Han Solo - A Ruined Character?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

what he said

my thoughts exactly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:
First off, I'm one of the people who watched the movie Serenity and thought to myself afterwards, "Isn't this a tv show?" And then I watched the entire series. Loved the whole thing.

That said, never once in all of the shows or the film did I think Mal was Han Solo.
Very Happy

I'm betting the direction you watched it impacted your thoughts- see the scene in the Serenity episode where Mal walks onto the ship and shoots the cop while holding Kaylee..... that was (to me) so Han Solo.

But you do bring up some great points. Like Mal isn't really a pilot. He was more a leader then Han who was a solo artist.

But I did always see Han as a grim character- he was the pessimist of the group. lol

And yes Mal does just break even- I felt that was where his and Hans growth shifts from each other- Joss was trying to show Mal needed to get his faith back- which isn't even something we ever see Han deal with. Cause it was never a part to Han's growth like Mal. (But the end of the day Mal was created in the image of Han to a degree. Part of why I love Joss Whedon's stuff. Man loves SW)

Quote:
For me, Han Solo is an iconic character, and though he has been written by a lot of authors in a lot of ways, I still like his character overall. If you put Han Solo against Mal, I'll choose neither one. They are two completely different characters, two completely different stories. I enjoy them both equally.

Well said!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
For me, Han Solo is an iconic character, and though he has been written by a lot of authors in a lot of ways, I still like his character overall. If you put Han Solo against Mal, I'll choose neither one. They are two completely different characters, two completely different stories. I enjoy them both equally.

Well put DS, thats spot on. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

[quote="illogicalRogue2"]
Life Is The Path wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:

Ok I have to agree with FotJ, but I'm not so sure about LotF, I've found his character to be great in the scenes he's in

Really? Are you sure? Because, while I thought Han was pretty good, I feel I must point out the moment when he shot Sal-Solo's corpse. I didn't like that. That was one of the things which really jarred me.

Oh really?! See that is still one of my favorite scenes. The fact that Han was reluctant to do it to family yet was doing to protect family was part of the intrigue for me. I'm dying to see that scene in an image!

Han in Mando'ade gear with Mirta and Fett all over Sal-Solo. EPIC!

But then I've long felt Han needed to gun Sal-Solo in the back for his actions. Laughing

I think I was just upset Han let Fett do the work.

Agreed. Han in Mando gear was cool, but I'm still going to have to disagree with you. I get why Han did it, and I'm okay with that. I'd probably do the same. What I didn't like was Han shooting an already dead body. It just seemed lame and impotent.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:01 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:
What I didn't like was Han shooting an already dead body. It just seemed lame and impotent.

I feel ya on that bit. I mean on the on e hand I get why it happened after he died. Han's saved the reality of having a more solid hand in families death- but you're right- by dodging that bullet they did create a rather unusual scene.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think shooting his dead cousin's body was just disrespectful. Ok, perhaps Sal-Solo had to go. But when Han thought like that, he should have done it himself then, have enough guts. And show some respect afterwards.

Considering what happened afterwards, that Han then got angry for Jacen killing Fett's daughter, is absurd. You go and participate in the murder of your own cousin and then got angry because your son - brutally, but not intentionally, it was manslaughter, not murder - kills the assassin your cousin had hired?

And when Han approves the murder of his own son by his daughter's hand, I think it's clear that his moral compass had been lost. Not just in Bloodlines and after it.

More like somewhere between TSW and Betrayal, considering his and Leia's part in the Corellian attack against GA forces.

Both Han and Leia were eager to blaim Jacen and didn't look at his reasons to act like he did, nor did they try to help him, but what makes it worse is that they never stopped to look what they were doing themselves, betraying government they helped to create, changing sides again and again, condemning their son to death and allowing their daughter to become the murderer of her own brother.

Considering the accusations against Tahiri, it's funny that Han and Leia's activities in LotF haven't been touched at any way. Because when it comes to them, it's a solid case of high treason.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

There is a point in Bloodlines where Han actually lost something. It's here:

Han scanned the screen, expecting to see Jacen injured or attacked, and then saw his son, his little boy who had always had a soft heart and who could feel pain for others, directing soldiers into buildings to drag out Corellians.

I think something broke inside him and he didn't have time to recover when he shot Sal-Solo's corpse.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I may get flamed for this however I don't think since the movies has Han been written well. I think due to the acting skills of Harrison Ford did that character really shine.
The way I feel it is that Han has kind of lost his way in the written galaxy. We are looking at alien invasions, body snatchers, warlords, sith, dying friends and family, a wife who ruled the senate then became a jedi and Boba Fett who just pops in for some blue milk.

The only "emotional" response Han has showed was when Chewie died. He ran away to collect himself etc and it did show a selfish side there. I don't think any writer thus far as got their finger on the pulse of such a cool character.

It short comic stories there is that humour and adventure but in novels he kinda looses out to the big guns. It seems nearly everyone has the force or is a ruling body in politics.
Han just seems to be able to fly the Falcon better each novel.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dark_Sol wrote:
I may get flamed for this however I don't think since the movies has Han been written well. I think due to the acting skills of Harrison Ford did that character really shine.
The way I feel it is that Han has kind of lost his way in the written galaxy. We are looking at alien invasions, body snatchers, warlords, sith, dying friends and family, a wife who ruled the senate then became a jedi and Boba Fett who just pops in for some blue milk.

The only "emotional" response Han has showed was when Chewie died. He ran away to collect himself etc and it did show a selfish side there. I don't think any writer thus far as got their finger on the pulse of such a cool character.

It short comic stories there is that humour and adventure but in novels he kinda looses out to the big guns. It seems nearly everyone has the force or is a ruling body in politics.
Han just seems to be able to fly the Falcon better each novel.

For me its been hit and miss regarding Han in the EU. He was his wild impetuous self in the Courtship of Princess Leia when he kidnapped her and he really suffered in the NJO losing two people very close to him but with the second loss he supported Leia as a good husband should.

He changed during the movies going from a selfish one dimensional character in ANH to one willing to give up his prize possession in Jedi when he hands his ship back to Lando. He was also willing to step aside from Luke and Leia in Jedi too.

Hes in his seventies during the FOTJ series so he really shouldnt be as good a pilot as he was during the trilogy. He would still be a great pilot but surely his reflexes wouldnt be as quick.

Ive also found in the EU that sometimes hes in a scene just for the sake of it. Hes just there, makes an occasional comment but takes a back seat. He hasnt been written with any real depth and he deserves a lot better.

A lot of fans expect Han to be almost the same in these later books then he was in the movies but he couldnt be. He is married, had three kids, lost two and saw his best friend die. He got older and occasionally his rogue's grin shines through but hes a different Han through his life experiences since the films. I just wish he would be written with a bit more depth in certain situations and not there just to have Han Solo in a scene.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 5 of 5