Han Solo - A Ruined Character?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Don't worry Wookie, I liked it to

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I really liked Han in Dark Empire and DE II, I think Tom Veitch wrote Mr Solo VERY well. IMO all of the panels of those comics with him and Chewie I could easily hear Harrison Ford (or Perry King whom I really enjoy as Han) delivering Veitch's dialogue.

P.S. Greedo shot first. The change in that scene doesn't affect how I view Han Solo at all, his character integrity was still intact in my mind.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Caedus_16 wrote:
Don't worry Wookie, I liked it to

oooh so there's 2 of us in the world that liked that book!

and here I thought I was all alone in that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ok confession - I have not read courtship of princess Leia. Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

wookie_inked wrote:
I liked the Courtship of Princess Leia

<crickets>

Han Solo was used well in that book...

I love CoPL! It's my favorite Star Wars book! And now everyone burns me at the stake.

I know most of the Cantina members have heard this story before, but CoPL was my first Star Wars book. Back before I was much of a fan, my mom bought it for me at a garage sale. She was under the impression that I was a major fan (not really sure why, other than that I had some Star Wars Legos), so she thought I'd enjoy it. The book was in terrible shape, half the back cover was missing, and I wasn't really interested. But...! I decided to read it anyway, because I didn't realize there were such things as Star Wars books.

Funny thing, CoPL is a great place to start, since it's only two books after RotJ. Let's just say that I began my Star Wars journey with The Courtship of Princess Leia and never looked back. I enjoyed that book more than you can possibly imagine, and I've read it more than any other. The humor was hilarious! I can quote whole pages of Han and Leia dialogue. Smile

So it could simply be that I'm partial to this book, it being my first experience of Star Wars EU...but I still enjoy it now as much as I used to. Agreed with Wookiee, it's definitely the best portrayal of Han.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I rather like CoPL. The only thing I can't stand about it is Luke's portrayal. Han and Leia, however, are priceless.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

comanderbly wrote:

read it

Even if you don't enjoy it like Mara, Caedus, and I did, I think it's fairly critical reading especially if you want to follow the story of Leia and Han's long and winding road to the altar of matrimony. And it's story of Tenel Ka's parents and the granduer that is the Hapan way of life. Plus it was the introduction of the Witches of Dathomir to the EU, the first ever appearance of that wicked cool planet to the Star Wars mythos.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
wookie_inked wrote:
I liked Han Solo's character evolution through the 3 movies, it worked for me.

While I can't speak for Vile- I too found it worked, but had Han shot first it would have been more profound for his character.

I say this in the sense of not knowing him and right away we see he will MURDER someone to save his own skin- come movie's end he turns back and takes himself, his ship and Chewie back into the fight instead of running and saving his skin- this to me was a profound character growth moment.

But when the scene changes it changed how I'm to look at Han from that scene. Now I see he's a regular guy hard up on his luck with people trying to kill him. He will do what it takes but nobly.

So at the end of the movie- I would EXPECT him to turn back- cause it's the RIGHT thing to do. There is less character growth in the scene now because he's already been established as a "good guy" the only thing we have now to prove Han takes care of himself- is Luke stating his opinion as fact- it WAS FACT BEFORE. Now it is just a character's POV with little to reference it to for the viewer. Yes it worked, and no it didn't take too much away from Han that the other 2 films show us something else.

But I do think that my impression of Han based off that scene varies significantly.

Now as to Mal- he was a very religious man at the start of the show. But the loss to the Alliance in Serenity Valley took that away from him. He only looks to a few things- himself, his ship, and his crew. Anything get in the way of that or threaten that and he will kill it. But he's the scoundrel with a heart of gold. So unlike Han Malcom is a character who struggles with his good self pretending to be bad- which I always felt was very much like young Han portrayed by the EU.

Thanks for this, Rogue! I knew that the change didn't sit well with me, but I couldn't pin it down. And now, when someone argues the toss, I can quote this post!

Ok I have to agree with FotJ, but I'm not so sure about LotF, I've found his character to be great in the scenes he's in

Really? Are you sure? Because, while I thought Han was pretty good, I feel I must point out the moment when he shot Sal-Solo's corpse. I didn't like that. That was one of the things which really jarred me.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

I love CoPL! It's my favorite Star Wars book! And now everyone burns me at the stake.

Yes, I am. *Gathers firewood*

CoPL was a pretty good read, especially the Witches, but enough to be a favourite? Hmm. I'm hoping you mean that because of emotional attachment, and not through technical skill or good plot.

*Gets flamethrower*
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

wookie_inked wrote:
comanderbly wrote:

read it

Even if you don't enjoy it like Mara, Caedus, and I did, I think it's fairly critical reading especially if you want to follow the story of Leia and Han's long and winding road to the altar of matrimony. And it's story of Tenel Ka's parents and the granduer that is the Hapan way of life. Plus it was the introduction of the Witches of Dathomir to the EU, the first ever appearance of that wicked cool planet to the Star Wars mythos.

OK This is getting a strong endorsement. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="Life Is The Path"]
illogicalRogue2 wrote:

Ok I have to agree with FotJ, but I'm not so sure about LotF, I've found his character to be great in the scenes he's in

Really? Are you sure? Because, while I thought Han was pretty good, I feel I must point out the moment when he shot Sal-Solo's corpse. I didn't like that. That was one of the things which really jarred me.

Oh really?! See that is still one of my favorite scenes. The fact that Han was reluctant to do it to family yet was doing to protect family was part of the intrigue for me. I'm dying to see that scene in an image!

Han in Mando'ade gear with Mirta and Fett all over Sal-Solo. EPIC!

But then I've long felt Han needed to gun Sal-Solo in the back for his actions. Laughing

I think I was just upset Han let Fett do the work.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

comanderbly wrote:
wookie_inked wrote:
comanderbly wrote:

read it

OK This is getting a strong endorsement. Smile

yes yes it is Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

wookie_inked wrote:
comanderbly wrote:

read it

Plus if you're like me and a fan of Han getting tortured in books- he really has a great scene in this one!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Plus, there are lots of rancors.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote  

First off, I'm one of the people who watched the movie Serenity and thought to myself afterwards, "Isn't this a tv show?" And then I watched the entire series. Loved the whole thing.

That said, never once in all of the shows or the film did I think Mal was Han Solo. When I think of the characters, I personally do not connect them as being related. Nor do I see Mal as being the better version of Han. However, there are similarities between Han and Mal now that I think about it. Both had a military background, both captain a ship. Yet Han had only one partner, Chewbacca, and he got into a serious relationship with Leia. Plus he found a cause and joined it wholeheartedly.

Mal, on the other hand, started with a cause and fell out of it. He has a crew, and he has a responsibility to his crew. The longer we know him, the dicier things get for him. In a way, he's kind of like Han Solo when everything goes wrong. He left the military and never found the Alliance. He never scored the princess. No kids, no Jedi ties. No hero status. Just a person trying to get by.

But that's not what happened to Han Solo, and it's not what was meant to happen to Han, nor was it the fate that should have happened to Han. Han Solo is not a grim character in a grim world. Han Solo is the ordinary guy that's just a little shady, who gets the opportunity to be someone better and pulls it off most of the time. He gives people hope. He's a winner.

Mal just breaks even.

For me, Han Solo is an iconic character, and though he has been written by a lot of authors in a lot of ways, I still like his character overall. If you put Han Solo against Mal, I'll choose neither one. They are two completely different characters, two completely different stories. I enjoy them both equally.

Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 4 of 5