Ben Skywalker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

i like Ben, oh and on his eyes they are probably both green and blue, they just switch form time to time (i'm a red head and my eyes are the same way), and him and Vestara..... i don't know, i think they will be together but i don't think it will last, it's hard to say. oh and him be shoe in to be grandmaster, i think he will, he has potential

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

What special training? We certainly haven't seen anything that suggests Ben has been receiving special training. At the most we have Luke telling him that he'll be one future Jedi will be looking towards, which may be nothing more then a father's hope for his son or a realization that as his son, there will be people looking towards Ben just like some looked at Jania, Jacen and Anakin because their parents were famous.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Werehunter wrote:
Why is Ben a shoe in to be Grandmaster? Right now he has shown very little leadership skills and has been manipulated several times. Granted he's still young so I won't say there's no chance but other then him being Luke's son, there's no reason anyone would be suggesting he should be Grandmaster one day. Just because someone is powerful in the Force doesn't mean they should be in charge. If that was the case, Kyp should be running things. They've often stated that Kyp is more powerful then Luke.

Ah but there's more than just power, my friend. There's also a little thing called wisdom and that is something that Kyp is sorely lacking. To be honest I couldn't really see anyone in the Order being ready to take on the role.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I wasn't saying Kyp should be in charge. Just that the only thing Ben seems to have is he comes from a powerful family. He hasn't shown anything else that suggest he one day should become Grandmaster. The sole reason people are even talking about it is because of who is father is and that's it. And I personally would find it creatively boring for the writers and editors and move him to that position just because of some sort of Birthright.

And Nedara, I've never read Star Wars Legacy so I have no clue what they were waiting on Cade for. I only know the broad strokes of that series. But if so, that only proves that setting the position up as a birthright is foolish on the part of the Jedi.

Granted I also think the basic premise of that comic series to be a mistake. They set it too close to the post movie books and kept the same basic conflict instead of trying to expand the universe. But that seems to be for another thread.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm pretty sure that lil' Ben will become a Grand Master one day, if the stories ever progress that far. After all, he's DR's baby and favourite and there is absolutely no one else among the existing characters that could take that role after the current old guard passes away.

Allana is a prisoner of the Hapan heir&Jedi Queen vision -things, all the younger Jedi characters are either very minor supporting characters or barely more than names. So it's Boy Wonder, because there is no one else and because Luke in FotJ has already decided that Ben will a Grand Master one day.

The only thing that might block's Ben's road to his hereditary throne is that the two Republic&Legacy Jedi come crawling from their hiding holes to take over...

But before that happens, I think that Kyp would be a worthy Grand Master... Or at least a regent until the young master Ben is ready to ascend to that position. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

All this talk of Ben becoming Grand Master because of the hereditary thing has severely put me off the thought of him ever being Grand Master. Luckily, I'm of the opinion that Ben might think the same way, and so refuse the honour. If this does happen, then it would certainly be a great opportunity to give the minor characters more air time, too. Besides, there are still a few of the older members to step in should Luke die.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'm seriously put off by the title "Grand Master" to begin with. Confused

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Why because it reminds you of chess?

@Werehunter: Man, how did I not get that? Sorry about that, I was speed reading. Embarassed

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I don't know, I guess it bugged me that it's even a title. Like one person's in charge of the entire Order. I know Yoda basically was in the Old Order, but even he didn't have a bright shiny special name for himself.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I though Yoda (or Mace Windu... I never did get that figured out) was the Grand Master of the Old Order also.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hmmm, maybe I'm wrong....I always thought there was no official Grand Master title in the Old Order. But I could well be mistaken.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I've only read a small number of books that take place during that era, but I don't think they had a Grandmaster at all.

I understand the in story reason for having Luke create the title during the Dark Nest books, but I do think having one is a bad idea. But then again so did Luke when he created it, he just felt there was no other choice. I do hope that the title is phased out at the end of Fate of the Jedi, for the current books point out a flaw in the title. Either someone has the title and has to make choices that come with it, or there is no title and the council as a whole make the choices. You can't have the title and demand the entire council be informed of everything that happens or the title is meaningless. Yet having the title makes those outside the order think that person is the one that makes the final choices, which is why Kenth was told to keep things to himself about the deal he made.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Yoda was the Grand Master. He said he was in one of the old TCW novels. Dark Rendezvous, I think.

@Werehunter: We like it or not, Luke is training Ben to be the next Grand Master. He thought about it in Abyss. I'm just not going to post the same quote again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Which, as I said before, may be nothing more then a father's hope for his son. Right now Ben has shown nothing that suggests he should be Grandmaster one day. Out of all the Jedi, the only one I would suggest is one Lucas has put on hold, Lowbacca. When he was used, I always found him to be rather wise and powerful in the force.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Nedara wrote:
Yoda was the Grand Master. He said he was in one of the old TCW novels. Dark Rendezvous, I think.

@Werehunter: We like it or not, Luke is training Ben to be the next Grand Master. He thought about it in Abyss. I'm just not going to post the same quote again.

I've only read Dark Rendezvous once, so you're probably right. But it's not movie canon, at any rate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 4 of 6