuntman/double needed to be fired. Razz ) Mace BMFer Windu was the only saving grace to the Jedi's integrity in the scene even if it was ill-fated.


I enjoyed the initial confrontation, but this is my least favorite battle in the movies. Even the duel between Windu and Palpatine is poorly choreographed.

Quote:
Grievous' threat level displayed in Tartatovsky's microseries was totally rendered null and void until he was out of his put out of his sad misery. I'm sorry but his role in ROTS was all bluster and smoke & mirrors, there wasn't anything imposing about him... Did he run and hide in the old animated series? Hell no. But he was always blowing hot air and turning tail throughout Episode 3. And his overrated non-scariness characterization is perfectly preserved in the current CW series, he's not the least bit respectable there either... I hope that Gungan in the season 4 trailer kicks his asthmatic ass. LOL


RIP cool Grievous. I was shocked at his portrayal in this flick too...

Quote:
and Padme lost the will to live. LOST THE WILL TO LIVE!!! Are you kidding me? That's the silliest bad storytelling in all of G-level canon. It wasn't even a copout, it was something worse than a copout that I can't even find a word for. Absolutely STUPID. Talk about dropping the ball. People cannot die just because they don't feel like living anymore! Human beings would never have to resort to suicide if they could just give up breathing and travel to the afterlife. I've heard the apologist argument of it being a fable storytelling device, an allegory for the snuffing out of the last good left in the galaxy and all kinds rhetoric like that but it was really just bad writing. God, where was Irvin Kirshner to save ROTS from being as underwhelming as it was?


Oh yeah, dumbest logic twist in the movie. Anakin should have just accidentally killed her. Would have made way more sense, but I guess Lucas didn't want to get too dark.

I'm actually surprised you didn't mention the part about RotS that I hate the most: the final duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin. No matter how many times I watch it... it just isn't that good. And clearly, we miss entire portions as the movie switches back and forth between their duel and the Yoda/Palpatine duel. I realized that on my second or third viewing at the movies, and didn't like it at all. It just wasn't insane enough on the choreography. I think it says something when fans still point to the Darth Maul three-way duel as the highlight duel in the movies.

I mean, RotS is still a great flick and it definitely tugs at the heartstrings. I'd never fall asleep to it like I have done to TPM and its longggggggg podracing scene. But you know which flick gets better with age, I think? Attack of the Clones.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:09 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Life Is The Path
Master
Master

Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 3899
Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Oh, we've all got those complaints. I just feel that ROTS overcomes them. Besides, I've a few theories on why those things happened.

While they certainly missed out on an epic oppurtunity to show a larger fight, that wasn't really the point of the scene. The point was Anakin and Obi-Wan's dash through it all to get to the Chancellor.

Again, Dooku wasn't really the focus of the movie. Yes, I like Dooku so I'm always happy for some Dooku action, but it wasn't about him. He was, always was, a pawn. But a gentlemanly pawn at that. What other Sith bows and salutes before tearing you to pieces?

The Palpatine fight certainly isn't its best moment, but I'm a fan of the fan-made reason behind why the Jedi didn't react as fast as they normally would. That scream we hear from Palpatine as he lunges at them was a Force Scream, something that stuns their opponents, giving him vital moments to cut them down.

As to the Padme scene, this is something I actually have no problem with whatsoever. I prescribe to my own idea that she died from Broken Heart Syndrome. Wiki it. People really do keel over and die just because they feel like it. It's not something they can snap out of, stop of their own accord, and it's something, I feel, that a droid, cold and technically minded, would not be entirely knowledgeable with. Besides, it was a mining post medical droid. It can hardly be expected to be be the best.
_________________
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.


View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 2 of 3
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Display posts from previous:

  

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights 2 by Scott Stubblefield