Who should be on the Jedi Council? (Post Movies)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who should be on the Jedi Council? (Post Movies)
 PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I've seen comments about I hope so and so joins the council or I think so and so will be Grandmaster in several threads. However rarely is that person the one who the thread is actually about. So I figured instead of taking threads more off topic then they are I'd make this.

Out of characters in Fate of the Jedi who are not currently on the Council there are only a handful I think should be on it.

Jania is near the top of the list. She's been invited to sit at several meetings already as a Knight and most of the younger Jedi look to her for leadership. She's shown that she's willing to do what it takes to get the job done regardless of any personal attachments. One thing I think may hold her back her tendency to act without council approval, however I don't think we've seen her flat out defy them. Plus there are times where she realizes things are above her pay grade, so the speak, and brings thing to the council. Only her marriage to Jag, if it happens would make be reconsider this. I don't think it's wise to have the wife of a head of state be on the Council. Only if she recuse herself in all discussions in regard to the Empire might that work.

Lowie is also on the list. In fact he's the one I'd say should be Grandmaster one day. He's never wavered at all from the light and he's shown great loyalty to both his friends and the order. Sadly the no wookie jedi rule will likely keep him out of consideration.

Tekli is that last of that generation of Jedi I'd say should be on it. Though she's not that strong in the force, she's has shown great promise. She knows when to stay silent and let others discuss things but also knows when to speak up and take charge. Granted that usually is in regards to her patients but since her role those far is as a healer, that makes sense. She should join when Cilghal steps down or dies.

Sadly there hasn't been much effort to develop the younger Jedi. Out of those introduced in Legacy of the Force, Yaqeel seems to show the most promise to be on the council on day but with so little know about it I'd not say that she should be. The Horn siblings, and yes I know they were introduced before Legacy, are possibles but since they've been crazy most of the time we've seen them are not developed enough to know if they have promise outside of their family name, and that's not enough for me.

Those that I don't want on the council follows:

Leia, I'm guessing most will disagree with me here but I don't think she should be on the council at all. In Legacy of the Force, she's only been a Jedi for about seven years or so and has spent most of that time ignoring the council. While I do think she has great wisdom and leadership skills, until she starts treating the council as something other then something to be acknowledge only when they can help her she shouldn't have a seat on it. Lucas showed in Phantom Menace that there have been Jedi Masters that are kept off the Council for such reasons and Leia should be one. Having someone who all but ignores them get a seat will set a horrible example for younger Jedi.

Zekk, though I love Zekk he doesn't seem like the leader type. Though I can see them Council getting his advice from time to time, I don't see him being one to get a seat.

Ben Skywalker, again will be unpopular but until he shows some leadership I say no. Luckily he's still young and should have plenty of time to grow into that leadership skill set that's require. Oh yeah, and get better wisdom then telling Jacen to target Wookie cities just so you can get closer for the kill.

All the others are either too underdeveloped or are in places, like Tenel Ka, where they can't logically be on the council. Though as I write this, I realized just how badly they've developed younger Jedi. The focus has been on the Council too much. Maybe they should start up the Young Jedi Knight books to develop some new ones.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Jaden Korr. He seems to be coming to prominence now that he's got his own book, and another on the way. Other than him, I can't really think of any other Jedi at the moment.

I disagree, though, with your reason against Leia. Kyp did a lot of that, yet he was chosen to be on the council because of it, not in spite of it.

And I disagree with Jaina being on there - she's a little too short-sighted for my liking, though if they have her mature a lot more in this series, I could see it happening.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I agree with Life about Jaina. She's too immature yet to be a Council member. In fact, I think she's still too immature to make master. She reacts way too much without thinking things through.

Leia on the other hand should be named at least a master if not to the Council. She's almost a defacto member now. She is in on half the meetings and they're always seeking her advice.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Kyp disagreed with Luke not the council for there wasn't the council. There was no ture hierarchy at the time for Kyp to ignore. That was one of the major plot point of New Jedi Order. That without structure the Jedi had no one to answer to. And even then he didn't completely disregard Luke, but largely disagreed. He might have been vocal about the differences, but when asked he still came to meetings.

Leia mean while goes out and does what she wants regardless of orders handed down. A good example would be when her and Han found out that Dalaa hired Mandos. When they reached the temple they found Jaden outside the chamber to keep others out. The smart thing to do would be to tell Jaden what happened and have him relay the message to the masters and wait to be called in. Instead they fell that they needed to be part of the discussion and tricked their way inside. That's just total disrespect not only towards the Masters but her fellow Jedi as well. It seems the only one she actually listens to is Luke. Oh and I don't mind Leia one day become a Jedi Master but don't think she should be on the Council.

And I don't think Jania's entirely short sighted. I'll admit that they'll writing her a tad immature at the moment but not short sighted. It seems to be that she often knows what the results might be but does things anyways because she thinks they are worth it. That might not be entirely wise but not short sighted. Meanwhile she has great leadership experience, tactic planning sense, and as I said before many younger Jedi follow her lead in things.

And you're right about Jaden Korr, I didn't think about him for I didn't even know he had a book. I'm only seen him in a handful of small scene in FOTJ and the game. And while the game was enjoyable, didn't really define the character too much outside of kicks ass.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
Leia mean while goes out and does what she wants regardless of orders handed down. A good example would be when her and Han found out that Dalaa hired Mandos. When they reached the temple they found Jaden outside the chamber to keep others out. The smart thing to do would be to tell Jaden what happened and have him relay the message to the masters and wait to be called in. Instead they fell that they needed to be part of the discussion and tricked their way inside. That's just total disrespect not only towards the Masters but her fellow Jedi as well. It seems the only one she actually listens to is Luke. Oh and I don't mind Leia one day become a Jedi Master but don't think she should be on the Council.

That's not even in the same ballpark as being disrespectful to Luke's face and basically saying he was going to do as he pleased, then walking out on Luke, which is exactly what Kyp did in NJO. He was also part of the masters' group that was tearing the Jedi Order apart during DNT which forced Luke's hand to take control as grandmaster. Leia hasn't even come close to doing that.

One of the big reasons Luke appointed Kyp to the council was to keep the "enemy in the tent". Having Kyp on the council actually gives Luke more control over Kyp. However, I'll admit that Kyp has grown greatly since NJO/DNT. I think he deserves his seat on Council in his own right now.

Jaina -- not so much. She's still going off on her own, disobeying whoever is Grandmaster of the moment. I also think there's some real issues with all those Jedi who were part of the Myrkr group. They very much demonstrated how they were not thinking like Jedi during the entire DNT. Lowie and Tesar (and Tahiri would have too) betrayed the Jedi Order. I think they need to demonstrate a lot more mature behavior before they should be considered for the Council.

And what's the rush to replace anyone anyway? It's not like the masters have one foot in the grave and are going to kick the bucket anytime soon. Of course if one of them is killed, they'd need to be replaced, but I imagine it would be with Leia or Jaden or someone older before any of the original YJK were given a seat on the Council.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Had Kyp not been asked on to the council, when it was formed, I'm sure he still would have disagreed and disregarded, in certain instances, what the council had to say, but even then I think it's the right call for him to be on the Council. That is, basically, the same for Leia. In your example I can't quite recall the reason for her wanting in, so I obviously can't give a proper answer - do you mind supplying me with the information? Did she have an insight, or special information, that she felt the Council needed to know?

About Jaina; you do concede, though, that she can be short-sighted at times. So my basic premise stands Wink . And her going through with her plans even though she knows the outcome is more arrogance and stubbornness than short-sightedness, but tying in with that, she doesn't really think on things from all sides - as evidenced by her opening scene in the DN trilogy. She was giving evidence in a trial, and the prosecution was attacking her for her actions during and after the raid against pirate vessels.

Korr is the main character in Crosscurrent, and the upcoming Riptide.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life, Han and Leia did have information they felt the Council needed to hear immediately. I'm not going to look it up because I can't remember which book it was in, but I remember the incident Werehunter's referring to. Imo, I don't even see that as disrespect.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

In that case I don't see it as that, either. The Council, I am sure, merely gave those instructions to stop the non-emergency intrusions. They would most likely have understood in Leia's case.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Future Masters:

Jaden Korr
Leia Organa Solo
Jaina Solo (but I agree with many of you not for a while, she still has lots to work on)
Lowbacca (future)
Ben Skywalker (future)
Vestari Khai (future)
Tahiri Veila (before Ben and Vestari, and after Jaina)

Future Grand Master:

Allana Solo (with a pack of nexu sitting around her golden throne on Hapes)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Vestara Khai and Tahiri Veila? They're not even Jedi. Tahiri maybe will return, but I just think at this point it's a huge stretch to even suppose Vestara will be a Jedi. She's a kid; there's more than one direction for her to go in. Yeah, things look somewhat positive at the moment, but that's just one book. Even then, Vestara's motives were mixed so she's not doing this big turn to the light side.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I know it's a stretch but it's just a feeling Cerrinea are you watching the Phantom Menace tonight?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Life Is The Path wrote:
In that case I don't see it as that, either. The Council, I am sure, merely gave those instructions to stop the non-emergency intrusions. They would most likely have understood in Leia's case.

What difference would it had made for them to have Jaden step inside and give the message to the Council. There was no need for them to pull a fast one to slip inside when they knew Jaden had been placed there to keep them out. Something the Masters did because Leia does not follow orders and does whatever the hell she wants. I'm sure when she was Chief of State of the New Republic she would have hated someone who felt they could barge into any meeting at any time because they felt what they had was important. That's how Leia acts with the Council.

Kyp was placed on the Council because they didn't want to have people that just agreed with Luke. That's someone all deliberating bodies should have. And by the time the Council was created, Kyp had stopped openly disagreeing with Luke, going as far to place himself under Jania's command. That's a huge step for him. And while earlier in the series he did disregard Luke's leadership, Luke had no official leadership. That was pointed out a number of time. Yet Kyp still did several things over the course of the series to prevent the Jedi from breaking apart all together even if he didn't like it.

Thus far Leia has shown almost no regard for the leadership of the Council. They even stated that Keneth started using the title of Grand Master in hopes that it would make Leia and Han at least act like Leia was supposed to follow their orders. The sole person she ever paid attention to is Luke when it comes to following orders. Sure she's done things that have helped the Jedi, but someone that doesn't think the Council matters shouldn't be put on it.

And no I don't agree Jania can be short sighted. I said she does see the possible ramifications of her actions but decides her actions are worth it. I wouldn't even call that arrogance for usually when she does that, all possible choices have negative outcomes. She just tries to choose the one that's the least negative, something that she doesn't always do. The opening Scene of the DN Trilogy had them under pressure of a summons they couldn't fight. Only Tenel Ka kept herself from going that was by having her guards restrain her.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote  

The only person I can think of right now that I would like to see on the Council is Leia. She has the skill and seniority for the position, as well as the wisdom. Plus I think she would bring a good balance to the Council because A.) She is a skilled politician, and B.) Of all the Jedi on the Council, she has the closest viewpoint of a non-Force sensitive. I think the Jedi often overlook the viewpoints of people who can't touch the Force. Leia has a pretty good feel for that since she waited a very long time for her Jedi training, and her political experience constantly had her considering the viewpoints of non-Force sensitive beings.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Leia would make a great leader of the Jedi, but she seems to have trouble being part of a council these days. It's understandable, after fighting against so many terrible governments for so long she's kind of anti-establishment. And besides, she has way too many attachments and responsibilities. It seemed like the LotF Correllian storyline was meant to show us that Han & Leia aren't perfectly neutral, they have many attachments and when there are conflicts they don't always side with the Jedi.
What's the "no Wookie Jedi rule"? 'Cause I think Lowie would be pretty great on the council.
It might screw up with the voting but I wouldn't mind some more Barabels.
I kinda just wish Dark Horse would lend Del Rey a hand and let them use certain Jedi Masters that are apparently just hanging out waiting for the Legacy comics.
This discussion mostly draws attention to the fact that we need some new Jedis, not young ones either. I keep hoping Troy Denning will pull some more Jedis out of his ass like he did with Saba and her crew.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

izikavazo wrote:
I kinda just wish Dark Horse would lend Del Rey a hand and let them use certain Jedi Masters that are apparently just hanging out waiting for the Legacy comics.
That would certainly be cool! And solve the problem of not having enough (experienced older) Jedi around.

Quote:
I keep hoping Troy Denning will pull some more Jedis out of his ass.
You mean his hat, of course? Wink

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2