Log in to check your private messages
Season 4 tidbits from Star Wars Weekends
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  YodaBauer2442
Knight
Knight

Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 499
Location: Sofa

Quote:
yeah, me too... Mortis made my brain hurt,


Loved them.

Quote:
Corruption/Academy made me wish I could have my time back,


Hated them.

Quote:
Evil Plans made me long to see Uncle Gundy on TCW someday,


One of my favorite episodes.

Quote:
Heroes on Both Sides gave visions of my kid refusing to ever watch the show again, and Pursuit of Peace made me consider never watching the show again.


Didn't care for either.


Quote:
Season 3 was such a mixed bag... some ARC Troopers in their cool 1.5 armore, the Citadel, the Hutt Council, Master Vos, galaxy's worst bount hunter Greedo, Chairman Papanoida, the Nightsisters, and Chewbacca/Ahsoka vs the Trandoshans were the biggest saving graces for me. I'd very much like to see the show go back to clones vs droids for a few straight episodes in Season 4 without any metaphor to read between the lines.


Quote:
I'm hoping Lutz Bonteri will come back as a Seppy villain at some point, I'm hoping it won't be totally forgotten but who knows.


I hope he will be forgotten forever. I have practically forgotten him already.


Also, I don't understand the Mortis hate. I think everyone just over thinks them.
_________________
"To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits. " Dr. Walter Bishop

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop



View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  VileZero
Master
Master

Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 816
Location: Maryland

Quote:
Also, I don't understand the Mortis hate. I think everyone just over thinks them.


I've talked at length about this with the EUCantina staff, and unfortunately I don't really recall all of my passionate arguments made when the episodes were first airing. That said, I do recall some of them.

My main issue with Mortis extends to the fact that I loathe the 22 minute runtime of the episodes. It allows for sloppy storytelling. There was so much fantasy elements in these episodes that were just never explained. I know its Star Wars, but I want to know why people are changing into creatures. I want to know exactly what would happen if the Son escaped. There were SO MANY questions that were raised, and almost all were never answered because hey - it's way more important for Anakin to see his future and then have his memory erased so that he can do it again in the film.

It was a cop out on every level. It wasn't coherent at all. Qui-Gon just shows up, for no reason and with no explanation, and then he leaves. We don't know what the purpose was, but hey - he was voiced by the actual actor so who cares. I'm not saying that everything has to be explained, but when the show ended and I realized just how much was never touched upon or answered, I felt cheated. This was supposed to be a huge mythological trilogy about the Force and the Chosen One, and absolutely none of it had any new light shed upon it.

It's a kids show, I know. But there are times when the writers throw out stuff to the older fans, or the EU fans. And this was just one of those sets of episodes where the writer thought all the older fans were just idiots. It's not a case of overthinking, it's a case of having standards and knowing when what you just watched was garbage. Now, that's my opinion. I'm not stating it as fact, because everyone likes different things. But for me, Mortis was the epitome of lazy storytelling that was justified by trying to give fans cool stuff like the aforementioned turn to the dark side. I saw through it. It was three episodes of struggling to find a coherent plot, all for the sake of that one moment in the third episode. Awful awful awful.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Crash Override
Master
Master

Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 1962

So the ambiguity was the problem?


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  wookie_inked
Knight
Knight

Joined: 13 Apr 2011
Posts: 397
Location: western NY

LivingJediDream wrote:
So the ambiguity was the problem?

in the case of Mortis, yeah, IMO it was the problem


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  VileZero
Master
Master

Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 816
Location: Maryland

LivingJediDream wrote:
So the ambiguity was the problem?


Not so much that ambiguity in general is a problem. I'm a diehard LOST fan, and that show is just built upon layers and layers of ingenious ambiguity. I think my problem stems from the fact that ambiguity isn't a staple of Star Wars, the same movie franchise that explained the Force as midichlorians. These episodes didn't have to have so much ambiguous stuff to be good, and it got to the point where it was just too much to enjoy.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Crash Override
Master
Master

Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 1962

VileZero wrote:
LivingJediDream wrote:
So the ambiguity was the problem?


Not so much that ambiguity in general is a problem. I'm a diehard LOST fan, and that show is just built upon layers and layers of ingenious ambiguity. I think my problem stems from the fact that ambiguity isn't a staple of Star Wars, the same movie franchise that explained the Force as midichlorians. These episodes didn't have to have so much ambiguous stuff to be good, and it got to the point where it was just too much to enjoy.


I think there's a bit of ambiguity in Star Wars, whether it be the cave sequence that Mortis was based upon, or whether Anakin was conceived by the Force or by Darth Plagueis, or what the actual function of the midichlorians is -- IMO, Lucas threw them in simply to reinforce the symbiosis theme that runs throughout the film, but Qui-Gon's lines about them don't tell us anything we don't already know.. it doesn't explain the mechanism at all, it just adds a middleman as an example of symbiosis. The Force itself is left pretty ambiguous, especially once Lucas threw in the idea that it has a will. That an episode explaining the Force maintains that sense of ambiguity makes sense to me.

And then in the EU you have Vergere.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Mara Jade Skywalker
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 15 Feb 2008
Posts: 5534
Location: Beyond Shadows

LivingJediDream wrote:
And then in the EU you have Vergere.


Laughing

I don't know how you meant it, but that line right there could be on a t-shirt or a coffee cup. Love it. Very Happy
_________________

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker



View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  YodaBauer2442
Knight
Knight

Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 499
Location: Sofa

My main issue with Mortis extends to the fact that I loathe the 22 minute runtime of the episodes.

I realize that you did not make this point specifically but I want to address something here. Why is it that a 22 minute show does not tell a story well enough, but the 5 minute show did?

but I want to know why people are changing into creatures. I want to know exactly what would happen if the Son escaped. There were SO MANY questions that were raised, and almost all were never answered because hey - it's way more important for Anakin to see his future and then have his memory erased so that he can do it again in the film.

Here's where I think people think too much, or rather take things too literally. Nothing seems to indicate any of these episodes actually happened. I had a pretty good feeling from the start that's how it would play out. I don't see anything to say that idea was wrong. If it didn't actually happen, then the specific answers don't really matter. Kinda like how was a limbo from a nuke in Lost. No overly detailed explanation, it just was. Wink

It wasn't coherent at all. Qui-Gon just shows up, for no reason and with no explanation, and then he leaves.

See above point.

This was supposed to be a huge mythological trilogy about the Force and the Chosen One, and absolutely none of it had any new light shed upon it.

There was plenty of information, just symbolic information. The character's not remembering it doesn't mean it's not true. Lucas wanted to give his view of the Force, but TCW can't have an essential guide like episode, show he had to frame it a certain way.

And this was just one of those sets of episodes where the writer thought all the older fans were just idiots.

How so?


But for me, Mortis was the epitome of lazy storytelling that was justified by trying to give fans cool stuff

I would argue it wasn't a storytelling episode and looking for the story within the episodes so much that you ignore the connections to the films is what causes the dissonance. But that's just my opinion Smile
_________________
"To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits. " Dr. Walter Bishop

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop



View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Old Master Ben
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Posts: 2259
Location: Georgia

YodaBauer2442 wrote:

I realize that you did not make this point specifically but I want to address something here. Why is it that a 22 minute show does not tell a story well enough, but the 5 minute show did?


The 5 minute show understood its role and kept the story emphasis low and the action high. TCW has a tendency of trying to put a movie sized plot or event into a 22 minute show. It's good that they're ambitious, but sometimes it's just impossible to do.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

 PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  YodaBauer2442
Knight
Knight

Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 499
Location: Sofa

The 5 minute show understood its role and kept the story emphasis low and the action high. TCW has a tendency of trying to put a movie sized plot or event into a 22 minute show. It's good that they're ambitious, but sometimes it's just impossible to do.

In the case of the Mortis trilogy though it wasn't a 22 minute episode, it was a 66 minute episode. That's not trying to pack anything into too small a story line. Hour long dramas only get 44 minutes to tell a story.

But overall I can see your point. The 2D series didn't not try and tell too much of a story, however, Ventress had some bit of a story, as did Anakin with his vision of his future self. These stories were kept simple though. Still, I guess I just don't know what people are expecting. If the concept of a 22 minute series trying to tell a story is where you see a flaw, then I respect your opinion, and I respectfully disagree. But given the fact that the show has only 22 minutes to tell a story, in my opinion the show does a fantastic job overall. Where it falls flat is usually in the story itself and not how that story fits into 22 minutes. For example, in my opinion, The Academy was a poor concept, thus one of the worst episodes of the series. But it wasn't because they only had 22 minutes, it's cause they didn't have something to work with from the beginning. Whereas Rookies was a fantastic story that fit well within 22 minutes. They developed new characters, had action scenes, had drama, and kept it all clean.
_________________
"To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits. " Dr. Walter Bishop

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop



View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  DarkSideSon
Knight
Knight

Joined: 10 Apr 2011
Posts: 169
Location: A floating diamond which no-one really seems to acknowledge

James Arnold Taylor's stage show.

I highly recommend you watch it, it's FREAKIN' hilarious. Laughing
_________________
"The Son has risen. Let the discussion begin!"


View user's profile Send private message

Re: Season 4 tidbits from Star Wars Weekends
 PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote  
Message
  JediConsular
Padawan
Padawan

Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Posts: 53
Location: A galaxy far, far away...

JediMara77 wrote:
I was at the first day of Star Wars Weekends and Dave Filoni revealed a few Season 4 tidbits during his Behind the Force show.


Thank you for the information, JediMara77! I'm very much looking forward to Season 4.
_________________
"Many of the truths we cling to, depend greatly on our own point of view" ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi
R2 Slide


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Life Is The Path
Master
Master

Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 3858
Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Not exactly from Star Wars weekend, but a season 4 tidbit. Just saw the write up for the new Forcecast episode, and it says Filoni has revealed the tagline for season 4. Am listening to it now. If they have it, I'll provide it here.
_________________
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote  
Message
  JediConsular
Padawan
Padawan

Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Posts: 53
Location: A galaxy far, far away...

Thank you!
_________________
"Many of the truths we cling to, depend greatly on our own point of view" ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi
R2 Slide


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Life Is The Path
Master
Master

Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 3858
Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Well, it's apparently 'Battle Lines', which, I think, means several members on here will get their wish in a return to actual clones a-warring
_________________
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.


View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 2 of 3
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Display posts from previous:

  

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights 2 by Scott Stubblefield