Pod Race!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pod Race!
 PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Which of the racers did you like? Which did you not like? Which is your very favorite? Which did you wish had lived to race again?

Was the pod race enjoyable to you? If not, why not? Are you glad the second lap of the race was added to the DVD or was it too much? How do you feel about the announcers Fode and Beed? Was seeing the Tuskens and Jawas again a rush or not? Did you enjoy seeing Jabba oversee the Boonta Eve race? Is there anyone who wished they race in the movie could have been even LONGER?

Lastly which aspect of the scene did I not cover in these questions that I should have?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've always had ambivalent feelings about the pod races.

First of I didn't enjoy little Ani much in TPM so for me he put a damper on both the pod-races and the space battle above Naboo which are both potentially awesome scenes. I just don't like small kids in action movies that much, especially when they don't ever act like a normal kid would.

Next the pod races themselves. All in all I loved them, but they had some things that I didn't like too. I'll divide my thoughts about them in the good, the bad and the ugly Wink

The Good:
- Crime Lord Jabba organizing the biggest race in the Outer Rim was awesome. For me at that time it was so cool to see Jabba again and see what he was up to before the OT.
-The race pods are ubercool! The idea of a small cockpit just dangling behind two giant engines was a great one and their designs made them look real bad *ss.
-I loved that the sandpeople where taking pop shots at pods thet passed by trough their territory again it was great to see these characters appear on the screen again
-Sebulba the Dug. You got to love the way this species moves and how great a bully Sebulba is. A racer after Jabba's heart i can imagine
-The exhilarating podrace itself and the way they made it look on screen... well, that just blew my mind back then. the high speed races and chases through Tatooine...

The bad:
-As cool as their pods looked the opposite was often true for the racers. Except for Sebulba and Anakin and a few others the idea I get seeing most of them is that they where made just to look funny for the small kids or just looked plain silly and rushed.
It's the only time in both the OT and PT that I really had the feeling the character design wasn't that good. They even managed to make a Gran look less cool than in the OT.
- Shmi Skywalker and her worried face.... boring! I mean get over it, you allowed your boy to race so deal with it already.... No, seriously, I can dig that she's worried, but act a little better or else worry a bit more off screen. Let Qui-gon concentrate for Pete's sake!
-Ani's emergency repair. Probably has something to do with my dislike for little Ani (as stated above), but it seemed like too much to me.

The ugly
The ugly consists of two characters/species who in my opinion where created just to be funny for kids, but go way over the top and end up just being ridiculous. They are the worst designed species IMHO and I do my best to keep them deeply buried in the back of my mind!

I'm talking about this/these ugly jokers:

and Humpty Dumpty here:

To me these characters are wrong in so many ways that I won't even start on it.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

Re: Pod Race!
 PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

wookie_inked wrote:
Which of the racers did you like? Which did you not like? Which is your very favorite? Which did you wish had lived to race again?

Was the pod race enjoyable to you? If not, why not? Are you glad the second lap of the race was added to the DVD or was it too much? How do you feel about the announcers Fode and Beed? Was seeing the Tuskens and Jawas again a rush or not? Did you enjoy seeing Jabba oversee the Boonta Eve race? Is there anyone who wished they race in the movie could have been even LONGER?

Lastly which aspect of the scene did I not cover in these questions that I should have?

Well, all in all I liked them. Around my area, there's a lot of racing going on (at which events even George Lucas often turns up) so that might have affected my viewpoint, but still. The pod race itself was very enjoyable, although I did think it was odd that it only lasted 3 laps, so I think it could have been longer - but it's something easily explained by the high crash rate.

I'm not all that impressed by the announcers, as they didn't really sound all that professional, but I've nothing against the design - indeed, against the design of all the podracers (though I can't remember if I've ever had a favourite) and the little back-story which they all had.

Seeing the Tuskans and Jawas wasn't a particular rush, but a nice addition, a nice mini characterization, I thought.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I didn't care for the podrace scene to be honest, I feel it detracted from what could have been a better storyline. I liked the look of Ode Mandrell (if I even spelled that correctly). I didn't care for the alien guy that had the mustache. I feel that if it put on by Jabba, then some of the participants could have been a bit more shady, same with the crowd, as if the whole thing were illegal, you know? I did like the fact that we got to see Aurra Sing, even if it was just for an instant. I'm sure there could have been a better way for Qui-Gon to acquire Anakin, but I feel it was easier for them to just throw in a race instead of something a bit more complex. However, I may have to create my own chance cube!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote  

Quote:
Which of the racers did you like?

Aldar Beedo, Dud Bolt, Ebe E. Endocott, Mars Guo, Neva Kee, Teemto Pagalies, Wan Sandage, Ratts Tyerell

Quote:
Which did you not like?

Gasgano, Kam Nale, Ody Mandrell, Boles Roor, Ark "Bumpy" Roose, Ben Quadinaros, Anakin

Quote:
Which is your very favorite?

Dud Bolt, the guy just looked awesome...

Quote:
Which did you wish had lived to race again?

Well considering Ratts Tyerell was the only one who died...

Quote:
Was the pod race enjoyable to you? If not, why not?

The pod race was a pretty good idea, throwing back homage to Ben Hur and the famous chariot race. I liked it.

Quote:
Are you glad the second lap of the race was added to the DVD or was it too much?

Second lap!? I was not aware of this. It's the only one I don't have on DVD.

Quote:
How do you feel about the announcers Fode and Beed?

A little annoying and a bit too cartoonish. Is this Star Wars or Wacky Racers?

Quote:
Was seeing the Tuskens and Jawas again a rush or not?

The Tuskens were awesome. I don't remember the Jawas, so no rush there.
Quote:

Did you enjoy seeing Jabba oversee the Boonta Eve race?

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Jabba there. I'm a fan of Hutts.

Quote:
Is there anyone who wished they race in the movie could have been even LONGER?

Maybe...maybe not. It's been a while since I've seen it. If it was longer, it would have to server some purpose. I can't think of any real reason to do so. Everything that needed to be done was done, and there were plenty of extras. About the only thing they could add would be a Krayt Dragon or some crowd scene with Aura Sing punching someone in the face. Laughing

Quote:

What species would you have like to have seen as a pod racer >>> Ewok!

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Sorry, but I really disliked the podrace scene(s). If it wasn't for the podrace and Jar Jar, TPM would be a great movie. TPM only really existed to show how Ani came under Obi Wan's tutelage, but to make it a feature-length movie, they had to wham in a generic action scene (without much interesting action) and the podrace was born.

Even Maul was important because OWK needed a reason to be on Naboo and Tatooine, and that reason was his Master (QGJ) but that was really QGJ's only main reason for being in the Saga (apart from teaching Yoda and Obi Wan the Force Ghost power) so he needed a reason to not be in the rest of it. And that reason was Maul.

I suppose it serves some purpose as to where Luke gets his knack for flying and technology but it it is literally just shoehorned in to make the movie long enough and appeal to people who weren't really into Sci Fi and Fantasy.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I watched the re-mastered version of Ben-Hur in theatres (it was my first time seeing that movie) and the chariot race was very similar to the podrace. I'd be surprised if it wasn't an influence. Only the chariot race was much better because it served a real purpose unlike the podrace like Dannik said.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I watched the re-mastered version of Ben-Hur in theatres (it was my first time seeing that movie) and the chariot race was very similar to the podrace. I'd be surprised if it wasn't an influence. Only the chariot race was much better because it served a real purpose unlike the podrace like Dannik said.

I bet it was. I mean.. it just has to be.
If someone hasn't seen it yet, here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwi3xROzpSE and see for yourself.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Excellent movie by the way. Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 1