Ben Skywalker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

We have other Grand Masters from the Old Jedi Order like Zym, Satele Shan and Fae Coven.

The Skywalker Legacy
 PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:29 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I really like Ben, he had to grow up fast with the Yuuzhan Vong War, and then with the transformation of Jacen. His time training with the CSF, combined with his mother's genetics, and his father's natural insight has allowed him to become an exceptional young man. Vestari is a perfect match for Ben, following nicely in his father's footsteps when it comes to soul mates, and I truly believe that this destiny will come to fruition. Hopefully Ben will survive long enough to be a major part of his little cousin's future Jedi High Council, Vestari will almost definately be a major Master on the council following in her deceased Step Mother's footsteps..............Mara you are missed darlin but never forgotten.

Oya Manda.......

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Werehunter wrote:
Right now Ben has shown nothing that suggests he should be Grandmaster one day.

What did Corran show before he was put in charge after Mara's death? That he could be manipulated by Omas? Ben is learning how to aviod such situation with Vestara.

What did Hamner show before he was made acting Grand Master? He would obey the government blindly? Ben has show once and again he can make right decisions on his own.

What did Saba show before she become Hamner's successor? That she was very experienced? Well, Ben is having a lot of experience in this journey and he is only 17. In fact, he've passed through more in 17 years than most of Master at 40. I bet he'll be a Master before he'll be 25.

Allana's destiny
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Nedara you are bang on, except for one point; Allana will be the future GrandMaster. Can't wait to see a pack of Nexu sitting around her golden throne on Hapes........

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Nedara wrote:
Werehunter wrote:
Right now Ben has shown nothing that suggests he should be Grandmaster one day.

What did Corran show before he was put in charge after Mara's death? That he could be manipulated by Omas? Ben is learning how to aviod such situation with Vestara.

What did Hamner show before he was made acting Grand Master? He would obey the government blindly? Ben has show once and again he can make right decisions on his own.

What did Saba show before she become Hamner's successor? That she was very experienced? Well, Ben is having a lot of experience in this journey and he is only 17. In fact, he've passed through more in 17 years than most of Master at 40. I bet he'll be a Master before he'll be 25.

Let's see, Corran before being put in charge, and honestly I'd argue against that statement but that's for another time, had spent several years as one of the leaders of an elite squadron. Plus had been placed in charge of several teams of jedis over the years. At times he not only lead missions, but planned them as well. In addition he had been running the Corellia Jedi Academy before it was emptied because of the war. Let's not forget his time in CorSec either, while he wasn't in charge he did experience of a view of things that very few Jedi do.

Hammer had also worked in leadership capabilities and was the point person when to came to the Jedi working with the New Republic. He was the go to person when things needed to smoothed out between the government and the Jedi because he could work well with both. Something that was needed when Luke was exiled.

Saba had trained several Jedi before she had even meet Luke or became a master. She created and lead the Wild Knights during the Vong war, and no one questioned the actions she took with them. While Luke hated the choices Kyp made with Kyp's Dozen, he ever complained about the Wild Knights. Even as a Jedi Knight, her wisdom and experienced were valued enough to place on the Council before a great many Jedi Masters.

All three had shown great leadership skills before they got placed in charge. Ben so far has shown very little.

And while Ben has been through a lot, little of it suggests any leadership skills. Usually he was following someone else in battle and when he was placed in charge his judgment was often corrected by the more experienced members of his team. And let's not forget him telling Jacen to target Wookiee cities rather then the forests. To me that's the large red flag for him even being put on the Council. His judgment was so clouded by vengeance that he was willing to let hundred of thousands die just so he could get close to his target. It's one thing to let someone make a choice that helps you but might be harmful to him, but it's another to actively suggest the targeting of innocent civilians in such a manner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

As much as I like Saba, I don't think it would be a good decision to make her the permanent Grand Master. It makes sense they would need someone with her passion right now to get the Jedi out of the mud, but in the future they would need someone more... level.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

And a member of a species of hunters, known to rip people to shreds just for touching them, is not level? Laughing

On the whole, I agree. She makes for a good leader in a time of crisis, but only until Luke comes back. However, I do think she is capable of making sensible, reasonable decisions.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Werehunter wrote:
All three had shown great leadership skills before they got placed in charge. Ben so far has shown very little.

I'm not sure I understood you correctly, so I'm going to ask. Are you saying that because Corran, Kenth and Saba showed leadership when they were +20 and Ben had shown little leadership when he's only 17, he will never deserve to be Grand Master?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

No, which is why I've been saying that Ben has shown nothing yet that suggests he should be Grandmaster. I've always been clear in showing that my opinion is based on what Ben has done so far. It's why I requested that those want Ben to take over, to tell me what he has done that suggests he should get the position.

My complaint is that many of the people that seem to be for Ben taking over, is doing so only because of who is father is. I personally think that's not only lazy writing, but also would be hurtful to the Star Wars mythos. Something as important as the Grandmaster chair, shouldn't be passed down from parent to child, but rather to the person that is best qualified for that chair.

Now if the writers and editors have it turn out that Ben is the best for the position then so be it. But at least have it be based on something other then it's his birthright. Though I do think the Star Wars Universe has grown beyond the Skywalker line and that they shouldn't have everything revolve around them and the Solos. Which is likely why I like the X-Wing books the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

What authors and editors want will dictate what will happen, not how believable it is in in-universe. I can't see them wanting anyone else to that position in the long run except Ben. Sadly.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd like a bromance. Preferably with Valin Horn (who else could it be?).
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Valin's about 12 years older than Ben. Could be a 'big brother' thing (and not in the George Orwell sense).

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hey, there's no age limit to friendship Razz . Besides, there's not a lot of other characters that fit the bill. To get someone his age, they'd have to create someone new - and creating a character just to be someone's friend can lead to some problems that wouldn't arise with the use of a previously established character.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It would be nice for Ben to have some non-family relationships.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I agree, when I realized while reading FOTJ, that Ben has no friends lol so that is definitely something they should remedy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 5 of 6