Abeloth
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abeloth
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Abeloth is something new to us but very old to the Galaxy. What is she? How powerful do you think she is, and will become? What is her goal? To me she is not to be underestimated. I beleive that she is a Celestial, and that she is very powerful. As an EU fan and a fan of other Force users in the EU I think she puts those of Mortis to shame. Look at what she can do. Not only is she able to attack in the physical world, she can attack in the spiritual world as well. She is very cunning. When is the last time we saw the Sith used as puppets by another Dark Force user? She seems to dislike both Jedi and Sith, and seems above them in power. What are your thoughts on this awesome new character Abeloth? Twisted Evil

-YOU REBEL SCUM!
-Through victory my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Using the Lost Tribe terminology, I'll use just a word to describe her: Destroyer.

From that point on, I suppose it's quite simple to understand why she doesn't like Sith or Jedi. Or any other being for the matter...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Honestly I hate the character. Star Wars has always been about people. Throwing in a massively powerful and seemingly immortal character like that just doesn't feel like Star Wars to me. I was fine with her as a means to an end, such as creating the conflict between the Jedi and Dalaa via the crazy young jedis and even to bring the Jedi and Sith together. But that should have been the end of it, she really should have died at the end of Allies.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Nedara wrote:
Using the Lost Tribe terminology, I'll use just a word to describe her: Destroyer.

From that point on, I suppose it's quite simple to understand why she doesn't like Sith or Jedi. Or any other being for the matter...

Yes this is true. What do you think her motives are for destroying the Jedi and Sith? Galactic Rule? Total Galactic destruction?

-YOU REBEL SCUM!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Werehunter wrote:
Honestly I hate the character. Star Wars has always been about people. Throwing in a massively powerful and seemingly immortal character like that just doesn't feel like Star Wars to me. I was fine with her as a means to an end, such as creating the conflict between the Jedi and Dalaa via the crazy young jedis and even to bring the Jedi and Sith together. But that should have been the end of it, she really should have died at the end of Allies.

While I do understand what you mean and how you feel, Star Wars has always been this way. Think about how the Galaxy felt when confronting Vader or Palpatine. On the other hand Luke has become more powerful than we can possibly imagine and there has to be a threat to him introduced. I also think that the only Lost Tribe Sith to fully become an ally will be Vestara. Ben's future wife. I love Abeloth because she is neither Jedi or Sith and she's a different Force user. I'm personally tierd of Star Wars being mostly Jedi and Sith. It's good to have new/old Force users show up.

-YOU REBEL SCUM!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

EMPIRE622 wrote:
Yes this is true. What do you think her motives are for destroying the Jedi and Sith? Galactic Rule? Total Galactic destruction?

I think it's her nature. Remember Destroyers just want people become almost animals again. Any cultural or technical development go against her. I doubt she would need a bigger motive. Sentient beings are just like food to her.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I have no problem with new force users being brought in. I just think nigh unbeatable time immortal character isn't the way to do it. Have more groups like the Lost Tribe out there, but don't have them by Sith or Jedi. Just a group that learned to access the force on their own.

As for your Vader/Palpatine comparison, I have to disagree. Sure they were powerful, but their greatest strength wasn't their force power but rather the Empire itself. Vader would have been far less without the 501st and Palpatine didn't gain power by use of the force by via the government. With them it was never about how powerful they were in the Force, despite being power, but rather everything else they had access to. Even in the first movie, High Ranking Military officers had little respect for Vader's power in the force. They however feared Tarkin's political and military might.

Aleboth however is basically nothing but a powerful mystical creature. That to me takes away from what makes Star Wars what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Nedara wrote:
EMPIRE622 wrote:

I think it's her nature. Remember Destroyers just want people become almost animals again. Any cultural or technical development go against her. I doubt she would need a bigger motive. Sentient beings are just like food to her.

Yes make all sentients resort to being primitive. See the Celestials did scare some sentients into being primitive again. I want Abeloth to be a Celestial so bad because maybe we can learn more about them and that time in the Galaxy. On a side note, the Essential Guide to Warfare is going to have a part about the Celestials and the Rakatan Empire fighting. I think that may be one reason they pushed it back to 2012, so it wouldn't spoil any of Abeloth's story. I know Del-Rey said it was pushed due to the publishing calendar and I may be jumping the gun but hey it's just a thought.

-YOU REBEL SCUM!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Werehunter wrote:
I have no problem with new force users being brought in. I just think nigh unbeatable time immortal character isn't the way to do it. Have more groups like the Lost Tribe out there, but don't have them by Sith or Jedi. Just a group that learned to access the force on their own.

As for your Vader/Palpatine comparison, I have to disagree. Sure they were powerful, but their greatest strength wasn't their force power but rather the Empire itself. Vader would have been far less without the 501st and Palpatine didn't gain power by use of the force by via the government. With them it was never about how powerful they were in the Force, despite being power, but rather everything else they had access to. Even in the first movie, High Ranking Military officers had little respect for Vader's power in the force. They however feared Tarkin's political and military might.

Aleboth however is basically nothing but a powerful mystical creature. That to me takes away from what makes Star Wars what it is.

I hear you. I do however like seemingly immortal characters. Having them gives Star Wars even more Mythology elements. Like those of Mortis, Abeloth can be destroyed. It's safe to say so because we have the Legacy comic arc. Wink

-YOU REBEL SCUM!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I doubt she will be destroyed. Trapped again, maybe, but not destroyed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote  

I like Abeloth and I think she's a nice, refreshing villain. First off she's mysterious, and secondly she has a mythological feel to her. Mythology has always been a strong point in Star Wars. At its very core, Star Wars is a sci-fi mythology. And she is also not the first ancient near immortal character we've seen. Many will groan, but Waru fits the bill (and he was never destroyed either). There was also the Silentium in the Adventures of Lando books. Plus numerous Sith spirits like Exar Kun striking at Jedi from beyond the grave.

Now with what we know about Abeloth, she's not necessarily immortal, and it isn't extremely odd to have a species with a long life span. Anzati can supposedly live forever as well (unless someone kills them).

I think overall she fits into the Star Wars mold. And it's nice to have a threat that isn't a Sith.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I like Abeloth and I think she's a nice, refreshing villain. First off she's mysterious, and secondly she has a mythological feel to her. Mythology has always been a strong point in Star Wars. At its very core, Star Wars is a sci-fi mythology. And she is also not the first ancient near immortal character we've seen. Many will groan, but Waru fits the bill (and he was never destroyed either). There was also the Silentium in the Adventures of Lando books. Plus numerous Sith spirits like Exar Kun striking at Jedi from beyond the grave.

Now with what we know about Abeloth, she's not necessarily immortal, and it isn't extremely odd to have a species with a long life span. Anzati can supposedly live forever as well (unless someone kills them).

I think overall she fits into the Star Wars mold. And it's nice to have a threat that isn't a Sith.

Yeeeessss! Very Happy

-YOU REBEL SCUM!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Nedara wrote:
I doubt she will be destroyed. Trapped again, maybe, but not destroyed.

Maybe so. One theory I have is that Luke will become one with the Force to take her out, but again just a thought.

-YOU REBEL SCUM!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

It's too soon. Luke will only die when Ben will be in position to become Grand Master.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Nedara wrote:
It's too soon. Luke will only die when Ben will be in position to become Grand Master.

Maybe but I disagree. Not that I believe Luke is going to die in this series, but I don't think his death will be held up for Ben's promotion. Luke had to grow as a Jedi practically without anyone. So can Ben. More growing as a Jedi yes, but he can do it without daddy. Luke did it even though both his masters died.

-YOU REBEL SCUM!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 1 of 8