What Star Wars Book To Read Next
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
What Star Wars Book To Read Next
 PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Salutations, all.

Here is the place where you can ask your forum peeps advice on a book (novel, comic, factual or otherwise) that you're thinking of buying, but not too sure if it's worth it. Or, simply, if you want to have a mad plunge into an era or type of book you've previously left unexplored!

Tally ho!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

As some of you may know, I did have a request, which I asked in another thread, about a mad plunge into the PT era.

It may be a good idea if I list what books I have at the moment: Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith, Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, the RC series and Imperial Commando. That's it.

The books I'm thinking of getting are:

Cloak of Deception
Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
Shatterpoint
Medstar I: Battle Surgeons
Medstar II: JedI Healer
Jedi Trial
Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

And, thanks to Dream, I'm pursuaded to try:

Coruscant Nights Tetralogy:
Jedi Twilight
Street of Shadows
Patterns of the Force
The Last Jedi

What do you all reckon? Should there be something included/omitted?

Please and thank you!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If you're going to read the Coruscant Nights stuff, you'll want to start at the beginning.

That means Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter first. From there, the story continues with the Medstar books, and then (sort of) wraps up with the Coruscant Nights stuff.

Out of that list, I'd also suggest Shatterpoint and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Save the Coruscant Nights material for later. Read Shatterpoint right now, and then read Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. They are two of the best prequel books, along with the ROTS novelization.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

So I've read I, Jedi awhile back, and I'm thinking of getting the Jedi Academy trilogy, however, I heard that I, Jedi was written in order to retcon some things in the JA trilogy. If that is the case, is reading the JA trilogy worth it? Oh, and I also plan to pick up the entire NJO series on Thursday or Friday.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd recommend the Medstar books and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Be wary of spending money on Coruscant Nights though.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Cloak of Deception was a dry book... Not bad, not at all, but it's not fun. It's all political stuff that fills in all the details about the corruption in the Senate that Valorum was missing and the accusations that Palpatine told Amidala about before she called for the vote of no confidence that led to him being booted out of the Chancellor seat. Despite Qui-Gon being on the cover of the book, his role wasn't as cool as I was hoping for.

It's not on your list but I suggest you avoid The Approaching Storm at all costs. It's plodding, overly long, and ultimately accomplishes nothing. The whole reason for the book was to explain the backstory to Mace Windu's line, "They've just returned from a border dispute on Ansion" in regards to Kenobi and Skywalker. At the end of the book, all I could think was I wished they hadn't bothered to tell the story afterall. Confused Unless you totally run out of EU books to read, that's the only condition that should result in reading that snore.

Dark Rendezvous, hells yes! Read it and enjoy! It's a great book for Yoda, it greater book for Dooku, and the Gran Jedi in it (whose name escapes me at the moment) is a character I wish Hasbro would give us a figure of. I read the book on a whim after I started it in the VA doctor's office one day as a giveaway book in the waiting room, I had never heard of it before. Good stuff.

Personally I must recommend Jedi Trial as it is one of my favorite prequel-era books. Oh hell, it might well be my very favorite, I loved every word of it all three times I've been through the book.

The Cestus Deception is one I really need to read based on the interview with the author I listened to over on The Star Wars Book Report. I have I have yet to read the Medstar books but I fully intend to at some point.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Severity wrote:
So I've read I, Jedi awhile back, and I'm thinking of getting the Jedi Academy trilogy, however, I heard that I, Jedi was written in order to retcon some things in the JA trilogy. If that is the case, is reading the JA trilogy worth it? Oh, and I also plan to pick up the entire NJO series on Thursday or Friday.

Compared to most EU, my impression of the Jedi Academy series when I tried re-reading it was that it reads like it's targeted more toward a young adult audience. YMMV.

I'm really hesitant to make recommendations on certain books I think are great, because it seems that a lot of them are contingent upon whether the reader likes certain ideas, like the noir elements in Coruscant Nights. Same with Shatterpoint. It's a SW take on Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now, and I know some people are turned off by that. It's a lot more serious and dark that most Star Wars stories are. Some people even dislike Traitor, which I think is probably the best SW novel in existent, because it's light on action and cast, and very cerebral.

For instance, I personally am not overly fond of Dark Rendezvous. I recognize it's a quality book, but for some reason that dog won't hunt for me, so to speak. Can't place my finger on why.

So with that caveat, my must-reads are (in chronological order):
Cloak of Deception
Shadow Hunter
Revenge of the Sith
Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command
Specter of the Past
Vision of the Future
Traitor
Destiny's Way (Sorry Mara and Padme)
The Unifying Force

If you enjoyed Shadow Hunter, I'd suggest following up with the Medstar duology and the Coruscant Nights trilogy. If you enjoyed Revenge of the Sith, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, and Traitor, I'd recommend Shatterpoint. If you enjoyed Cloak of Deception, I'd recommend Labyrinth of Evil, Hero's Trial, and Jedi Eclipse. If you enjoyed the five Zahn books I listed, I'd recommend Survivor's Quest, Outbound Flight, and Allegiance.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Since it seems we all have slightly different opinions, this thread may do nothing but give you a headache! But here are my recommendations:

Must Read (in the following order):

Shadow Hunter
MedStar Duo

Not Necessary (but following the above order):

Coruscant Nights

Must Read (no particular order):

Shatterpoint

Whatever (no order):

Dark Rendezvous
Jedi Trial

Don't Read Unless You're Up For It (no order):

Cloak of Deception

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I find your lack of Traitor disturbing. Or are we limited to prequel era stuff and I screwed it up by recommending non-prequel stuff?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ha, sorry. I was only including the things Life listed above. Smile

Otherwise, Traitor would most definitely be considered a mandatory read!

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ah, I just recommended my entire collection of favorites.

I could expand to Dark Horse stuff, short stories, and video games if people are interested in my recommendations. My signature, if you know what the pictures are from, is a hint toward some of those.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I personally wasn't huge on the MedStar books or Coruscant Nights. To me, Star Wars is all about things that are EPIC (emphasis is important here). Big heroes, evil villains, massive battles, etc. Lord of the Rings in space.

All of the Michael Reaves books are about regular folks. That does have its place, and they are interesting stories, but they are by no means EPIC.

Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter is also about an Everyman, Lorn Pavan, and his faithful droid, but also Darth Maul, evil Dark Lord of the Sith. EPIC.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous is great. It has some EPIC moments. But it's also about Padawans. Which is fun. Probably one of my favourites on your list.

I liked Cloak of Deception and Jedi Trial, but I understand what people mean when they say they don't like it.

I think you should add The Clone Wars to the list. It was a really fun novelization. And Karen Traviss adds some cool insights into the characters (especially some of Ahsoka's habits based on the fact that Togrutas are predators.)

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dark Rendezvous is a great book, one of my favourites. The main 3 characters of the prequel trilogies barely feature at all which is good in a way, and there is one wonderfully ironic line near the end of the book.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wow. Some pretty in-depth (and humourous) responses, which have given me quite a bit to think on. So, basically, I should most likely hold off on Cloak of Deception and the CN books - at least until things settle down.

Oh, and Dream, I have read and (that is, if I'm not confusing it with another book) quite liked Traitor, it's merely that I'm not normally a fan of the PT era and have thus far steered away from it, but have recently decided to delve into it.

Thanks very much, all of you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2