Qui-Gon Jinn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

You guys can continue with the serious Qui-Gon discussion now. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

LivingJediDream wrote:
I always thought of Qui-Gon as the ideal Jedi Knight. If the entire Jedi Order were like Qui-Gon, the galaxy would be set. He did his job without letting bureaucratic red tape get in his way. The reason he was probably sent to Naboo to begin with is because the other Jedi wouldn't go since the Chancellor wasn't supposed to send them.
True!

LivingJediDream wrote:
Maybe Terry Brooks novelization of Episode I is the root of Qui-Gon being labeled the Living Force proponent, I think it noted as much... honestly, that bothered me for a long time because I couldn't correlate what Qui-Gon says about the will of the Force and destiny and so forth with him being one-minded with the Living Force and disregarding the Unifying Force, until I realized that he isn't exclusively focused upon the Living Force.
Agreed. Qui-gon didn't loose sight of the Unifying Force, but, unlike a lot of other Jedi, he let the Living Force guide him and trusting it to get him where needed to be and do what needed to be done. The true meaning of trusting in the Force. Smile

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Edit: the topic shifted before I could reply, and only noticed after posting. My bad. Still, it's below. Re: actors.

I might suggest James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender for the roles of Qui-Gon Jinn and Dooku of Serenno.

McAvoy is older than 20 (in fact I think he's 31) but he can play much younger than that. He's got the face for it.

Fassbender is 34 and has a hard look to him. With a bit of makeup I could buy him as older.

And since they play Charles Xavier (Professor X) and Erik Lenshurr (Magneto) in the upcoming X-Men: First Class, it will be interesting to see their chemistry. They have a professional relationship, but one values life, whereas the other is more forceful. The comparison is fair, except for the fact that X and Magneto were peers and not Master/Apprentice.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Well, I sort of skimmed over the past pages, so forgive me if I say something that was already said.

I never really liked Qui-Gon until the Jedi Apprentice series. Then I thought he was awesome!

As far as Anakin goes, I think he would have had no effect on Anakin or he would have made things worse. Anakin lacked discipline, while Qui-Gon had discipline deep down, he didn't seem that way. I think his issues with the code and Council would have given Anakin a model to follow. In the same way that I don't think Ahsoka has gained any respect for the Jedi. What she has gain has come from Plo, not Anakin.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote  

I agree with OMB, Josh Pence definitely has the look of a young Qui-Gon.

Quote:
Which quality of Qui-Gon do you like the most?

The fact that he was Liam Neeson. Very Happy Seriously, I grew up with Dark Man as a hero, so Liam Neeson has been a childhood role model of mine for a long time. I thought it was awesome to see him as a Jedi.

Bouncing around...

And I liked what Ree'dius had to say:
Quote:
I think that Qui-gon would have presented with the choice between the Order and Padme. Qui-gon would have supported Anakin in whatever choice he would have made, but he would have made Anakin choose I think and not let him keep secrets like that.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Old Master Ben wrote:
I have one: Josh Pence. Click the spoiler tag for a picture.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Pence is supposed to play a young Ras Al Ghul in the next Batman movie, and of course Liam Neeson played Ras Al Ghul in Batman Begins.

Perfect casting for a young Qui-Gon!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: Coruscant looking at the Jedi Temple in the distance...

Old Master Ben wrote:
I've always enjoyed how many aspects of Qui-Gon we see in the one film alone. Another question: which quality of Qui-Gon do you like the most? There are so many: his ability to see value in people that would normally be dismissed, his regard for all living things, his defiance of the council, his wisdom, his trust in the Force...

In my humble opinion, His regard for all living things... that's where he GETS the whole Living Force thing...

Cerrinea wrote:
Personally, I found that whole Siri storyline just off, and Qui Gon's behavior really out of character especially considering what had happened in regards to Tahl. And now some of the Siri story is out of canon anyway. She wasn't Obi-Wan's one, true, everlasting love (the list is getting longer all the time. The guy was a player. LOL).

I don't think Qui Gon would have handled the Anakin/Padme thing at all how he handled the Siri/Obi-Wan thing. And just to work with the storyline Jude Watson presented us, one of Qui Gon's arguments to Obi-Wan was to make a decision with his eyes open. This Jedi Order and this Council were not going to change the rule on attachment. This happened in 39 BBY. It's another 20 years and totally different times in drastic circumstances when Anakin/Padme occur. You can't discount that, and the fact is that war accelerates societal changes.

The fact is, the Jedi Order was already changing, and had they survived would have inevitably changed further. As usual the change started with the rank and file; not at the top. We already know of several instances where knights had married and had children. Anakin Skywalker was not a lone Jedi in this.

I think Qui Gon would have seized the opportunity that was presenting itself to push change in the Jedi Order.

I agree with Cerrinea in all her points ... That Obi-Wan!! lol

I think Qui-Gon would have treated Anakin/Padme with more sensitivity... I think, he would have given Anakin a choice... while still pushing him towards his destiny as The Chosen One...

As far as how he would have been with Anakin as his Master? I think Anakin would not have been too happy with him... remember that he always left his apprentices wanting and wishing for his praises ... Qui-Gon was truly an awesome Jedi ... but he was undisciplined, and also very involved with his own thoughts and understanding of the Force, that sometimes he was oblivious to his apprentice's needs. Now... how would have impatient and needy Anakin been reacting to that??? I think he would have been wanting for more and getting more angry and frustrated! An angry Anakin would have turned to the dark side sooner... may be???
I also believe that Dooku would have left the order regardless of Qui-Gon; but that Qui-gon would have never joined with Dooku or the separatists.

I think Old Master Ben is right that Qui-Gon would have been a great mentor for Anakin after he became a Jedi Knight... he would have been a strong balancing force against Palpatine...

Darth Skuldren wrote:
..... However, the Jedi messed up by adhering to their idea of no attachments. Instead of simply taking the child so they could teach them the proper ways of the Force, the Jedi took the child away from their parents and denied them parents. The parents did not get to come and visit their children when ever they wanted. There were no breaks from Jedi school to visit home. Instead, the children were completely taken away and denied the childhood they normally would have got. The Jedi Order kept the children from living any degree of a normal life.
...... Yet Qui-Gon was open to change. Had he lived and had he taken a place on the Council, perhaps with Anakin and Obi-Wan by his side thus edging out the old by-the-rules-Order, a positive change could have been brought to the Order as a whole, and maybe the strict lines of attachment could have been loosened.

I totally agree that the OJO really missed the whole point of attachment... too close-minded and rigid... and really not in tune with the Living Force... and as we all know ... too complacent!!!

I think that if Qui-Gon had survived, he would have been an agent of change; but would have split the order into two groups... the fundamentalists ... Yoda, Mace, Obi-Wan (??) ... and those who (like Altis) were open to attachment ... Quinlan Vos, and Anakin (even may be Obi-Wan??? lol) would have joined this group. Eventually, their flourishing order would have absorbed the (I'd say dwindling in numbers) first group... Therefore, the NEW JEDI ORDER would have risen.... stronger in The Force .... unified in Jedi families that now filled the halls of the Jedi Temple... (I mean look at Starkiller... Son of two Jedi... sooo powerful...!!)
THEN... Sith beware!!!

As for who should play Qui-Gon ... I thought Ryan Raynolds looks more like younger Liam... but Josh Pence is better looking...

HELP ME Obi-Wan...

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I think we nearly did 5 pages worth of Qui-Gon chat in one day. Pretty good guys! Creativity day has now started, so get over to that thread with your creative works. Feel free to continue the Qui-Gon discussion.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Shoot, I forgot about Qui-gon week! Sad

I'll try to draw something tonight but no promises.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 5 of 5