Star Wars Omnibus Collections
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Wars Omnibus Collections
 PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If you've taken a look at EUCantina's Review section today (or found the announcement on Twitter), you may have noticed that we've posted a review of Omnibus: Early Victories.

Starting with this review, and continuing through the summer season, we'll be running at least one Omnibus review a week until we've got them all reviewed. These are pretty cool collections, but it seems that these large (and slightly more expensive) collections have been known to make fans question whether the material included is what they're looking to read.

Well, these reviews aim to solve that problem completely. I won't be reviewing any Omnibus collection overall (since they're all worth purchasing given the amount of content included), but I will be reviewing each story individually in each review to let readers see what they will experience in each collection. None of these reviews delve into spoiler territory, so you won't have to worry about that.

Hope you all enjoy, and this thread will get updated each time a new review is posted.

Reviews:

Omnibus: Early Victories
Omnibus: Shadows of the Empire
Omnibus: At War with the Empire: Volume 1
Omnibus: Boba Fett
Omnibus: Droids
Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi: Volume 1
Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi: Volume 2

Last edited by VileZero on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:33 pm; edited 7 times in total

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

ahhhh sweet! this will be a very cool feature to keep up with!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Indeed a cool feature!
I'm buying all the omnibusses anyway, but I always like to hear other peoples' perspectives on these stories.
And of course it's a great way to introduce new readers and show them the way into these great collections.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So far I've found the omnibusses quite useful. Interested to see your take on them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Today's review is for Omnibus: Shadows of the Empire

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I didn't realize until today that SOTE had been collected into an Omnibus so I must pick it up. It's been a long time since I lost my trade paperback of the Shadows limited series so this is a good excuse to get it back. Yeah, okay, I'll take the pointless sequel too. Razz

I'm confused why the Emperor's Hand series is in the book. The review didn't unveil any connection between Mara Jade and anything/anyone in SOTE... I missed that series before so I'm happy to get it here to finally read it, I just don't get why this particular omnibus is where they chose to include it. Geez, if anything the Jix story from "Early Victories" should have been saved for this volume due to Shadows being his only other role in the EU.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

wookie_inked wrote:
I didn't realize until today that SOTE had been collected into an Omnibus so I must pick it up. It's been a long time since I lost my trade paperback of the Shadows limited series so this is a good excuse to get it back. Yeah, okay, I'll take the pointless sequel too. Razz

I'm confused why the Emperor's Hand series is in the book. The review didn't unveil any connection between Mara Jade and anything/anyone in SOTE... I missed that series before so I'm happy to get it here to finally read it, I just don't get why this particular omnibus is where they chose to include it. Geez, if anything the Jix story from "Early Victories" should have been saved for this volume due to Shadows being his only other role in the EU.

There really isn't a connection between the Mara Jade collection and the Shadows of the Empire stuff. I do point out in the second paragraph that the villain of each collection are enemies hidden by the shadows of the Empire, meaning the Black Sun (which I don't want to spoil outright in the review). SOTE gets Black Sun, SOTE:E gets an attempted resurgent Black Sun, and Mara Jade fights against a knock-off Black Sun called "Black Nebula."

Otherwise, no connection! And I agree, I'd have loved to see Jix's story in this collection instead too.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

VileZero wrote:
There really isn't a connection between the Mara Jade collection and the Shadows of the Empire stuff. I do point out in the second paragraph that the villain of each collection are enemies hidden by the shadows of the Empire, meaning the Black Sun (which I don't want to spoil outright in the review). SOTE gets Black Sun, SOTE:E gets an attempted resurgent Black Sun, and Mara Jade fights against a knock-off Black Sun called "Black Nebula".

I went back and re-read the review and caught the commonalities there. Very Happy The connections are "thin" as Murtaugh and Riggs would say but I'll go with it.

I can understand the ripoff that is Black Nebula... if you can;t be the greatest most feared criminal enterprise on Coruscant, might as well be a cheap imitation. Laughing Seriously I hope Mara Jade kicked all their asses

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Today's review is for Omnibus: At War with the Empire: Volume 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

We've got a few additional reviews that have been written and are in the pipeline. Estimated time of arrival is "pretty dang soon."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Today's review is for Omnibus: Boba Fett

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Today's review is for Omnibus: Droids.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Another great review!

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Today's review is for Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi: Volume 1

A must-read, IMO, if you're getting ready for The Old Republic!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
A must-read, IMO, if you're getting ready for The Old Republic!

A must-read period, if you ask me. Smile
Great review VileZero.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2