Legacy Of The Force Series Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legacy Of The Force Series Discussion
 PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Feel free to discuss the ongoing Legacy Of The Force Series here. You can discuss major battles, people, places, etc. All specific novel details should be discussed in their rightful thread, unless there is no thread for the novel.

Enjoy!

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So yeah, I think that the LOTF series is a little flawed because seriously, how can you take a character like Jacen, who is the most powerful person in the EU right now and turn him into a bad guy. Not even an anti-hero. A bad guy. And Lumiya? She's back at random, and people who didn't read the comic series with her storyline are gonna be really really lost about all this. None of it will really make sense, but whatever. I don't think that really matters to the writers, but it matters to people. I know they tried to fix it, but it just hasn't worked so far and they're about to release book 9 (just pre-ordered by the way just cause I don't like the series doesn't mean I'm not gonna buy it I need to know what happens).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Sorry Caedus but I can't agree with you there.

I've never read the comics but I was still able to understand Lumiya. Also, if people are really that confused, there are a number of websites that can fill people in.

As for Jacen, well, Jacen is a complicated character. I may not be happy that he turned to evil but I thought it was written well. In fact, I almost find his fall to the Dark Side more believable than Anakin's because it could happen to anyone. At the end of the NJO series, Jacen learns what it is like to save the galaxy as well as what it is like to have enormous power. And then Lumiya begins to work her magic. Jacen sees the galaxy fall into chaos and is convinced that only he can stop it. And so he slowly falls down the dark path. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and that is Jacen.

If you take a snap-shot of Jacen at any point in the later books, I can see you would be confused but you have to look at the whole picture (at least in my opinion).

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote  

So this seems as good a place as any to post this. As a member of starwars.com I got an e-mail news letter which says that Del Rey is having a free promotion of the first book in the series, Betrayal, through May 13. Heres a link as provided in my e-mail http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/starwars/sw_legacy.html

Just thought I'd post this info for anyone who likes free things. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote  

I got the audio book version. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but I thought it would be neat to listen to one since I've never tried an audio book yet. Plus I might learn the proper pronunciations on a few words. Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Caedus_16

Yes, I agree with you that some events in LoTF seem not to be quite logikal, for example, falling Tahiri into Dark side, but I think it is caused by willing of authors to remind about prequels. And the history of falling of Jasen is similar to history of Anakin

Iron Fist

Quote:
In fact, I almost find his fall to the Dark Side more believable than Anakin's

I don\t agree with you. Anakin joined Palpatin in order to save Padme, but neither Jasen nor Tahiri have no reasons for falling to the Dark Side
"Down here, in the never-ending electric twilight, time had a different meaning altogether. It wasn't something to he scheduled, something to be quantified in terms of seconds, minutes, or hours. It was measured much more simply: you either had enough, or not enough," - Coruscant Nights I: Jedi Twilight

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote  

I'd side with Iron Fist on this one...after thinking about it, I think Jacen's fall was more believable. I'm not saying it was more justified, but it did unfold better.

First off you have Anakin who every now and then did something a little dark. Sure, he slaughtered the Tuskens but that was an act, not a transformation to the dark. Even when he intervened with Windu, he still wasn't completely dark. Yet the killing of the younglings was the straw that broke the camel's back. Anakin wants to save Padme from dying in childbirth, so...he kills a bunch of Jedi kids...yeah that's the solution. I mean, I just don't see him making that kind of blind leap so suddenly. Especially with him harboring such doubt the whole time. He goes and throws his life away without Palpatine ever even displaying this power he suggests that he has. Talk about being blinded by your passion. He wipes out the Jedi just on the mere possibility that this guy who has been lying to the whole galaxy is telling him the truth about saving Padme. It's a joke.

Now then there is Jacen. Jacen in the NJO was the great questioner. He questioned everything, especially the way of the Jedi and Luke. That's why he left to go on his Force journey. He returns, has a kid with Tena, and suddenly realizes that his kid's life is in danger by the threats of the galaxy. He finally knows what's its like to be in his parents shoes for once. So far nothing terribly different, all plausible events flowing off the previously developed character (except for the lack of pets and jokes). Fast forward to the asteroid and Lumiya's temptation. This if the point of no return, the critical junction were he has his apithany that no other choice will work but that of the slaying of a fellow Jedi, all other roads leading to a battle with Luke. If you ask me this is where the problem lies. Jacen choosing to walk the dark side is not surprising at all. He wants to know everything about the Force and he has no loyalty the the Jedi and their code to the light. I'd be surprised if he didn't venture out to study it. What gets me is his 'brash all knowing arrogance that he could suddenly perceive the future and know all outcomes' decision he comes to on the asteroid. Also mark that fact that he was wrong because he thought by doing that he could avoid the confrontation with Luke, which he didn't.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm just gonna say if you don't know how it ends yet, you're gonna be a little angry. If you don't believe me check the spoilers I left in the proper Invincible forum. Check it if you'll let yourself, and reply to it there cause I want to hear what other people think of that ending.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote  

I just read this (first post in provided link) and was blown away! Not sure how many of you may have caught this, but if you are like me and missed it, then this is definitely something you should check out.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

All-in-all, I see this series as a waste of a fantastic character and an odd way to make Tahiri even more messed up than she already was. She fell to the dark side (though never fully Sith) and she
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
and I just think that she's suffered enough. She's been through so much. Vong-forming in her mind, Anakin's death, the merging of personalities (her's and Nen Yim's) and now Jacen manipulating her till she fell dark. Seriously, either kill her or leave her alone for awhile. She's just a supporting character, but she's suffered more than most did in the run of the NJO and suffered significantly in LOTF. Leave her alone people. I happen to like her character. Don't butcher it.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Caedus . . . her character was butchered a LONG time ago. Now all they're doing is beating up her corpse.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
-The Code of the Sith

In mourning . . . Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Touche Judicar, touche...tear... Crying or Very sad

Tahiri Veila
 PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Okay, I have to agree on two aspects about her as a character, she has been beat up and she should be left alone. I thought she was an okay character during NJO but to me she got so irritating in LOTF. If they wanted someone to be Jacen's apprentice, they should have kept around Alema Rar. The way the character turned so dark during this series, she was the better candidate to fall because it makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote  

And that is precisely why Alema had to die. She knew too much.

When you look back at the series as a whole and the purpose it was meant to serve, I think it did it well. The question is how the end result will serve the future story lines and eventually link up to the comics? One thing LOTF did accomplish was open up a world of possibilities for future stories. There is no end to the things they can write about now. Plenty of fuel for the creative fire.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

You're right Skuldren, it did . . .

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
-The Code of the Sith

In mourning . . . Crying or Very sad

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2