Log in to check your private messages
The Continuity Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Old Master Ben
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Posts: 2257
Location: Georgia

Darth Skuldren wrote:
.
As for The Clone Wars being a kid's show, you're partly correct. The Clone Wars is a kids show, but it's also geared toward general enjoyment for fans of all ages. The more quality they put into the show, the more respect it is given. Just because it's a kid show does not mean they should slack off or dumb things down. They should strive to create a form of entertainment that excels beyond the normal kid fair, and transcends age groups. It's a loft goal, but I think it would be a good one.


I completely agree. It's a very difficult thing to accomplish, but it's not impossible. Avatar: The Last Airbender is consistently loved and enjoyed by all age groups, even though it was on Nickelodeon as a "kid's show". Dave Filoni even worked on that (though only for the first season, which is easily behind the second two in terms of quality). Making a show for all age groups is certainly something they should strive for. Kids can enjoy a show without dumbed-down plots, and adults can enjoy a show without politics and over-the-top violence. They can meet in the middle and please both parties.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

 PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Cerrinea
Master
Master

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 1491

I do agree with both you guys, but my point is this: if TCW was airing on say TNT, or in a later time slot my expectations would be higher. Since it airs during the "family hour" on Cartoon Network, my expectations are lower and I'm willing to cut them some slack.

With that said, I would like them to clean it up a bit.
_________________
Roqoo Depot co-founder.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Lord Ree'dius
Master
Master

Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Posts: 700
Location: The Unknown Regions

Cerrinea wrote:
I'm only going to say this once so listen carefully. It's a kids' show on Cartoon Network. It's not a theatrical release for the general populace. Lighten up and get some perspective here. Wink


I know it's a show for a wide audience (wouldn't call it a kids show), but taking that in account, there's still things I do and don't like about the show.

Quote:
I don't know anyone like this so if you do, could you name names? I'm pretty uncritical about what GL decides to do, but I have my complaints. I just don't get on a soapbox and go and on and on about it. Also, there's nothing wrong with not having a massive sense of fan entitlement and with acknowledging that the man who created Star Wars probably has more rights here than say just about anyone else.
I'm not saying you can't say that, but only that I disagree. And yes, I know of people who put Lucas on a pedistal.


Quote:
Btw, Lucas was rich before the EU got started.

If you think that that means he doesn't want to earn more money and that all that he does is only from the goodness of his heart then please, keep on dreaming.
_________________
"Strong you are with the dark side, young one. But not that strong.
Still much to learn, you have. Surrender, you should."

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Old Master Ben
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Posts: 2257
Location: Georgia

Cerrinea wrote:
I do agree with both you guys, but my point is this: if TCW was airing on say TNT, or in a later time slot my expectations would be higher. Since it airs during the "family hour" on Cartoon Network, my expectations are lower and I'm willing to cut them some slack.

With that said, I would like them to clean it up a bit.


I know exactly what you're saying, and you are probably right. I guess my expectations are just high because, regardless of the network, it is under the Star Wars name. I just have a natural high expectation for Star Wars projects.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

 PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Lord Ree'dius
Master
Master

Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Posts: 700
Location: The Unknown Regions

Cerrinea wrote:
I just don't get on a soapbox and go and on and on about it. .....
but I'm not all over the internet complaining about how she screwed up the EU and should listen to me because I don't like what she did.


I find this a bit unfair. At least, this is not what I'm doing. This is the continuity thread after all.

Quote:
I don't mind anyone having issues with the continuity and voicing those issues. What I don't like is the attitude of entitlement and the lack of respect for Lucas inherent in it.
See, it's remarks like this that scare me. There's no lack of respect in disagreeing with someones decisions. Unless it's about Lucas apparently... Confused
_________________
"Strong you are with the dark side, young one. But not that strong.
Still much to learn, you have. Surrender, you should."

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Taral-DLOS
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 1518
Location: Ontario, Canada

I love continuity as much as anyone, but you know what I love even more (as I recently learned)? Retcons.

Retcons are surprisingly fun, if you let them be. You see a continuity error, and you think of fun ways they might be explained away. Some are fairly logical (e.g. When Kota said that you couldn't clone Jedi, he hadn't yet learned of X-1 and X-2). Some are downright insane (In the late Clone Wars, Spar led the Mandos in trying to capture Senator Amidala for the CIS, instead of Fett leading the Mandos in trying to capture Princess Leia for the Empire.) But they're all fun!
_________________
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Cerrinea
Master
Master

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 1491

Oh, I love retcons. I always say I can retcon anything, and then I set about trying to do it. Very Happy
_________________
Roqoo Depot co-founder.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Lord Ree'dius
Master
Master

Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Posts: 700
Location: The Unknown Regions

I also try to retcon most things in my mind, but have trouble with some IMO big adjustments. Still, most of the times it all works out fine and I'm a pleased fan for the most part.

The "official" retcons are something i usually enjoy quite a bit too. I love the puzzles in continuity having an Extended Universe bring about.
Although I can have some problems with the reason why certain puzzles are created. (As most of you might have guessed by now Embarassed Wink )
_________________
"Strong you are with the dark side, young one. But not that strong.
Still much to learn, you have. Surrender, you should."

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2851
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

DarkSideSon wrote:
GET THOSE NERDS!!! JK LOL Razz


Wahaha! I heard that as Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds!

Skuldren wrote:
Ever since reading the Thrawn Trilogy and the Jedi Academy Trilogy, I've been an addict. In a way, George is the kingpin of the cartel and I depend on his pushers to provide me with my fix. There's only so much "not buying" I can do.


Laughing Oh man Skuldren! You just described me and my books and comics! Once I got caught up- I'm like a heroine addict. When a book comes out- if I don't have it immediately I start to get worked up about going to get it. I keep thinking "There's something I need to do.... Oh Get that book! (or Comic) I made my attempt to say enough with all the hardcovers, and didn't buy Mill. Falcon, but after waiting the year, and being partially spoiled, the book wasn't exciting for me, and so when Shadows of Mindor came out I had to get back on the Hard cover pony cause I just can't go a year without spoiling myself.... I'm a total addict to the ongoing adventures of a galaxy far far away.


Taral-DLOS wrote:
I love continuity as much as anyone, but you know what I love even more (as I recently learned)? Retcons.

Retcons are surprisingly fun, if you let them be. You see a continuity error, and you think of fun ways they might be explained away. Some are fairly logical (e.g. When Kota said that you couldn't clone Jedi, he hadn't yet learned of X-1 and X-2). Some are downright insane (In the late Clone Wars, Spar led the Mandos in trying to capture Senator Amidala for the CIS, instead of Fett leading the Mandos in trying to capture Princess Leia for the Empire.) But they're all fun!


Ahh yes! It's like seeing a play from my playbook! Retcons make the EU go round I always say!

I also look at spelling and grammar errors as a fun thing. "Oh I caught one!' instead of being upset about it.

Granted I will rib a poor retcon from time to time. I'm looking at your R8 unit Mace... Laughing
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


Last edited by illogicalRogue2 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

 PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Dunc
Padawan
Padawan

Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 6

Lord Ree'dius wrote:
There's no lack of respect in disagreeing with someones decisions.


This. A thousand times this. Respect isn't about what you say, it's how you say it. Tone, not content.

"I disagree with George/Lucasfilm because of X, Y, and Z. I think they should do C and D" is one thing. "George/Lucasfilm is a poopyhead because of X, Y, and Z. The only way to save X is to do D or they might as well flush the whole franchise down the drain." is another. One is respectful, the other isn't.


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2851
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

Dunc wrote:
Lord Ree'dius wrote:
There's no lack of respect in disagreeing with someones decisions.


This. A thousand times this. Respect isn't about what you say, it's how you say it. Tone, not content.

"I disagree with George/Lucasfilm because of X, Y, and Z. I think they should do C and D" is one thing. "George/Lucasfilm is a poopyhead because of X, Y, and Z. The only way to save X is to do D or they might as well flush the whole franchise down the drain." is another. One is respectful, the other isn't.


And while true, not everyone is being disrespectful- yet get called disrespectful for seeing both sides of it and commenting on one or the other. (this does work both ways)

I agree with you 100% Dunc. Tone can kill content. More often then not. People see what they think may or may not be a tone and stop reading / listening to the other people. And it gets heated 8 out of 10 times.
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

 PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Old Master Ben
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Posts: 2257
Location: Georgia

Quote:
And it gets heated 8 out of 10 times.


Not 9 out of 10? That's a disappointing under achievement.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

 PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2851
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

Old Master Ben wrote:
Quote:
And it gets heated 8 out of 10 times.


Not 9 out of 10? That's a disappointing under achievement.


Laughing I felt 9 out of 10 was so cliche. lol

I've been in a conversations on touchy subjects that maintained a fun and care free conversation without becoming fueled by passion misdirected on either side.

But now days with TCW being called a kids show by many and seen as such by kids. (me and my kids watch TCW every episode we can on TV) You get more new opinions on topics both new and old. But then again not every person of the younger generations (each year a new one discovers SW, well each day I'm betting.) shows as much restraint as the next. (same goes for every age, but have we not all heard of the stereotypical xbox live (or online game) with a young 9 year old cussing up a storm hiding behind the mask of an internet connection.

Or you'll have the older generations that might have had a bad day at work or in life and go to try and cheer up on a forum and read a comment and it rubs them wrong and next thing they know they say something that gets the original poster miffed at them. All because of their mood when they read said post.

I think for me everyone should try to relax as best they can. If you can't, try and find a way that helps you. For me I too use the historian method. Not all historians get their information right, and sometimes a lot of historians take something for a fact that later with new technology we learn was mistaken data.

And as I've said. The Retcon's are the EU's friend. We just need Chee to make an online Essential Guide to understanding you're book shelf today. (or something that tells you what falls out of a story and how things got fixed.) I always found those interesting.

That's where it's always been hats off to Chee he's got a job that must be challenging, frustrating, and rewarding all at the same time.
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

 PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Life Is The Path
Master
Master

Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 3742
Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Wow! You know, I was carefully wording in my mind my response to this thread last night, and fully intended to write it all down here. However, you've all beaten me to it! So, if you don't mind my taking the easy route, I'm just going to quote some people and say that I agree, to save you time from reading my lengthy post:

OMB said: I know exactly what you're saying, and you are probably right. I guess my expectations are just high because, regardless of the network, it is under the Star Wars name. I just have a natural high expectation for Star Wars projects.

I agree. People can, and do, say the same about the original movies. That they were geared towards children, but people of all ages can enjoy it. That's what I say about the PT, however, as it's a lot more obvious, I believe that's why people have a problem with it. A bit like you wanting to indulge in being your younger self, but not have the guilt of knowing that you're doing it so openly.

From Ree'dius: If you think that that means he doesn't want to earn more money and that all that he does is only from the goodness of his heart then please, keep on dreaming

I believe the main reason (not saying the only reason, just the main one) is that he made TCW because he wanted to do his own stories. That he would be getting money would be a minor one - and that he'd only care because it would mean he could carry on making stories.

Ree'dius said: See, it's remarks like this that scare me. There's no lack of respect in disagreeing with someones decisions. Unless it's about Lucas apparently..

Agreed. Sorry, I can't think of anything else that Dunc didn't already later state.

From Taral: Some are downright insane (In the late Clone Wars, Spar led the Mandos in trying to capture Senator Amidala for the CIS, instead of Fett leading the Mandos in trying to capture Princess Leia for the Empire.)

You know, I had read of that retcon on The Wook, but I had no idea that TCW was the one that made it! Huh. Now, when someone says the TCW ruins continuity, I can show them this and say it helps it, too.

Cerrinea said: Oh, I love retcons. I always say I can retcon anything, and then I set about trying to do it

You know, it's odd, but I was about to disagree with you, when I realised I do the same thing! Like when reading Crosscurrent, there was an out of character phrase said by Kyle Katarn, and immediately I tried to think of ways that he would say this. But that's not part of the enjoyment for me, it's just that my mind can get pretty analytical at times (when it isn't scatterbrained) and it does it on its own, and by the time I realise what I'm doing, half an hour has gone by!

Skuldren wrote: Ever since reading the Thrawn Trilogy and the Jedi Academy Trilogy, I've been an addict. In a way, George is the kingpin of the cartel and I depend on his pushers to provide me with my fix. There's only so much "not buying" I can do.

Absolutely right, Skuls. If things do go down the Alternate Reality route that has been suggested by some on here, then I feel that I'd strongly dislike it, strongly enough that I'd stop buying SW books altogether. However, I just don't know if I would be able to do that! I think I am addicted, too!
_________________
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Taral-DLOS
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 1518
Location: Ontario, Canada

From Taral: Some are downright insane (In the late Clone Wars, Spar led the Mandos in trying to capture Senator Amidala for the CIS, instead of Fett leading the Mandos in trying to capture Princess Leia for the Empire.)

You know, I had read of that retcon on The Wook, but I had no idea that TCW was the one that made it! Huh. Now, when someone says the TCW ruins continuity, I can show them this and say it helps it, too.


TCW didn't make that retcon, sorry I was unclear. That retcon came from History of the Mandalorians (I think by Abel Pena). I think that was the first reference to Alpha-02 aka Spar, the renegade ARC Trooper who claimed to be the son of Jango Fett and heir of the True Mandalorians, founding the Mandalorian Super-Commandos and fighting for the CIS against the Republic (retconning all references to Boba as an adult in the Clone Wars as being him.
_________________
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear


View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 4 of 69
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

Display posts from previous:

  

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights 2 by Scott Stubblefield