The Bothan Spynet [The Forum of The Star Wars Report]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Official Forum of Solo Sound View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Thanks!

On a completely unrelated note: I thought the Official Site forums were supposed to be down by now? I even made a comment about its death on the 29th. Did they change their mind?

Sorry for bringing it up here, but I couldn't think where it went best.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Thanks!

On a completely unrelated note: I thought the Official Site forums were supposed to be down by now? I even made a comment about its death on the 29th. Did they change their mind?

Sorry for bringing it up here, but I couldn't think where it went best.

I too am curious. You have to wonder if the forums closing is just a lack of people to do the work. And like closing it, no one's around to do it?

(Just pondering that one. I've no real idea, but have said good bye a few times. Then see more posts, and wonder if they are making up for the days the site was down? Laughing

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:24 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I never joined the the official site forums, I was just surprised to find out they're shutting down.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just listened to The Bothan Report #12 and wanted to offer a brief comment on the Sith Force Ghosts (first subject discussed):

I'm actually very glad they cut the Revan/Bane Sith Force Ghosts from the show. I personally believe it would have made no sense.

From an EU standpoint: yes, there have been Sith Lords as Force Ghosts. That being said, they were very much limited in what they could do. Their spirits were tied directly to their tombs (or some other important location), and they could not venture away from them. They could only affect those who came near, and required significant energy to manifest in any other way.

Exar Kun was limited to the temple in which he died. He manipulated and corrupted several of Luke's students, but they were all fairly close by. Marka Ragnos required the use of his scepter (imbued with Force energy) to revive him. Ajunta Pall was forced to stay near is tomb as well. Karness Muur was stuck in his talisman. The list goes on.

The other reason I don't think this would've worked is how both Revan and Bane met their fates. When Revan ultimately died, he was canonically of the Light Side (unless this will change in the upcoming The Old Republic: Revan). When Bane died, his spirit essentially dissolved, and to make matters worse, he'd already shed his Orbalisk armour by the time of his death (his appearance would've been in armour).

The only explanation I could see is if the Dark Side could simply manifest itself in the form of two of its greatest Sith Lords, rather than them being Force Ghosts. Something akin to The First in the last season of Buffy, who could show themselves as anyone who died, even if they'd been revived since, like Buffy or Warren (seen still living, sans skin, in the canon Season 8 comics).

Anyways, that's my take on it.

Thanks again for a great show!

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

The orbalisk armour does throw me for a loop. But then again, any type of clothes on a ghost throws me for a loop. The clothes didn't die, after all!

But I look at it like this: That the planet, being a nexus of Force energy, enabled the spirits of Bane and Revan and Qui Gon to manifest themselves, whereas they wouldn't normally be able to. So, in effect, I don't think Sith Spirits are so much tied to their bodies. I think they can roam the galaxy all they want, but that the connection to the physical plane is strongest around their dead bodies. Or, it could be, that their burial mounds increase and focus Force energy, thus enabling them to do so.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:09 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm fine with them being cut from the episode 2

so much about that trilogy already didn't make sense and just brought up many more questions than were answered, Revan and Bane would have just added to the head scratching lack of rationale

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Taral-DLOS wrote:
I just listened to The Bothan Report #12 and wanted to offer a brief comment on the Sith Force Ghosts (first subject discussed):

I'm actually very glad they cut the Revan/Bane Sith Force Ghosts from the show. I personally believe it would have made no sense.

From an EU standpoint: yes, there have been Sith Lords as Force Ghosts. That being said, they were very much limited in what they could do. Their spirits were tied directly to their tombs (or some other important location), and they could not venture away from them. They could only affect those who came near, and required significant energy to manifest in any other way.

Exar Kun was limited to the temple in which he died. He manipulated and corrupted several of Luke's students, but they were all fairly close by. Marka Ragnos required the use of his scepter (imbued with Force energy) to revive him. Ajunta Pall was forced to stay near is tomb as well. Karness Muur was stuck in his talisman. The list goes on.

The other reason I don't think this would've worked is how both Revan and Bane met their fates. When Revan ultimately died, he was canonically of the Light Side (unless this will change in the upcoming The Old Republic: Revan). When Bane died, his spirit essentially dissolved, and to make matters worse, he'd already shed his Orbalisk armour by the time of his death (his appearance would've been in armour).

The only explanation I could see is if the Dark Side could simply manifest itself in the form of two of its greatest Sith Lords, rather than them being Force Ghosts. Something akin to The First in the last season of Buffy, who could show themselves as anyone who died, even if they'd been revived since, like Buffy or Warren (seen still living, sans skin, in the canon Season 8 comics).

Anyways, that's my take on it.

Thanks again for a great show!

Re: Force Ghosts and Sith- I didn't see Bane or Revan as Ghosts for TCW- Bane had lost the Orblisks before he died- this lead me to believe that these were Holocron gate keepers.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: A floating diamond which no-one really seems to acknowledge

Just the thought of Sith becoming Force ghosts make my stomach turn.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:05 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Looking for Republic #0? Look no further.

-
-

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So we ask of you Bothans! What do you enjoy?

-
-

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

A quick thought (unrelated to the link).

On the podcast you guys have mentioned wanting a sound bite of a Bothan being killed, for random use throughout the show (where a Wilhelm Scream might go, for example).

Has anyone looked into the sound files for Battlefront II or Empire at War?

In Battlefront II, the Rebel Alliance Commander unit was a Bothan. He had a sound if he was fragged.

In Empire at War, there was a mission in the Imperial campaign where the Emperor personally slaughters a bunch of Bothans.

Now, it's possible that these Bothans didn't have a unique sound (a la BothanDied.mp3) and just used a generic death-scream (a la PlayerDeath.mp3). But I don't know how to look in game files for that sort of thing. It might be worth an investigation if you want that sound bite.

Just a random thought.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Taral-DLOS wrote:
A quick thought (unrelated to the link).

On the podcast you guys have mentioned wanting a sound bite of a Bothan being killed, for random use throughout the show (where a Wilhelm Scream might go, for example).

Has anyone looked into the sound files for Battlefront II or Empire at War?

In Battlefront II, the Rebel Alliance Commander unit was a Bothan. He had a sound if he was fragged.

In Empire at War, there was a mission in the Imperial campaign where the Emperor personally slaughters a bunch of Bothans.

Now, it's possible that these Bothans didn't have a unique sound (a la BothanDied.mp3) and just used a generic death-scream (a la PlayerDeath.mp3). But I don't know how to look in game files for that sort of thing. It might be worth an investigation if you want that sound bite.

Just a random thought.

Oh Good thoughts! And BattleFront 2 had a Bothan Spy as well. Hmmm... interesting.

-
-

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

happy birthday, Mark!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Indeed! Happy Birthday! Hope you had a fantastic day!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks peeps! It was indeed!

-
-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Official Forum of Solo Sound

Page 3 of 7