Announcing: Qui-Gon Jinn Week
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Holonet News View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you be participating in any of the Qui-Gon Week Activities??
Yes
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
No
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

Announcing: Qui-Gon Jinn Week
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I have a very exciting announcement to make today! Members who were a part of the forums back in 2007 might remember a fun event that we used to hold to celebrate the release of certain new EU items. For the week leading up to the release, we would have special activities and discussions each day that related to the upcoming novel, comic, or game. In fact, I joined the forums a week before one of these special weeks was held, coinciding with the release of the Legacy comic which would reveal the identity of Darth Krayt. It was a really fun time and convinced me to stick around on the forums, and eventually get incredibly involved behind the scenes.

We haven't done a special week in a very long time - in years, actually. With all of the new members we have joining, I thought it would be nice to revive this event and give everyone the opportunity to participate in the same thing that I did upon joining.

We will be holding Qui-Gon Jinn week to recognize the release of the first issue of Jedi - The Dark Side. This is a five issue comic that will tell the story of Qui-Gon's original apprentice. Below is the current schedule of events. Every member is invited to participate in all of the activities. In some cases, we ask for creativity and some work. We encourage you to join us in using your talents for some of these days, and with several weeks before they start, you have plenty of time to prepare something, should you choose.

Qui-Gon Jinn Week Schedule

Wednesday, May 11 - Qui-Gon: The Character and the Force Discussion

Description: A new thread will be started on this day to discuss Qui-Gon Jinn, from his views of the Jedi to his knowledge of the Force. The goal is to post at least five pages of real (not off-topic) Qui-Gon discussion in one day. Moderators and Administrators will keep the thread going with new questions and topics about Qui-Gon during the day.

Thursday, May 12 - Qui-Gon Creativity Day

Description: Members are encouraged to post creative works done by themselves that feature Qui-Gon. Works can include: art, short stories, poems, videos, jokes, songs, song lyrics, crafts, etc. A thread will be created on this day to share your creative Qui-Gon works. If you plan to participate, be sure to work ahead - you have plenty of time! This is an event that I am personally looking forward to, because we have so many talented and creative people on the forums. I can't wait to see what you all come up with.

Friday, May 13 - The Qui-Gon Scavenger Hunt and Contest

Description: This is the giveaway day for Qui-Gon week (prize TBA). Anyone can enter, but you'll have to go on a scavenger hunt to participate. We'll put Qui-Gon's name in 15 different places on the forums and on the main website, EUCantina.net. A series of hints and clues will lead you to each location. The day will start with a hint posted to everyone on the forums. If you follow that hint, you should find the first hiding place, along with a hint of where to find the next hiding place. The pattern will continue until you have found all 15 locations. Submit the URL of each name to me in a private message by 11:59 PM EST to be entered into the contest.

Saturday, May 14 - Live Viewing of The Phantom Menace

Description: This is another event that we used to hold on the forums from time to time. At 8:00 PM EST, we will meet on the forums and watch The Phantom Menace at the same time. We will use the chat box to talk about the film while we watch. As Qui-Gon only appears in TPM, it was the obvious movie choice for the week. This is a great time, and everyone who has ever participated always enjoys it. Just picture our normal chat box conversations, but with a lot of people at once, and a general theme. We'll all be seeing the same things on the screen at the same time. There is nothing better than watching a Star Wars movie with other Star Wars fans.

Sunday, May 15 - Event TBD

Monday, May 16 - Qui-Gon Limericks

Description: Participants in this event must private message me with their Qui-Gon limerick before Monday, May 16. For those that don't know, a limerick is a short, witty or humorous poem in this style:

Of all the heroes known to man
Anakin will always stand
As an icon to all
Even after his fall
So why not give him a hand?

Other examples:

C3PO could be a lady's God
They would call him Goldenrod
But the chances of that
Are not very fat
Even Han wouldn't like the odds

You have to feel sorry for Ben
Living all alone on Tatooine
When asked of his past
He'd whisper "Oh blast"
And think up a lie now and then.

See the pattern? The first, second, and final line all rhyme with each other, while the third and fourth rhyme separately. You can send in as many Qui-Gon related limericks as you wish. I'll post them all in one thread for everyone's entertainment on that Monday.

Tuesday, May 17 - Take Qui-Gon to Work Day

Description: Take Qui-Gon Jinn with you to work! Bring a Qui-Gon action figure, piece of merchandise, or even a picture with you to work, school, or any other public place. Take a picture of your Qui-Gon companion on display in the location of your choice and post it on the forums. You do not have to be in the picture, but feel free to pose with your Qui-Gon friend of you want. Examples: A picture of your Qui-Gon action figure standing next to a bottle of gin in a liquor store. A picture of your printed Qui-Gon photo taped to your car window.

Wednesday, May 18 - Star Wars: Jedi - The Dark Side is released

Description: Spoiler discussion of Jedi - The Dark Side can begin as the comic hits shelves.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Sounds awesome!

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sounds awesome! Very Happy

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I like this idea, this should be fun!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sounds great, this could be fun! Very Happy

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Already got some of my Force Philosophy questions regarding Qui-gon ready!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

*Perks up* Limmericks? Hellooooooooooooo! Great idea, guys! This sounds like a lot of fun!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Which event are you guys looking forward to the most? I love the limerick thing, and I can't wait to watch some Star Wars with this lot. But I'm also very excited to see your creative entries. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Old Master Ben wrote:
Which event are you guys looking forward to the most?

tie for what I'm anticipating most: make a Qui-Gon project and take Qui-Gon with you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Probably the viewing of TPM. I just hope I won't be busy.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Seconded.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Old Master Ben wrote:
Which event are you guys looking forward to the most? I love the limerick thing, and I can't wait to watch some Star Wars with this lot. But I'm also very excited to see your creative entries. Smile

Ooh. A toughie. I always enjoy a good scavenger hunt, though I think I may prefer the creativity stuff. Though, sadly, I probably will be asleep for the viewing of TPM Crying or Very sad
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Last edited by Life Is The Path on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Oh gee. I hadn't that about that Life. Sad

Well if we can get up at 2 am to watch the Royal Wedding, you can wake up at 2 am to watch The Phantom Menace. Wink

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

People are actually doing that? Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Woah. Not me! I have no interest in weddings. That, and it isn't at 2am for me...Though I will be sleeping through it Laughing

But seriously, don't worry about it. I'll be there in spirit! Yep, me and ol' Qui Gon, having spirit popcorn, sitting on our spirit sofa and drinking spirits. Not each other, obviously. That would just be weird.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Holonet News

Page 1 of 4