Pirates of the Carribbean
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pirates of the Carribbean
 PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

After a discussion over in Good Thing of the Day it would seem this needs its own thread. Discuss, argue, fight, squabble, agree with one another!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I thought the new movie was great Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'll be seeing the new one on Thursday. I will report back on Friday.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I'll be seeing the new one on Thursday. I will report back on Friday.

I await your review Smile I'll post mine eventually, but I think I'm going to post personal in-depth reviews of all 3 previous ones first

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'll look forward to reading them. Since I don't have the patience to go in depth, I was simply put it this way.

Pirates 1: Awesome. Love it.
Pirates 2: A little weird in places, but good overall.
Pirates 3: It still scares me.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Pirates of the Carribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl: Gotta admit, I was younger when I first saw this one but it introduced me to acting as a profession and brilliance in a character performance. First time I saw it I had a lot of different thoughts on it, but it was a fun film. Orlando Bloom is an actor I hate, but he didn't bother me so much in this movie. Keira Knightly almost always bugs me due to her facial expressions. She has an underbite, it makes her look stuck up. Other than that we had decent performances from them. Geoffry Rush was definitely a favorite of mine. He is so over the top and so ridiculous as a villain that I couldn't NOT love him as Hector Barbossa. On to Johnny Depp. This was such a unique and brilliant performance. It seemed he was eccentric, drunk, and psychotic all at the same time. Jack Sparrow in this first movie is my favorite of his appearances because this is where it is just right. Its unique, its brilliant, and its yet to be topped in this franchise.

Overall I thought the storyline worked despite a few plotholes that almost anyone could catch so I won't go over them. The cursed pirates looked great and the action was exceedingly choreographed but so much fun you couldn't resist cheering for the good guys aloud. You couldn't help but love the way the Black Pearl looked or root for Johnny Depp in his request to recover it.

All in all this was a fantastic movie, and has gone down as a modern classic. As a standalone story in this series it works as the best, the one by which all others are measured. Such a good movie.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I should be seeing the fourth one on Wednesday. I'll let you guys know what I think.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest: Second parts of stories can sometimes fall short, but this opening of a second story in the Pirates series led me to believe that it had a lot of potential. The visual effects were phenomenal, they really stepped it up. The Kraken was gorgeous, the design of the Flying Dutchman was perfect, and the cursed crewman looked great as well.

Davy Jones is perhaps my favorite character in the franchise. I love the tragic ones, I really do. He wasn't always a bad person, he fell in love and she hurt him. As a result he became what he is when we see him: a brutal, merciless captain who cannot die due to the loss of his heart. Because he didn't do his job he has taken the form of the sea he sails on, as has his crew. His ship is covered in barnacles that are eventually revealed to be absorbed crew members who have been on the ship a long time. Jones is my favorite due to his look, his personality, and his tragic backstory. He is the ultimate villain because he's not actually evil, he's broken inside.

Jack Sparrow was still fairly decent in this one. His quirks were pushed further though, and it worried me. He began to get a tad over the top but it was entertaining. Every scene, whether it was the cannibals or in discussion with Davy Jones, was fun with him.

Will Turner was ok. In fact he and his bride-to-be were only ok from this point on in the franchise. His whole insane chase and instant trust of Jack Sparrow without question even though he's tricked him in the past kind of bothered me. And Keira Knightly proved to be less of a good person and more of a ruthless one with her betrayal of Jack.

Cutler Beckett was ok. Not amazing, not bad, just ok.

Overall I liked this one just as good as, if not better than, the first one. Davy Jones is my favorite character and my other favorite character had a last second appearance which made the movie even better for me!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Pirates of the Carribbean: At World's End: And now we come to the finale of the Davy Jones story. I'll get the overall opinion out of the way and say that this one was bloated, convoluted, full of plot holes, too long, and needed to be two movies. Now onto details...

Lets start with the bad. Calypso as Tia Dalma was ok, but her becoming a 50 foot woman who yelled in a different language and then dissolving into crabs (making her rife for STD jokes) kinda didn't do it for me. In context of the film there were just so many ways they could have done it better. Another bad thing was the length. It was about half an hour to forty five minutes to long. It should have been split into two movies: one about rescuing Sparrow, one detailing the war between the East India Trading Company and the pirates. Another thing: did anyone else catch that the movie was an attack on big business corporations vs. private business owners regardless of the fact that it was produced by Disney which is thought to be the most corrupt, offensive, immoral, and indecent company out there? Just thought that was funny.

Onto the high points.

The beginning. I was hooked. Holy freaking crap, they hung a small child in the first two minutes. Right off this was put forth to be a more hardcore and dark film than the previous two, and the second one was indeed darker than the first already.

Davy Jones is still awesome. Whether he's pining for Calypso, hiding his part in her imprisonment, attempting to maintain control of the Dutchman, or crossing blades with Jack he is still amazing as a villain. His interaction with Beckett excites me as well, it was well done. The only thing that annoyed me was that his catchphrase was overused. His saying "Do you fear death" became annoying instead of intimidating. Other than that he was perfect. His death was beautiful, he fell into Calypso's waiting arms to spend eternity for them. I'm a sucker for romance ladies and gents, what can I say.

Jack was ok. He became more cartoony and less of a unique character. Some of his appearances were ok, most were annoying. That's all I'll say.

Barbossa was awesome. Every second he was on screen outside the releasing of Calypso scene was gold, that's all I'll say about him.

The entire Davy Jone's locker segment was interesting to me. I was disappointed in how they got there and how they got out, but other than that it kept my attention. Having said that I believe that the entirety of that segment (getting the chart, getting to the locker, getting back) should have been a movie in and of itself. Incorporate the death of the Kraken into it and it would have been perfect.

In the end this is a fairly poorly executed movie, but its the way it is and despite the quality we got some top-notch performances out of it. Below in the spoiler tags are the things from the insert in the DVD. They were meant to clear up questions about the movie because of how unclear and cobbled together it felt. Hopefully it helps some of you, it did me a little and I have come to an understanding with the movie after reading some of it, while others annoy me. Judge for yourself, I'm posting all of it.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Hope that helps. Some of it did me, some of it just ticked me off at the laziness of the Disney in thinking that instead of making a competent film they'd just make up explanations.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Pirates of the Carribbean: On Stranger Tides: Entire review will be in spoiler tags to avoid releasing spoilers for anyone...

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Will be seeing it, hopefully, at the weekend, so I hope you'll forgive me if I don't read your last post at another date Wink

On the whole, I agree with you about the films, though on a few points I disagree. I never stopped liking Jack as a character. I remember one scene in particular - in Dead Man's Chest - where there's a pause in the three-way fight (so many crossing sword jokes crossed my mind that I was grinning like an idiot for days after!), and he looks at the other two as if to say 'what am I doing here?'.

As to the third, I thought it was okay. Not as good as the first, but for some strange reason I understand convoluted stories. They speak to me. But, yeah, the way some of the characters behaved just had me crying, 'but you could have done this instead!'

as to Calypso, as I've said, the only thing that bothered me was her becoming an Amazon woman. I - er - am not attracted to taller women... Rolling Eyes
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I loved the first two (especially Dead Man's Chest), but the third one left me so disappointed that I haven't watched the movies in a couple years. Recently I re-watched them and I was reminded of the awesomness of the first two. Jack Sparrow (classic performance by my favourite actor), James Norrington (so wasted in At World's End) and Davy Jones (totally agree, Caedus, about him being a great tragic figure). I haven't seen the new one yet. I'm cautiously optimistic.

At World's End had a few great moments but it was a trainwreck on the whole. The whole air of freedom was gone. For a movie that is practically about freedom, it had none of it. It was bogged down completely with subplots. It didn't even feel like a pirate movie. The whole thing was so over the top. The first movie had skeletons, the second had Davy Jones and his crew, but had a mostly realistic setting. Not so in this movie. I didn't believe any of it. The humour that was so great in the first two was ridiculous in this one- a pale imitation of what it once was. The whole idea of being able to bring characters back from the dead was absurd. It took away the consequences of character's deaths. And it was so bloody easy to get to the World's End! Seriously- how many people dies along the way? One or two. Why don't they just go and get everyone everytime someone dies. *headdesk*

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reep I think you die and stay that way, but Jack was specifically taken to Davy Jone's locker so there was a chance. And it took a goddess to revive Barbossa, and she only did i to get released from her human bonds. I don't think that you can just revive anyone, they couldn't save Elizabeth's father.

Having said that I think it was all ridiculous anyway. I think Jack going to and returning from the Locker could have been awesome but it needed work.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay. I guess that makes sense. It was still a remarkably easy trip. Weird, but easy.

One more thing I forgot to mention was the randomness of At World's End. There's Calypso coming out of nowhere of course and the random killing of two major characters. First there was the Kraken. The Kraken is the most powerful force at sea and it is commanded by Davy Jones so what would possess Beckett, who controls Jones, to have it destroyed? Then there was Norrington. A major character in the last two movies who was given a couple brief scenes and then killed just when he'd decided to change sides. It's like the film-makers just decided there wasn't enough room for these characters in this already-convoluted story so they just killed them. Wha..?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

With the Kraken, I think Beckett had Jones kill it after Jones disobeyed him. He had to find a good way to punish him without stabbing the heart.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 3