Tired of the timeline
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tired of the timeline
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I am thrilled about the upcoming MMORPG. But Im just getting tired of being stuck in the past. I mean, your introduced to a character in a story you get to watch or play. You figure out the timeline and you pretty much know when your character has to die. More details are easily figured out aswell. Im not trying to gripe too much. I love all SWEU material in the end,even Jar Jar. I just feel like the walls of the EU are closing in on me. Im getting cabin fever...argghhh!!! Can we please get a movie or tv series based during present day please. New characters.Present day. I want to see what the SWU looks like now and how everyones doing ya know? I want to help shape the SWU universe in games and witness it unfold on tv. Not re-play events from the past anymore. I for one, enjoyed learning the history of Vader and everything else. The KOTOR games and all the novels have pieced together alot for us. But it's getting a little old to me. Let us shape the future and push the limits of SW! Im tired of looking at stupid,old battle droids saying "roger,roger." The current technology in SW(droids,weapons,goverments)would look unbelievable on screen. Remeber the chase scene in TCW movie with Anakin and Sam? That city was cool,but that was old school. Like 1920's New York.Imagine it now and how the technoogy has progressed.I did gripe just a little huh? Rolling Eyes

Re: Tired of the timeline
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Sereck Si'-Well wrote:
Remeber the chase scene in TCW movie with Anakin and Sam? That city was cool,but that was old school. Like 1920's New York.Imagine it now and how the technoogy has progressed.

Just curious who you mean here? I don't recall a Sam in the TCW movie, although I must admit I've only watched it once. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

NO!

Star Wars can never take place during the present just as it can never take place anywhere remotely near earth. Remember it's
A Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far,
Far Away...

Cool

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

What Reepicheep said Smile

No seriously, I'm afraid I don't really understand your question Sereck Si'-Well.
And I'm also curious who Sam was...

EDIT: I understand now, you meant Attack of the Clones with Zam.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

ZAM Sorry guys. Yes, it is a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. But still it would be cool.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

It would be cool, indeed, to have a new tv series set post ROTJ. However, I don't really think that's likely. Lucas said he wouldn't do it, a fact which sets feelings of sadness and relief in me! While, technically speaking, we also know Luke, Han and Leia are also going to survive, I know what you mean.

Personally, though, I've been hankering for a series (written, produced, directed and starring: ME!) set in the Old Republic era. There's a lot more free space you can play with, and so a lot more personal, yet galaxy-wide ranging stories you can give.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Something I think that should be done to take the Expanded Universe to the next level is to take the idea behind SW Legacy, but jump even farther into the future and create an entirely new setting, but spread it across media. Like how there's the NJO era and the Legacy era, create an entirely new era post-Legacy, and have a novel series set during it as well as a comic series, either ongoing or miniseries, a game or TV show or something else visual -- or even radio dramas. Basically, do what SWTOR is doing, but I feel that SWTOR is too blatantly world designed to cater toward a game.

Other than that, I support a reboot -- so long as it also had some sort of guidance to it! I'd prefer some sort of guiding hand to the continuity over what we have. And what we have is sort of a mess that needs to either be scrapped, or the creation of a new setting detached from it. Having gone over the EU recently, I feel that it's almost charitable to call it continuity, insofar as that it consists primarily of reusing characters and settings, but little else. The characterizations and storylines are completely scattershot. Sure, sometimes past stuff will be mentioned, but it's merely name dropping for the sake of fan service rather than relevant to the plot. And people remember the hits and forget the misses of "bad" continuity.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

The Thrawn trilogy was my first introduction into the expanded universe, and man did Timothy Zahn leave an incredible impression on a seventeen year old's mind back in the day. What a perfect place to re-introduce old fans of the movies, and new fans alike into the Expanded Universe who really have no other knowledge beyond the movie trilogy.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

LivingJediDream wrote:
Something I think that should be done to take the Expanded Universe to the next level is to take the idea behind SW Legacy, but jump even farther into the future and create an entirely new setting, but spread it across media. Like how there's the NJO era and the Legacy era, create an entirely new era post-Legacy, and have a novel series set during it as well as a comic series, either ongoing or miniseries, a game or TV show or something else visual -- or even radio dramas. Basically, do what SWTOR is doing, but I feel that SWTOR is too blatantly world designed to cater toward a game.

Other than that, I support a reboot -- so long as it also had some sort of guidance to it! I'd prefer some sort of guiding hand to the continuity over what we have. And what we have is sort of a mess that needs to either be scrapped, or the creation of a new setting detached from it. Having gone over the EU recently, I feel that it's almost charitable to call it continuity, insofar as that it consists primarily of reusing characters and settings, but little else. The characterizations and storylines are completely scattershot. Sure, sometimes past stuff will be mentioned, but it's merely name dropping for the sake of fan service rather than relevant to the plot. And people remember the hits and forget the misses of "bad" continuity.

A reboot would not stop this, but only start it anew. Wink
I also think your wish for a reboot is more of a reflection of your own feelings regarding the continuity we have.

I do like your first idea though.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Lord Ree'dius wrote:
A reboot would not stop this, but only start it anew. Wink
I also think your wish for a reboot is more of a reflection of your own feelings regarding the continuity we have.

I do like your first idea though.

Well, I do say I only want a reboot if it's done right. But I pretty much know for a fact it won't be done right, so.... I'm pretty much against a reboot. I have a suspicion that they're going to start "packing" the existing Bantam era EU with new stories a la Tatooine Ghost and Shadows of Mindor. There's quite a gap between Truce at Bakura and TCoPL, as well as between Jedi Academy trilogy up to Corellian trilogy for stories with Luke, Han, and Leia, although preferably I'd like to see mostly stories only about Luke, or only about Han and Leia, but not all 3. I think they could maybe fit one more trilogy into there, but I'd like to see some Luke solo stories set after Shadows of Mindor and before TCoPL, since he's off doing Jedi research. Maybe a Starkiller-Luke team-up story?

As for my first idea, I'd like to go 500-1,000 years into the future, and have the Galactic Alliance back to being the Galactic Republic, with the events of the films and the surrounding 150+- years of EU viewed as another chapter in Republic history. I mean, between 2,000-1,000 BBY, the Galactic Republic was almost collapsed, yet that's still viewed as part of the 25,000 year history of it leading up to the films. Ideally I would not like to see Sith used as villains.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

They could do a reboot in the same way the Star Trek movie rebooted the old TV series: same characters but the future is now again wide open. This would make it an AU and everything post ROTJ could change.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I wouldn't want a reboot. For me the cons would hugely outweigh the pros. True, there are some things in the EU that I wish we could just pretend never happened but we'd be missing out on so much good stuff.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Not to mention the time many of us have put into the current EU. I'd be...hesitant about a reboot.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
They could do a reboot in the same way the Star Trek movie rebooted the old TV series: same characters but the future is now again wide open. This would make it an AU and everything post ROTJ could change.

That's what I would prefer. Post-ROTJ has become a quagmire.

Reepicheep wrote:
I wouldn't want a reboot. For me the cons would hugely outweigh the pros. True, there are some things in the EU that I wish we could just pretend never happened but we'd be missing out on so much good stuff.

Speaking from a post-ROTJ perspective, there's not so much "good stuff" IMO: Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command, Dark Empire, Specter of the Past, Vision of the Future, Traitor, Destiny's Way, and The Unifying Force. Of course, YMMV, I know I'm probably alone in liking Dark Empire. And I didn't list the Rogue Squadron/Wraith Squadron stuff, which I know a lot of people like. But they sort of illustrate my belief about continuity: their existence or non-existence isn't really relevant for anything else. And that makes me actually dislike Bantam continuity with its fan service name drops. Why remind me of Callista or the Tjelkon Vagabond? Those books sucked!

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Not to mention the time many of us have put into the current EU. I'd be...hesitant about a reboot.

I've read (and bought) just about everything, and my investment in it at this point is minimal. My belief, as far as a good story goes, is that the Thrawn trilogy won't stop being a fun read even if the EU is reboot. I would still read it; I don't need it to be canon.

I've found in my jaunts through the chronology of the EU that a lot of it is nigh unreadable for me now. The only reason I'm even attempting to read it is because it's "canon."

The only thing I really wouldn't want to lose is the cool philosophical aspects of the New Jedi Order, which only really manifest themselves in the three NJO books I listed above, and which have already seemingly been retconned out of existence by Troy Denning, so at this point it's pretty much a moot point in opposition of a reboot for me.

The other thing is I've always been bothered by continuity mistakes, but I felt this back when the prequels were coming out with the Jedi marriages and all the children of Jedi that clashed with the prequels, not to mention the general premise of the Clone Wars in the Thrawn trilogy clashing with the Clone Wars depicted, and so forth. The discontinuity between the post-film (Bantam) EU and the prequels bothers me as much as any continuity error. I initially thought when the prequels were released it was going to lead to an EU reboot anyway.

However, given the current state of the EU, I don't really have any confidence that if the EU is rebooted, that the new stuff would be any better. I mean, getting rid of the Thrawn trilogy, we would probably get a worse replacement. And I'm not overly fond of any of the authors currently writing Star Wars besides Luceno and Zahn, as Stover seems to be done with SW currently.

I like the idea, but I have no confidence that it would be executed properly.

Last edited by Crash Override on Sun May 01, 2011 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If this is any comfort, LJD, apparently Lucas really liked Thrawn and NJO.

Also, I'm pretty much in agreement with you about most of the post-ROTJ novels. There's a lot of nostalgia for the Bantam era but imo it's over-rated. I think NJO was the highlight of Del Rey's reign, they reached their zenith with it, and just can't repeat that success.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2