All past Star Wars novels being released as ebooks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
All past Star Wars novels being released as ebooks
 PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

On June 28, 2011, Random House Inc. and Lucasfilm will release the entire backlist library of Star Wars novels published under the Bantam and Del Rey imprints as e-books. There are currently 30 Star Wars titles available, but that number will grow significantly. 106 novels will be downloadable as e-books.

More info here: http://www.eucantina.net/archives/10460

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sounds as a great way to introduce more people into the EU and make it more accessible to the wider audience. (and thus create some new EU-fans)
For me it won't change a lot. I still like reading paper books best (for several reasons)and already own most of the EU novels, so I don't really need the e-books myself. The novels I don't have yet I'll still buy as actual books.
And that's not just a matter of my prefering reading books over e-books, but it's also that I just love having the collection on my bookshelfs.

I will however check out the extra's:
Quote:
• An updated STAR WARS novels timeline
• An introduction to the six major STAR WARS eras: The Old Republic, Rise of the Empire, Rebellion, The New Republic, New Jedi Order, and Legacy
that will be included in the e-books.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not planning on getting books digitally but if I did this would be the reason. I've stopped buying Star Wars books and only take them out from the library because they take up too much room.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote  
VIP
VIP

Wow, we were just about to record a segment on the quasi-debunking of this same idea a while back. Now I'm glad we didn't.

I own a Nook and have the Nook and Kindle apps on my smartphone, but when it comes to Star Wars novels, I collect them, so I won't be going digital.

If anyone out there IS going digital . . . my newest book and the others in that series are on Kindle and Nook. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

eBooks. Heh. Kindles. Heh. A true book lover craves not this things. Wink

Hard copies for me.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:

Laughing
You are truly wise, Master Padme.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I agree with Queen Padmè Skywalker and Lord Ree'dius. Books have their own smell, feel, personality, unlike the facelessness of digital media. Just something about feeling and turning the pages while sitting/laying in your favorite spot.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hard copies. Much as I'd love to have more shelf space, my collection is gorgeous to behold

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Any word on what novels specifically are going ebook?

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Severity wrote:
I agree with Queen Padmè Skywalker and Lord Ree'dius. Books have their own smell, feel, personality, unlike the facelessness of digital media. Just something about feeling and turning the pages while sitting/laying in your favorite spot.

Definitley. There is nothing like the smell of an old book and curling up in bed with one. Star Wars might be my only exception. Maybe.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I love the feel of a book, but for convenience sake, I will be buying at least my favorite books as e-books. So much easier to carry around when traveling, at the gym, waiting somewhere etc.

I am really curious about pricing. I would bet we see a three tier structure developed for books released as HC ($13.99), TPB ($7.99), and novellas ($2.99-3.99).

I have a full chart with the place holder pricing data from the RH Smart Archive on my website, but when I went to see of the RHSA had been updated, it looks like the site is down right now. [url] http://lightsaberrattling.blogspot.com/2011/03/star-wars-news-ebooks-and-phantom.html[/url]

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Lord Ree'dius wrote:
Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:

Laughing
You are truly wise, Master Padme.

I only speak truth.

At any rate, I can see how having your entire book collection on one platform might be convenient, kind of like mp3 players are. But given the choice, I will always prefer the experience of actually turning a page and seeing how far I've read.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote  
VIP
VIP

I actually have read a LOT more in the last year by having a Nook than I had previously with hard copies, and it has allowed me to more conveniently read the really huge stuff like Atlas Shrugged, Patriot's History of the United States, and so forth in a much more user-friendly form.

As an avid reader, the only reason I'd actually switch back from Nook to paper is for the sake of collecting, and I would never have guessed I'd say that a year ago.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

As I said in the collecting forum:

I for one will collect then at some point. I want to get my whole Paperback collection doubled in the ebook format- simply to have it all on hand. But seeing how I personally don't own a kindle (the wife does) until I get my own smart phone nook or kindle I have no rush to get them. Though I have decided that any Hardcover I can get on kindle I WILL. I'm ready to stop buying the hardcovers just to not have to wait a year and pray not be spoiled. I did it with Vortex and was very happy! Granted I had to read it at the PC unless the wife let me borrow her kindle but hey- it beat shelling out $27 for a book I will be buying again in paperback, and I only spent 6.99 on it! So that felt like a win.

But the other side of it is now that all these other books are available I have a stronger desire to get every hardcover on the kindle- since I plan on getting it anyway at some point. So now buying a hardcover seems even stupider for me to do. (Prays all new releases are offered on Kindle as well!!!!!)

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

LightsaberRattling wrote:
I love the feel of a book, but for convenience sake, I will be buying at least my favorite books as e-books. So much easier to carry around when traveling, at the gym, waiting somewhere etc.

I am really curious about pricing. I would bet we see a three tier structure developed for books released as HC ($13.99), TPB ($7.99), and novellas ($2.99-3.99).

I have a full chart with the place holder pricing data from the RH Smart Archive on my website, but when I went to see of the RHSA had been updated, it looks like the site is down right now. [url] http://lightsaberrattling.blogspot.com/2011/03/star-wars-news-ebooks-and-phantom.html[/url]

As far as I'm aware, as it is now you don't pay HC prices for any books. Even printed books that are out in HC only format, you still pay paperback prices for the e-book format. As such, I see no reason that they would change that now.

Just to be clear, though, I don't own an ebook reader, and probably won't ever, so my facts are from other sources in the know - EUCast.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2