The Continuity Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Continuity Discussion
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:30 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I know this subject can be a little touchy. Let us all remember to remain polite and calm - there's no reason to get heated about this.

With that out of the way, you can discuss your views of continuity here; both of George's universe and that of the EU's.

Oh and you might want to read this: http://clubjade.net/?p=27415. It's a good diving board to jump into this discussion.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

OMG! Now he's done it! Shocked
*dives under the nearest table*

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

*snaps on armor plates, takes up defensive position*

I'm ready for this discussion.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

*peers from behind trusty rock* Oh dear...

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I love how the first three comments are people preparing for the actual discussion, and yet there is still no discussion.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

*makes a few practice thrust blocks with rapier*

I guess I'll start... with the classic question: Do you think George Lucas has the right to change continuity on a whim because it is in fact "his universe".

I'm going to say he does have the right, but I think he's abusing his power. When Lucas revealed that Jedi did not have romantic relationships, retcons were needed. This was quite an important point in the Prequel Trilogy as it turns out so this was a good decision.

Now that we have The Clone Wars things are being retconned all the time and for absolutely no reason. Things like Ryloth being tidelocked, R8's model number and Grievous's cough are all small things that I think Lucas should be expected to include. These aren't galaxy-shattering changes.

Here's why I think Lucas should respect the EU more than he does. When he agreed to having an Expanded Universe, he should have realized that this is something that he should be held accountable to. He should have took a closer look at what was going on in the EU, or at least have a representative to do that for him, or have not allowed it at all. It might just be an extra way of making money for him, but people have gotten financially and (more importantly) emotionally invested in these characters and stories. When EU fans are told these stories and characters are little more than consequentless Infinities, they rightfully get upset.

So basically, I think he does have the right to change continuity, but should reserve that power for important issues instead of just doing it whenever it pleases him.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think he is completely within his rights. I feel that the issue is not so much with him, but how strict the policy is. Take Ryloth for example. I could be wrong, but I believe the whole problem was when Windu said "Planetary Rotation" as a space-way of saying a day. I get that TCW is a higher level of canon than the novels/comics, but that statement doesn't need to be the cause of revision. Why can't planetary rotation just be a space-way of saying day, even if the planet is tide locked? But because people are so defensive about TCW and canon, they jumped in a rewrote stuff to make a point.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Here's why I think Lucas should respect the EU more than he does. When he agreed to having an Expanded Universe, he should have realized that this is something that he should be held accountable to. He should have took a closer look at what was going on in the EU, or at least have a representative to do that for him, or have not allowed it at all. It might just be an extra way of making money for him, but people have gotten financially and (more importantly) emotionally invested in these characters and stories. When EU fans are told these stories and characters are little more than consequentless Infinities, they rightfully get upset.

So basically, I think he does have the right to change continuity, but should reserve that power for important issues instead of just doing it whenever it pleases him.

Well said, couldn't have said it better and i totally agree with you, Reepicheep.
I'm thinking about what more to say, but I really can't add anything usefull to this.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
I think he is completely within his rights. I feel that the issue is not so much with him, but how strict the policy is. Take Ryloth for example. I could be wrong, but I believe the whole problem was when Windu said "Planetary Rotation" as a space-way of saying a day. I get that TCW is a higher level of canon than the novels/comics, but that statement doesn't need to be the cause of revision. Why can't planetary rotation just be a space-way of saying day, even if the planet is tide locked? But because people are so defensive about TCW and canon, they jumped in a rewrote stuff to make a point.

I think that these aren't the biggest issues for most fans, but I think that things like character deaths or the peacefull Mandalore in which whole novels are discarded are harder to swallow.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

hmmm

pleads the 5th for now...

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

South Park already answered this years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVkrqzmM16s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

*Gets on soapbox*

The whole Mandalore thing was blown out of proportion. I don't really get it. On a planet where we have New Zealand and Newfoundland, states like New York and New Jersey, or regions like New England, I don't see why it is so hard to have a planet called New Mandalore, to have two cultures based off of the same ground, (Like Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). Really, it's simple. It was nothing to go through and rewrite a bunch of stuff over. It does not take any kind of extended retcon to fix. I feel the only reason why people get worked up over this stuff is because of the whole Jedi/Mando thing.

*gets off of soap box*

Sorry, I have to hide feelings on the mandos deep down because I can get myself into trouble.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:

I guess I'll start... with the classic question: Do you think George Lucas has the right to change continuity on a whim because it is in fact "his universe".

Yes, he has the right. The producers left him with all the rights.

Just as he had the right to allow or deny the EU to start.

He has the right to do what he wants. For me this fact has never been in question.

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
I feel that the issue is not so much with him, but how strict the policy is. Take Ryloth for example. I could be wrong, but I believe the whole problem was when Windu said "Planetary Rotation" as a space-way of saying a day. I get that TCW is a higher level of canon than the novels/comics, but that statement doesn't need to be the cause of revision. Why can't planetary rotation just be a space-way of saying day, even if the planet is tide locked? But because people are so defensive about TCW and canon, they jumped in a rewrote stuff to make a point.

I agree! Sometimes the issues wouldn't be issues if like George's Holiday Special we didn't treat it all like the bible. The R8 droid- they didn't have to give a retcon so fast saying it was the model number- had they kept tight lipped the original explanation of all the "R2" units would have held and worked- which simply was that R2 is part of a serial number that they were R2 Models but you would have an R2-D2YT56R88TR Maces "R8" droid in TCW could have easily been an R2 unit and thus all references to the Model lines (ie when the R6,R7,R8,and R9 models roll out- Post NEW REPUBLIC) would have been preserved. But that wasn't the route taken with this retcon- instead they say it's the model number which now means that Maces is an R8 model which now means that the R7s and such made later need retconed for that bit to remain accurate.

Now say you go out and buy the essential guide to droids to learn the history of the droids- and now this information is all in question beyond the R2 model because of that one little retcon that had they used the term serial number vs model number.

Yet with Sing we had that- we hear she's not Force sensitive anymore- fans panic (lol) then we hear well she won't be shown using the Force in TCW and by that we now know that her past is safe we just won't see her using the Force in the show.

Who decided when to pick and choose the retcon is something I've often wondered. Figuring it was Chee mostly, but even then you have to wonder how much of that is driven by the corporate powers aka George.

But do you know what I find IRONIC?

That Karen Traviss penned TCW novelization for the film that launched the series in the first place.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

Last edited by illogicalRogue2 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
*Gets on soapbox*

The whole Mandalore thing was blown out of proportion. I don't really get it. On a planet where we have New Zealand and Newfoundland, states like New York and New Jersey, or regions like New England, I don't see why it is so hard to have a planet called New Mandalore, to have two cultures based off of the same ground, (Like Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). Really, it's simple. It was nothing to go through and rewrite a bunch of stuff over. It does not take any kind of extended retcon to fix. I feel the only reason why people get worked up over this stuff is because of the whole Jedi/Mando thing.

*gets off of soap box*

Sorry, I have to hide feelings on the mandos deep down because I can get myself into trouble.

Yeah it was! I still see no reason why the Mandalore as originally portrayed and the TCW version can't exist on the same planet even. I mean the Pacifist are obviously using the sacred lands that the original cities were bombed to the 9 hells for symbolism. And it's equally obvious that the Death Watch considers the Pacifists posers and not a threat, so I can see the other Mando'ade feeling the same. Heck I could see the Mando'ade helping the Pacifists round up the Death Watchers they could find and sent them to moon.

Yoda- which "Jedi/Mando thing" do you refer? People's either liking KTs books or not? (I ask because the Jedi/ Mando thing seems to be the reason most disliked KT's books in my experience. ) Or are you referring to something else?

Vile wrote:
South Park already answered this years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVkrqzmM16s

OMGeorgeLUCAS! That was hilarious!

I just heard this guy's interveiw today- he seems to have a good handle on Fandom and this topic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-84m6MHe2k&NR=1

-
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

On the subject of continuity I'll say the following statement:

We, as fans, made Lucas who he is. Whether he likes it or not he owes us the decency of respecting what not only HE created, but what others created and what our support allowed to be created. I say that yes, its technically his and he can do whatever he wants to it, but the fact that we support it is what keeps it going. A little respect isn't ours too demand, but it would be nice nonetheless.

Now I state this: Even though he's messed with continuity hardcore and its angered us, we clearly haven't stopped buying...why? If we truly care about continuity we'd all have to stop buying and none of us will do that so we may possibly just be stuck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 74